Favorite Christmas music or movie?

I know that for many of us, holidays just won’t be the same this year. In fact, my guitar instructor worked with Gary LeVox, the lead vocalist of the Rascal Flatts, on a new song called “Christmas Will Be Different This Year” that just got released. Still, I am trying to get into the holiday spirit and hearing Christmas music on the radio is reminding me that it is that time of the year. What is your favorite Christmas music or movie?

5 Likes

Mariah Carey: All I want for Christmas is my fave christmas song. We were playing it today bc my daughter was setting up a tiny tree we bought. Is good to hear fun songs to forget the bad things;

4 Likes

That’s my kids’ and my favorite, too!

3 Likes

This is what I listen during Christmas time ever since it came out (although I can’t understand anything :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing! My daughter live streams her ukulele playing sometimes on RedditSessions and she is planning on live streaming some Christmas songs. Maybe she can add this to her list of songs.:blush:

2 Likes
6 Likes

Wow @mirjam_465, you pretty much covered everything, from classic to pop, from everywhere! Thanks for getting me in the mood.:wink: One thing though, the fourth video shows unavailable.

2 Likes

Maybe this version works:

2 Likes

Oh yes :grinning:

Since the 80s are my music time, this song is a “must listen” Band Aid - Do they know it’s Christmas (1984)

Frankie goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love

And yes, I love it! :heart_eyes: Last Christmas from Wham!

Melanie Thornton - Wonderful Dream (Coca Cola Song)

Chris Rea - Driving home for Christmas

Jumping to Korean/Asian Songs - DBSK - Magic Castle

EXO - Miracles in December

TVXQ - Winter Rose

A traditional German christmas song - Leise rieselt der Schnee - Sarah Connor

Stille Nacht Heilige Nacht - Helene Fischer

And who knows the wonderful fairytale movie “Drei Nüsse für Aschenbrödel”? It’s not only for children, but for adults too and in Germany we have huge fanbase for this movie. In 2009 the instrumental soundtrack was made into a song: Ella Endlich - Küss Mich, Halt Mich, Lieb Mich
So this song is not really a Christmas song, but it belongs to the Christmas time :grinning:

7 Likes

I love the 80s music as well and “Last Christmas” from Wham! is another of my family favorites. I’ve heard many renditions of Silent Night but I really enjoyed Helene Fischer’s, especially with the orchestra.

I changed the topic to include Christmas movies. My favorites are “Planes, Trains and Automobiles” (although it was more about Thanksgiving) and “Love Actually”. I don’t usually re-watch movies but those two are exception. By the way, “Christmas Is All Around” sung by Billy Mack in “Love Actually” is quite catchy I have to say.

2 Likes

We “hate” it when the Christmas season (in the sense of sales time) starts early (around end of september/beginning of october). But every year we wager who will hear “Last Christmas” on the radio first. :grinning:

I vote for “Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel” and the music piece (a sort of waltz). But I like “Love actually” too. “About a boy” is also about Christmas (a little bit) and I like Nicholas Hoult, Hugh Grant, Toni Colette, Rachel Weisz …

Besides songs in my native tongue I like “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentleman” a lot.

2 Likes

I really love this fairytale Movie “3 Nüsse für Aschenbrödel” it’s a version of Cinderella, but this “Aschenbrödel” can hunt, is a kind of tomboy, she’s a very good crossbow"woman".

Another movie, that I really love (I’m into slapstick ^^) is Christmas Vacation (Family Griswold)

My parents always watched “Loriot - Weihnachten bei Familie Hoppenstedt” and we love it too. It’s from 1978 and a sketch from the famous German comedian “Loriot”, who was known for his dry and black humour. It portraits perfectly the consumer society and makes fun of those costums. :grinning: And I found a video with English subtitles.

Other movies, we love and watch in the Christmas time are Love Actually, The Grinch, It’s a wonderful life and of course we need some action, so there’s Die Hard 1 & 2, which takes place on Christmas.

5 Likes

Netflix, Hulu, prime, has a bunch of christmas movies, would love to get hallmark, but funds too short for me to do that.

silent night! goose bumps!! love it I could listen to that all day!! this is a childhood memory!!

wow got some songs to listen to! thanks, y’all

ok a quiz, wonder if you know, what song was sung that christmas eve between enemy soldiers in ww11, and as faras I know was made into a movie? anyone know?

… and “Dinner for one” for the New Years Eve

3 Likes

loved them all!
thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Silent Night, I knew, but had to google the movie.

1 Like

you got it, IK need to see the movie again too, when I first seen it, I cried, and thats been many years ago! so you get a lollipop! hehehehe

2 Likes

Need that one as well otherwise Christmas feels not complete.
And these movies.

Songs

and a popular children song in German, about Christmas bakery hope you enjoy it

4 Likes

Good ones! I almost forgot but Feliz Navidad is such a fun song.

I think “The Elf”, starting Will Ferrell, is another fun family movie for Christmas.

2 Likes

I see this movie year after year since I was a teenager, and enjoy it so much every time, and I hope they never stop putting it on TV during christmas season bc I would feel very, very sad.

2 Likes