History around the world

I did my history project based on this. Back then there wasn’t a lot of accurate information on the topic of geisha, especially not on the internet, but I did manage to find out what was known about the culture.

It’s nice to see that people still find the topic interesting and want to correct the misconceptions about geisha (which was also partly due to Memoirs of a Geisha).

Let’s ask Shogo regularly has videos on maiko & geiko culture as well as other Japanese culture. His videos are quite interesting and informative.

1 Like

Riaz does his research well, and brings us a clearer understanding of the past. He answers the question, Who was Haile Selassie?

1 Like

Hanukkah In Kiel, Germany, 1932

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

86-Year-Old Lao Huang, A Cormorant Fisherman Living In Yangshuo, China

This Is Margaret Ann Neve At Age 110 In 1902.⁣ ⁣ She Was Born In 1792 And Died In 1903, Making Her The First Proven Person In Recorded History To Have Lived In 3 Different Centuries

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This Is Shavarsh Karapetyan, A Retired Armenian Swimmer.⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ In 1976, He Had Just Completed A 26 Km (16 Mile) Run When He Heard A Loud Crash

A trolleybus had lost control and had fallen into a reservoir. It was 25 meters (82 ft) off-shore and had sunk to a depth of 10 meters (33 ft).⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ Karapetyan immediately dived into the sewage-infested waters and managed to kick the back window of the trolleybus with his legs, despite zero visibility from the silt that had risen from the bottom. Of the 92 passengers onboard, Karapetyan pulled out 46 people. 20 of whom survived.⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ The combination of cold water and the multiple lacerations from glass shards led him to be hospitalized for 45 days. He developed pneumonia and sepsis. While he was able to recover, damage to his lungs prevented him from continuing his career as a swimmer.⁣⁣

4 Likes

Observing Black History - February 2024.

1 Like