General Discussion: The thread is open to express whatever you want to write about

THE VIKI ONE LINERS: That is no longer useful.
THE OLD MOVIES/DRAMAS: No one is watching them and we could use more different dramas/videos instead.
Badly subbed dramas or movies.AUTOMATIC DELETION OF THIS VIDEO.
WHAT VIKI.COM STAFF SHOULD DO IS RECRUIT VOLUNTEERS WILLING TO GO THROUGH DRAMAS/MOVIES ETC AND CHECK SUBTITLES. THOSE MISSING MANY EPISODES WITH NO SUBS SHOULD BE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED.
ANY DRAMA CHINESE/ KOREAN OR ANY COUNTRY MUST NOT BE UPLOADED UNTIL A FULL TEAM IS READY TO WORK ON THE DRAMA/movie. WE HAVE HERE AT VIKI MANY DRAMAS/MOVIES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO SUBTITLES ON THEM AND NO HOPE TO HAVE SUBS EVER IN LIFE. some are years old and still have no one willing to work on THEM.
VIKI.COM SITE NEEDS TO CLEAN HOUSE AND THAT CAN BE DONE BY DELETING UNNECESSARY GARBAGE. GOOD STUFF STAY PUT FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF THE VIEWERS. DO SURVEYS OF VIEWERS PREFERENCES TO WATCH
HELP CENTER SECTION NEEDS A REVAMP. NOW REQUEST TO MANAGE ON CHANNEL GOES ON DEAF EARS.
ELIMINATE THE FAN CHANNELS WHY? BC THE WRONG PEOPLE ARE DOING SUBS AND SEGS THAT ARE SO BADLY DONE THEY ARE WORTHLESS!
THE FEEDBACK BUTTON IS USELESS.

1 Like
  1. Why do you feel the need for shouting in all caps?
  2. You are blatantly ignoring millions of Asian people who donā€™t need subtitles. For them, not subtitled (or badly subtitled) series are just as good.
  3. A drama which is not subtitled immediately, or is badly subtitled, or which misses some percentage of subtitles may get love and attention later on by someone who likes it and is willing to work on it, filling gaps and correcting bad work.
  4. You are ignoring those of us who just love old movies just because we are the minority.
    I have personally taken under my wing two black and white classic movies and moved heaven and earth to find people who will help make them shine. Same goes for the KBS Drama Specials which I love but which were badly neglected, and on whom Iā€™m working for the past couple of months.

I do agree about the viki one liners
and I would like to add making the navigation of the site easier, especially the ā€œbehind the scenesā€ part.

12 Likes

I agree with irmar 100%.

One Liner thing is completely useless!

As for the others, they should not get rid of them. I help out with translating from Korean to English, so I donā€™t need subtitles for Korean shows. If they takeout away just because it doesnā€™t have subtitles, Iā€™d be very upset! For a lot of dramas, except for the ones that I worked on, I actually turn the subtitle off when I watch them.

Also, there are some old classics that are over 10 years old, but we have put in so much effort to revise and polish its subtitles past couple years. The prime example is Jewel in the Palace. Some people watch those great dramas over and over again. So why should they be deleted just because they are old?

8 Likes

I think the channel wall (?) or channel info page should be seen in full only from the main page, and not on each episode. For each episode, I would like to go directly to the comment section without having to scroll down the channel info. Maybe they can just simply put a link to the main channel wall on each episode.

6 Likes

Your assumption is wrong. I have received help from many.
For the two classic films: One person pointed out the segmenting problems and suggested what I could do to fix them, another taught me how to save subtitles on a separate file while Iā€™m deleting segments so that I can later put them back, two people added missing Korean-English translations. I fixed descriptions, added pictures etc. on the channel and cover page and now Iā€™m slowly fixing the bad segments and adding the English subtitles back from my files to those segments which were merged. When Iā€™m done I already have someone (a very senior English editor here) who promised to help revise the translation. I have to do the same thing to the Spanish and French, and ask a Chinese person to do the same for the Chinese. I do know which people to ask, Iā€™ve already some contacts here who wonā€™t refuse a helping hand.
As for the Romantic Drama Specials part 1 and part 2 (collections of 8 films each), I also revamped the description and cover pages, nagged the (very busy) CM to split those that werenā€™t split, searched and found (here on discussions) a Korean-English translator who is currently working on one episode which wasnā€™t translated. I asked the English Mod to add some segments for important street signs on one of the episodes, as well as segments for credits (which she did), and I asked a Korean friend here who supplied translation for the street signs. Then I got an amazing Italian team and translated all 16 of them (the last is being finished right now). I wrote reviews and comments on their respective pages to let the people know about them (I have to do it for 4-5 more) and I posted on two Italian facebook groups of k-drama fans about each episode as it came out.

So please donā€™t assume things.

[quote]
My issue is with the oneā€™s that are in such bad shape they are worthless to watch.[/quote]
Again. You really seem to have trouble understanding the concept, so here we go again: ā€œBad shapeā€ and "worthlessā€™ according to you who needs subtitles. For someone who understands the language they are just fine!

8 Likes

I agree with irmar and ajumma2.

1. Iā€™ve been working on transcribing and editing older dramas for a few months now because there are people who do watch it. The fact that you said we should remove them just because theyā€™re old is not acceptable in my opinion.

2. Eliminate fan channels? ā€œBad subs and segsā€? Oh, goodnessā€¦ 90% of fan channels donā€™t even have the episodes uploaded, so I donā€™t understand what you mean by this. Sure, I realize that there are people who go to older dramas to put random subs and segs, but I donā€™t think itā€™s a reason to remove the drama. Also, please do not call someone useless just for making bad subs, because itā€™s just the greed of a Viki Pass that is making them do it, and one cannot control temptation sometimes.

You could bold text instead of using caps.

8 Likes

One liners.
I think they were invented by people who speak no other language.

Iā€™ ve got a few more complaints but I understand Viki is a for profit business, soā€¦

3 Likes

ā€”sorry. wrong threadā€”

It might be new to you (which is a bit surprising), but writing everything in CAPS onlne has been considered shouting/yelling since the 80s, even before internet was widely used by the public.

Here are a few online Neiquette info on using Caps.

http://netiquette.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_number_2_-_Do_not_use_all_caps
https://newrepublic.com/article/117390/netiquette-capitalization-how-caps-became-code-yelling
http://www.education.com/reference/article/netiquette-rules-behavior-internet/

Good luck!

5 Likes

What a topic. :slight_smile: Honestly, I think that if more of us took over and tried to make those old dramas move along, we could get them done. It takes time and effort but it is doable. One thing that I think Viki should emphasize for new volunteers, is the option to start to gain experience on older dramas. The only issue are seggers. Iā€™m a firm believer that people should be trained. The difference between segments done by someone trained and someone who was not, is huge. Iā€™ve been both, so I know.

But subbers should really start with older dramas. Everyone wants to do the most popular on-air drama and thatā€™s just not possible for everyone. I have found new volunteers who have been helpful in finishing up some of the dramas that were abandoned. Case in point, ā€œJewel in the Palace.ā€ The team was able to finish it in Spanish due to volunteers coming in, even it wasnā€™t the newest drama. We were all very proud to be able to have it complete.

When we ask for each otherā€™s help, most of the time, people will say yes. Iā€™ve been lucky to meet many Vikians, who have been extremely helpful in completing older projects. It would take forever to name them all but they know who they are. They make Viki enjoyable and the reason Iā€™m still here working on projects, even if slowly. We keep trying. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@ christina_Love your name! Why not mention the others? Pleaseā€¦

I clearly wrote it is a work in progress, exactly for the reason you stated earlier, badly made segments. That takes a lot to fix when there are already subtitles in them and youā€™re trying to preserve them. When theyā€™re ready Iā€™ll let people know.

1 Like

Hello !

• For scrolling down directly to comments section under any video, thereā€™s a comic strip speech bubble
    (on the main page of the drama too).

• To go back from comments section > top of your page, thereā€™s no Viki button but you have browser shortcuts.
    I know that on Chrome on my computer, I can tap to go directly at the top/bottom of any webpage :
    Fn + Left arrow / Right arrow
    (or you have ā€œendā€ key and a diagonal arrow on your keyboard)

• To go up/down on a page more slowly, I can tap Fn + Up / Down on Chrome.

So maybe, you can look for your browser shorcuts navigation.

1 Like

@piranna I see you are watching Nirvana in Fire aka best chinese drama ever. I am so happy!!!

1 Like

###Formatting tips

• Write in paragraphs, where each paragraph contains a new idea. Add spaces between the paragraphs (i.e. press enter twice).
  • To emphasize text, use italics or bold your text. Highlight your text and click the B or I in the format toolbar at the top of the reply box. Alternatively, use the asterisk shortcuts.

*italicize* will appear as italicize
**bold** will appear as bold

Calm down, calm down, letā€™s stay civil. (This is a note to myself.)

It I had to pick one part of your post to focus onā€¦ Define what ā€œgarbageā€ is and what kind of content you want off the site. Thereā€™s that saying, ā€˜one manā€™s trash is another manā€™s treasure.ā€™ You can survey people all you want, but there is no way to satisfy everyone. In that sense, I donā€™t think deleting content is all that sensible. Someone will get angry. But if they do delete content, it will be after licenses expire, and not just at their whim; Iā€™m sure the business team reviews revenue and stuff like that when they make the decision to keep a show or not.

There are many features Iā€™d like improved or added, but to get rid of, hmmmā€¦

• One liners
    Definitely. Though Iā€™ve never really used the feature, it seems poorly integrated into the rest of the system. No context naturally makes for awkward subs, and then what even happens to the one liners that people create? (Although I actually think a rating system for subs would be interesting to see. It just doesnā€™t feel like it would work with Vikiā€™s model, because if you change the subs for English, youā€™ll have an ā€˜errorā€™ that persists through other languages.)

• Reviews and ratings
    I usually like having ratings, because even if theyā€™re ā€˜inaccurateā€™, I can get a baseline for things, but the longer I see how misused the review/rating system is, the more I want it gone. There are no subs: 1 star. This series is not yet available: 1 star. This series is going to be amazing once it airs: 10 stars. I really liked this show: 4 stars. This section is just a waste of space on my page at this point.

• Non-English comments
    This is somewhat unrealistic as Viki is a site with viewers all over the world. But you asked. Iā€™m not suggesting that everyone should know or learn English. I just donā€™t want to see the comments that arenā€™t in English, whether that means everyone must type in English or if comment sections are divided by language, etc.

On the opposite, I would say itā€™s useful. Not everybody speaks english. Or else weā€™d only have english subs here.

4 Likes

I believe that many of the ideas that everyone contributed in this post are relevant, all should have the same desire to make the Viki a comfortable place, social and something we put aside differences; I agree with some points of view said hereā€¦ :no_mouth:

1 Like

A succession of tiny paragraphs is as annoying as a paragraph thatā€™s too long.

-William Zinsser.

Viki should add some sort of code where ONLY people who actually have the Ninja / Seg. 101 badge on their profile can segment; this will prevent any newbies from creating segs.

You are Spanish, right? Thanks, Iā€™ll keep that in mind for when the English is done.

1 Like