GO TO: Colloquialisms and translations question

Go TO: Colloquialisms and translations question

OMG! Can you imagine a ‘proper’ lady of this ancient historical era saying,
There’s still a buttload of accounts to sort out”?

Where do these off-the-wall subs come from? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Post your crazy original subs here! :crazy_face:

The best crazy subs were in “I was a pet at Dali Temple”. The original, hilariously-WRONG subs seemed to have been done by a guy who moved to the US as a teenager, learned ALL the slang, then said. Yea! I can translate! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

16 Likes

How about in a historical drama, Missing Crown Prince, “People will think I am hitting on someone I just met.”

6 Likes

porkypine The original, hilariously-WRONG subs seemed to have been done by a guy who moved to the US as a teenager, learned ALL the slang, then said. Yea! I can translate!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wow! I bet he still young too; not only that he learned ‘‘slangs’’ in USA. No older adult will make such a ridiculous subtitle in an acient historical drama

BUT this is NOT a USA slang word. I should know I’m in my 60’s and I know for a fact that word has never been a slang word in USA. I have lived here long enough since I was 14 years old. Here’s the evidence for I never talked w/o evidence so I don’t judge wrongly.

Excerpt: Quora

(dated, Britain, New England) A large amount carried in a butt. We spent all day Sunday and picked up a buttload of pecans. (by extension, mildly vulgar, slang) Any large but unspecific amount .

"Butt” actually comes from “botte,” a French and Italian word for boot from Medieval times. (Later, it became “barrel” as well.) So it refers to a container of some kind. People who made hard liquor and wine used the size of these containers to describe the amount they had for sale. Believe it or not, “butts” was a unit of measure (actually “Pipe Butt,” later shortened to “Butt”), along with “Tun,” “Puncheon,” “Hogshead,” “Tierce,” “Barrel,” and “Rundiet.”

PS. BUTTHEAD is a USA slang as far as I know, but never heard buttload slang in the NY. area.

1 Like

Hello! Yes, It is used in western states by young male teenagers, but their slang is crude. French is not a common language in western states since the end of the fur trade era. Spanish is the majority, non-English language in western states.

The origin may have been ‘botte load’ but it was understood as ‘butt load’ by non-French, English speaking people. And the kids out here do mean the crude ‘buttload’, as in full of fecal material. :skunk: Very crude. I had no idea it was from French either.

If the origin was French for botte, that was long forgotten and the crude meaning was substituted.

Languages diverge across 2,500 miles /4,000 KM

4 Likes

As a west-coaster, I am also familiar with the term “buttload” and its close cousin “crap ton.”

4 Likes

:rofl: Oh yea, I have heard that one too. :skunk: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :rofl:

3 Likes

We have an ongoing discussion about these problems here Colloquialisms and translations question

4 Likes

How they change this terrible subtitle? Do you know?: quote/unquote ‘‘There’s still a buttload of accounts to be sorted out.’’

In my opinion the [account] word is outdated since it sounds too modern for an Ancient Historical Era drama.

PS. So you mean the character was referring to s h i t /crap? That’s even worse to accept… :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

1 Like

She was referring to managing the account books from their business.

Yep. It was a very crude ‘translation’. IF you are someone from the western United States, you will think of the crude meaning but, if you are from the East coast, maybe not. Don’t worry, the English team will correct it.

1 Like

Sorry, I was not aware of that. It won’t let me delete this topic.

4 Likes

@porkypine

I guess they’re bringing here at Viki old dramas to fix the subtitles (besides the segments you are fixing of course). I know for a fact viki volunteers would never commit such atrocity, and the RViki Editing team will work their magic in cleaning all that mess. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like