Expiring Licenses

@deadliftdiva_548 Unfortunately the availability of Warrior Baek Dong-soo has changed. It’s no longer available in my region (USA). I did see Painter of the Wind and thought it was wonderful. I thank you for the ‘heads up’.

I am so disappointed I want to cancel my Viki Pass subscription. I know it sounds petty but I don’t understand how so many of my favorite dramas have become unavailable practically overnight. Sad.

To add, I don’t hate Viki or anything. In fact, I feel so sad because of how much I love Viki. There is simply no other service out there like this where I can enjoy dramas with a group of people online through the timed-comments. Also, the subs here are just top notch and feel so much more authentic than any other site. I don’t think a competitor will come close.

4 Likes

Guys this is MOST LIKELY why this is happening:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KDRAMA/comments/6nwntp/3_major_korean_channels_kbs_mbc_sbs_have_joined/

They are chargin $6.99 per month and who knows how good the subs will be.

Please don’t blame viki or get angry at them when it’s out of their hands. This is something that is also happening to legal streaming juggernaut, NETFLIX. American TV networks and Movie Studios are creating their own streaming services now that they see how popular they are and yanking their shows off Netflix. It’s always a risk or potential development when it comes to streaming sites.

I have a feeling Dramafever is experiencing or will experience this soon enough too.

10 Likes

I am not angry with Viki exactly. I just wish they would have let us know what was going on instead of letting these licenses drop like flies. Some transparent warning so at least we could prepare ourselves.

6 Likes

Oh yeah, I agree they should have been more transparent about losing their licenses unless they literally just found out right before they were removed (which I doubt but you never know).

At the same time, even if they let us know ahead of time, people would still be upset that they were removing these shows when it’s something that cannot be helped with networks creating their own streaming platforms these days. I understand why people are upset though but I just wanted to provide some more context so people could get a clearer picture of what is going on behind the scenes.

8 Likes

Obviously for those people other countries and other languages just don’t exist.

And then they’ll come out crying like toddlers that those bad torrents stole their toys.

No, IDIOTS, you only pander to your limited favorites and ignore the rest of the market.

I will enjoy laughing when this fails SO MUCH.

1 Like

I just wonder! No, they don’t expire!

I think The 3rd Hospital has lost license in the U.S. :sob::sob:
Months ago I am able to find it but not anymore!

so since all these drama is gone why i am here for? like why i bought my pass thinking i could watch some view drama’s i haven’t seen yet like wth

Wow that news will have an impact, btw KCP(Korea Content Platform) is an American entertainment company founded on November 22, 2016, in Los Angeles, California. This looks a bit of a viki/df mashup, I wonder about subtitling… with subscription you can watch “unlimitedly”, Grand Launch this summer… well the Name Kocowa sounds like Kosovo… I can’t help it’s a slavic sounding word… that’s progress… quo vadis future

1 Like

Well, well after a night of sleep and some more info, I guess …
I am reminded of an old German folk song “Maikäfer flieg”

K-dramaland has burned down for me

So Kocowa is working WITH viki?

But

This just seems like df, - I can’t go there …

And what is viki saying TODAY?

https://blog.viki.com/viki-staff-picks-4-classic-k-dramas-you-can-binge-watch-for-free-ad42592c037b

EXCUSE ME, BUT ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

4 Likes

Sorry for the rant, but what I really, really, really hate is that you can’t just write a comment at the viki blog, but you have to have an account with a 3rd party …
I can’t even anymore.
I have no more words, or I am just tired, I am reminded of my “viki-meltdown” 4 years ago, when I just took a break for several months … maybe I should just do my 500 subtitles and leave it be for the moment.
I feel absolutely miserable, I feel like being thrown under the bus by viki

3 Likes

And all while we were typing subs, seggging, watching our favorite channels and more, right under our noses this happening… https://corp.kaltura.com/company/news/press-release/kcp-selects-kaltura-power-kocowa-its-new-ott-service-premium-korean

1 Like

@simi11
Checked out their site. kocowa tv (Korean Content Wave)
Limited to KBS, MBC, SBS content.
Drama - 94 selections
Variety - 11 selections
K-Pop - 3 selections
Has mobile/tablet app and an internet version (which seems to need some engineering work).
Has monthly and yearly subscriptions, and I think a type of VOD feature.

1 Like

The service will deliver a large collection of premium K-Drama content from the top Korean broadcasters KBS, MBC, SBS and other content partners to users worldwide.

The Kocowa platform is a full-featured OTT service that leverages the entire Kaltura TV Platform, and provides users with a viewing experience on any device. The name Kocowas stands for Korean Content Wave.

“Asia Pacific and specifically Korea is a huge growth area for Kaltura across all of our solutions and industries,” commented Ron Yekutiel, Kaltura co-founder, chairman and CEO.

“We are honored to partner with KCP to help turn their unique vision into a reality by providing the biggest and best online TV experience for K-Drama fans the world over.”

KCP is a joint venture of three major broadcasters in Korea looking to provide a next generation TV experience to users worldwide. KCP’s service is the first ‘Platform in Platform’ (PIP) OTT service. The PIP model allows KCP to bypass the more traditional distribution model, and instead provide virtual access to its content for other OTT service partners.

Kunhee Park, CTO at KCP added: “We are very excited to team up with Kaltura to deliver the world’s most comprehensive OTT service for premium Korean content. Kocowa will provide a fast and reliable VOD service for current K-Drama series, high quality subtitles created by professional translators, and a huge library of the hottest K-Drama content along with Kocowa classics that never get old.”

source:http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/05/16/kocowa-is-new-ott-service-for-premium-korean-content/

You will be made into a lonely binge watcher, nothing a regular viki drama fan wants to be …
Ah, I should just take care of my laundry

P.S. About users worldwide, that is something df is saying for years and years, when I look at that new page and it says not available in your country. I just feel I am back at square one …

3 Likes

LOL, I saw it, just the pronunciation is a hap hap, I speak Czech so I can’t get away from it… well with all this info a page has turned for sure towards the progress of technology, but we knew the Asian wave was coming each year stronger, I just feel that majority is focused on the Americas… I’m going to sleep ttyl :sleeping:

1 Like

DF is indeed claiming they have content for Europe and more then once they tried to lure me into buying their premium service so I could watch the latest Kdrama. It so feels like scamming and I hope nobody outside the US fel for it.

It makes me so angry that other legal companies want to control what I watch and don’t watch and by doing so ruining my hobby.

6 Likes

“noona reviews”

Maybe…I should have been a reviewer of dramas rather than an editor etc here? Goodness…

Four…titles to binge watch. (staring in disbelief).

Well. Thanks to the overlords…yeah…I have so far “VIKI STAFF PICKED 4 classic K dramas to binge watch”. :frowning:

Because they’re removing them, and it’s one last look at some of my drama friends.

Some of my reviews are on those pages…and….yeah. I still can’t believe WBDS is on this list for demolition.

I never did get the lyrics of the absolutely amazing songs from that show. They didn’t sub them…just a couple of tantalizing words in one episode…

Yeah back to watching the Great Doctor. Title ONE on my “viki staff selected classic K Drama BINGE WATCH”.

KURAMA

1 Like

WBDS is still um…at DF.

From what they are saying further down this thread - watch it quickly I guess.

WBDS came up for me earlier even the “not available” banner is already up. :frowning:

try a video see if it works.

back to Binge watching my Viki Staff Selected FOUR DRAMAS.

WBDS still available in Poland. Am I allowed to write it here? Just use VPN if you want to watch or download all of the expiried dramas, they are still here.