Have Comments Always Been Done Through Disqus?

Screenshot_20200208-150838_Chrome

I remember replying to someone in the comments section, but I never had to agree to all of these…

5 Likes

The same window appeared either on Disqus website, either on Viki website, I don’t remember which one. GDPR at that time.

1 Like

Before, I replied because I was under the impression that the comment section was governed by Viki. I’m certainly not going to use it again, not if I’m forced to agree to all this nonsense. I already lost my privacy using Facebook and YouTube.

6 Likes

From my understanding, Disqus conditions (privacy, analytics, etc.) apply wherever there is Disqus commenting section, that is on a third part website using Disqus or on Disqus website.

Disqus system is like:
They let websites that use Disqus like Viki to moderate, create groups, report and such, while they still collect data from people using their service.
This info must be in terms and conditions when websites interested in Disqus decided to use it.

3 Likes

Oh, wow. No more comments for me then, thank you.

2 Likes

This started a long while ago Disqus took over the viki site comment section. That’s the reason why I no longer bother with the comment section from Disqus bc I won’t agree with those terms. Also, they are always adding PENDING to ALL my comments, and later on they delete the comment even though it was nothing with a curse or insulting. Many times they deleted my comment and I was just praising the drama… so whatever. What worried me the most was the part where it says is viewable and searchable by ANYONE around the World. Too many strange ppl in this world to take that risk.

I completely deleted my FB page for that same reason. Our pictures become their property and we are not even allowed to delete them and with my page completely gone I know I protected my grandkids pics which were my main concern at the time. If I ever decide to make another page I will NEVER EVER post pics of my family or myself. Too risky.

5 Likes

I don’t remember reading or agreeing to this either.

4 Likes

Yes, the utter lack of privacy via Disqus is appalling, but unfortunately these days this is the standard. It’s always best to read the complete privacy policy of any website/online service, where one might reveal personal info, but it’s much more than that nowadays, with data-mining, tracking, personal information bought and sold, etc. scary stuff, indeed.

For your reference, here is the link to the Disqus privacy policy in full: https://help.disqus.com/en/articles/1717103-disqus-privacy-policy

And, here is the outline (from the above Disqus link) of HOW your privacy is invaded:

THE DATA WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
a. Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data that cannot be linked back to a specific person (anonymous data).

b. We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have categorized as follows:

• i. Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, and date of birth.
  • ii. Contact Data includes email address, telephone number, and mailing address.
  • iii. Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, unique Cookie ID, Device ID, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access the Service.
  • iv. Profile Data includes your username and password, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses, marital status, gender, title.
  • v. Usage Data includes information about how you use the Service, and the content of comments that you post.
  • vi. Aggregated Data includes statistical or demographic data for any purpose.
  • vii. Special Data We do not intentionally collect any personal data about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data, or information about criminal convictions and offences. However, if you make comments using the Service that include such data about yourself it will be publicly available and may be processed by Disqus or others.In this case you are consenting to such processing by voluntarily providing the data on a public platform.”

I hope this is helpful for those who may not fully realize the scope of personal privacy invasion via Disqus.

8 Likes

@sheishun

OMG worst than I thought. Invasion of privacy to the extreme. Thank you for sharing this info and opening my/our eyes to all this.

2 Likes

:thinking: don’t we have about the same terms on Viki?
:thinking: volunteers use Disqus to communicate in a team? How then do we communicate?
:thinking: they deleted the Disqus comments section for each ep, so if we’re not going to use Disqus…

They put everything for completeness, but many of these things are nowhere to be found online if you never filled them in. For instance I never put things like real name, marital status, postal address and telephone in any disqus page. So how are they going to get it? And of course many of us put fake names and birth dates like 1.1.2001 or something like that when asked.
So what’s the big deal? I’d worry much more about services like Facebook.

1 Like

Indeed, @irmar you are correct, but it’s the latter three items that hold the more concerning consequences. These items are where tracking and data-mining for profits take place. Of course as @piranna mentioned, Viki has similar items in their privacy policy (although not nearly as concerning regarding data-mining) and anyone using Viki would hopefully be aware of that.

We drama fans joined Viki for their service and should expect that our data/tracking info will be gleaned by Viki. But, regarding the Disqus comments section, unless one pays close attention it may not be clear that the comment section is not owned by Viki but another company, Disqus. Furthermore, once a user partakes in the comments on Viki, their personal info, etc., not to mention tracking, aggregated/statistical info becomes property of Disqus, subject to data-mining and other for-profit marketing business, in many cases without their knowledge.

The comments section (along with reviews, timed comments, episode comments, actor pages, discussions, etc.) is one of the many aspects that make Viki unique and stand-out from the rest. Although I don’t interact through the comments, it’s disconcerting that ones personal data is being mined by a company separate from Viki. I realize it’s been that way for some time now, I’m just adding my two cents with hope that another user, who might be unaware, could better understand the situation.

I’m glad to see that Viki is now requiring users to “agree” (and in affect become aware) to the fact that Disqus also owns their data, as @adrianmorales screenshot relays in the original post.

3 Likes

Thing is… I have never had a “Terms of Use and Privacy Policy” appear for me to agree. I just put my first comment (for team coordination reasons) and there it was. I never agreed to anything!
I am not the type to agree to anything any online platform tells me unless I see them as really really trustworthy. Disqus is a platform I have never heard of before Viki so I would have never agreed to anything had they shown a list of things to agree to.

4 Likes

The first time I went to comment at Viki when the Disqus company was chosen I had this too. Where you had to agree, as if you were to open a real account at Disqus.
I contacted Viki and told them I would never comment again, if that were the rules to join. I was told it was “kind of a bug” a few days later it disappeared.
Nevertheless, I am saddened that so much information from my “internet ways” are going to firms I haven’t even joined such as twitter or facebook, but nothing much we can do about.
Sometimes I miss the possibilities of communication we once had at Viki, but it’s the trend to outsource as many operations from a company that otherwise would need more manpower and cost more money, if it’s good or bad for your product almost seems to have little significance.

4 Likes

@tweet998 Yes, exactly that. The lack of clarification as to a separate company from Viki also owning the data is the troublesome matter. I mostly use Viki via iOS, where there is no mention of Disqus, nor access (that I can find) to Viki or Disqus’ privacy policy. On the web, when one is on the drama page, scroll to the bottom for the comments section and there you will find mention of Disqus, a link to their privacy policy, and at the very bottom of the page there are tiny links to Viki’s Terms, Privacy Policy, etc.

As such: 3E25A9D7-E400-40F1-B736-9CC89CD29B20

Hopefully, Viki has re-implemented the pop-up “Agree” option, informing users of this matter. As a side note, I’ve mostly come to terms with the gathering of our data by the internet companies, since for the most part it’s anonymous. What troubles me is the fact that, although essentially anonymous, our data is being bought and sold for massive profits, endlessly. Ugh, it’s a quandary that isn’t easily solved.

1 Like

Disqus also says:
https://help.disqus.com/en/articles/1717052-common-questions-about-disqus

"What about data ownership — do I own the comments posted through Disqus?

You own your data, period. Further, Disqus makes it easy both to import and export data.

If you’re just getting started, you can bring all of your old comments into Disqus through an easy import process.

Of course, you can always export your existing Disqus comments if you decide at any time to leave Disqus, or need a backup copy of your comments."

:thinking: Not clear

1 Like

On the other hand, Disqus has been immensely useful. Because before it, to comment on a website, you had to register there. Most of the time you never bothered. Whereas now, with one account you can comment on a great multitude of websites. It gives you a great freedom.
Yes, you can also do it through Facebook sometimes, but I never use it because Facebook has my real name and real face, which I wouldn’t want to use for random comments here and there.

1 Like

You really want to have the Disqus comments section for the ep back, right?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Love it :ok_woman: You know I love to kid around.

I just want to have the page back. If Viki decides to make its own platform for comments and ditches Disqus, I’d be perfectly okay with it or even prefer it. Especially if it gave moderating rights to the team leaders.

2 Likes

I’m afraid they wouldn’t give team leaders the right to moderate comments by themselves.
Ex: Viki forum