History around the world

Wow! I love these bridges. Thanks so much for sharing!

2 Likes

I also found some more things about history, like why the Chinese was over run in ww2, that was awesome, and theres more

2 Likes

how about Scotland??

1 Like

heres a Christmas tradition from Iceland, I am not going to try and say it

oh and I gave books for our angel tree at our church, really an awesome thing, and the girl in charge was really appreciative of them as well. I would have loved to have gotten a book for christmas, yeah Nancy Drew even the Hardy boys, later than 1936, like the early 50’s my time.

For thousands of years, Central and South American civilizations prepared a chocolaty drink that the Mayans called ka’kao - the drink of the Gods. As shown in this Mayan artwork, brewed cacao was served to kings in golden cups and was prized for its restorative and energizing properties. It was passed down from generation to generation until the tradition was lost.

image|500x500
this is what I call a village

![image|690x460](upload://E6Mytbq0nvsfrex99xg2w3RTPo.jpeg

On New Year’s Eve, an old Irish tradition is to open your door at midnight and let the Old Year Out and the New Year In. The results of 2020 make it necessary to open all our doors, windows, and even the overhead garage doors as wide as possible and well before midnight. We need to make sure this year is out of here

DeceuetemdmgbSelrpS 16 otaanscotstnhr 1oeo:ca52 cPoSdMac ·

Ice Eggs - This rare phenomenon occurs when ice is rolled over by wind and water (Northern Finland)

2 Likes

Lightly? lol … I am supposedly the family genealogist, mainly because I sat around and listened to my grandparents tell me about their grandparents. Here’s something that is interesting. My maternal gramma had it written down that her grandfather was from Calais, Maine. My mom told me that he was a harpooner on a whaler and when the ship when back to Maine, they left him in Lima, Peru at a mission because he was sick. We are talking 1840s here. I always thought it was mean to strand him half way around the world. But after a year or so, he caught a ship north and landed in San Francisco. I mean San Francisco was a wild place back then. Crazy miners bought trade stuff and sent their laundry back and forth to Shanghai, China. SF also traded with Peru and Chile for supplies cuz nothing was coming overland back then.

Probably on that same ship he met my g-g- grandmother fresh from County Tyrone, Ireland. Anyway, they married and lived up around Tomales, Ca. GG-grandpa had a Spanish bible. I never saw it but it was in my grammas cedar chest. My aunt has it. So he must have learned Spanish.

Now the weird thing is we always ‘thought’ he was Irish. Recently I did one of those dna test things and well wonder of wonders! lol Quechua, from Peru and Japanese about 4 generations back and Chinese about 5 generations back. Also Mexico and Taino from Puerto Rico… hmmmm… Talk about a surprise! It makes me wonder if our sailor was telling yarns? That is just too damned much of a coincidence, left in Lima, Peru or maybe FROM Lima, Peru more like it. lol

My gramma who tried to gather all her info never knew her grandparents because they died in a flu epidemic in 1891 and are buried at Mount Hamilton, (San Jose)

My moms father’s side is from the Azores, the mid-Atlantic pit stop for European bound traffic. Yea, we have a lot of interesting genes from that place since it is on the trade routes. That is most likely where the Mexican, Taino and Columbian genes come from… but Japanese threw me because the Japanese closed Nagasaki to Portuguese traders way back around 1600’s thereabouts so the Japanese ancestors coming in from the Azores 4 generations ago is unlikely. Then I found out that Lima, Peru had a high concentration of people from Japan and China who went there back in the 1800s. Makes me wonder if you can pick up genes by association since I have all kinds of friends from all over the place. lol (no, it doesn’t work that way, cuz then I’d throw Shoshone genes from my husband of 22 years) p.s. Shoshone were NOT cannibals. They just kicked butt and left you to rot in the sun.

Interesting to say the least, so who was who? I will never know. But back then in wild and wooly San Francisco, you could reinvent yourself easily. Makes me wonder.

Oh! and Taino definitely use pork in pasteles! (Not people) [The comments earlier are thinking of Carrib from the Lesser Antilles. who warred a lot. Not Taino people.] Most native people of the Americas were NOT cannibals and people would be deeply insulted if you said that to them. However, the Donner party (Europeans) did munch on a few of their fellow travelers when they got snowed in near Lake Tahoe back in 1846/47. (So does the mean that Europeans are all cannibals?) lol

2 Likes

OH, I love it!!! what a mix!! called “Gods garden” yeah I am doing a dance, really interesting, so glad you did share that. Told you I am a genealogy nut! as for the American Indians, I know they weren’t cannibals, but some people think otherwise a shame about the Donner Party, and only a few miles from a fort or something. my 4 or 5th great grand parent also was a whaler from Nantucket, lost at sea, don’t have much about him, his family moved to Guilford County,NC Quaker area, some moved to Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, and so on. I am working on that line trying to get some of the pieces together…

1 Like

It’s their fault for starting out too late. They got snowed in at what’s now known as Donner Lake which is about 5936 feet in elevation. It is up against a very steep escarpment and the road to get there was steep and narrow. Donner Pass is about 7000 feet elevation. It is about 50 steep and treacherous miles back to Reno. Once it snowed, the avalanches closed the road back to Reno and the pass to Sacramento. No one got in or out of the mountains until spring. Even now a winter storm can dump several feet of snow and cut people off. I know because my sister once lived up in Lake Tahoe.

One year I visited her in March and there was no snow. It started lightly snowing the night before I was going to go back home to the Bay Area.
Early the next morning I was still sleeping on my bedroll on the floor and my sister lightly kicked my foot with her toes. “You aren’t going anywhere.”
I looked at her, “Why not?”
She threw a thumb over her shoulder. Look out the window."
It was solid white outside. A spring storm came through and dumped about 8 feet of snow in just a day or two. The passes were closed.
It was so weird digging through the snow to other people’s houses. It became party city up there. Before the snow got too deep at lake level I heard a high pitched scream, :scream: I looked out and saw a woman on skiis hanging onto a water ski rope attached to the back of a 4 wheel drive pickup. They were driving down the road, she screaming at the top of her lungs. She was having fun. :crazy_face: After a day the snow at lake level was over 6 feet deep. I couldn’t get out for about 5 days. They couldn’t clear the roads because the snow just backfilled the road as the plows went through so they had to close all the roads until the storm ended. The low road - Highway 89 along the Truckee river- was closed for about a week or so because of avalanches and the high pass to Truckee was closed too.

Me, I would never to to the Carson City powwow in winter even though the switch dance is hilarious because I did not want to cross the cannibal mountains and get stuck up there. :scream: :innocent: I love it up there in the summer but I will never drive through those mountains in the winter if I can avoid it. :scream: :innocent: :crazy_face:

Donner Pass is super steep - about 6% or about 30 miles - take a look - Donner Pass

2 Likes

great history lesson!! and never been there, but still in USA, been kinda close to it.

1 Like

Enjoy!!

3 Likes

Gorgeous snow carvings! I was going to guess Quebec until I saw that flute. China?

2 Likes

the pictures didn’t give a clue

Happy new year y’all!!

1 Like

Bison are running free in Indiana for the first time in 200 years

Once upon a time, prairie was the primary ecosystem in Indiana, but in the last 200 years, almost all of it has been plowed under for agriculture.
today less than 1 percent of original, native prairie remains.
There are now over 750 species of plants and 250 species of butterflies on the newly restored chunk of prairie, called the Kankakee Sands Nature Preserve.

4 Likes

Hey Berlin has snow
![image|400x500](upload://4U2epmppQnBXcMgojJEWb9PRU2f.jpeg

a 65 food lava dome in Hawaii

Beautiful places in the world

JeartnfugaarSoypd 10o amotnes 2:o38 darrmdedScrhnnPaMn ·

➤ Karijini National Park is an Australian national park centred in the Hamersley Ranges of the Pilbara region in the northwestern section of Western Australia. The park is located north of the Tropic of Capricorn, 1,055 kilometres (656 mi) from the state’s capital city, Perth. Formerly known as Hamersley Range National Park, the park was officially renamed in 1991.

1 Like

I was a Nancy Drew, and Hardy Boys avid reader :laughing: I’m pretty sure I read every available book in my primary school library :smile: I solved many fictional mysteries growing up! Books :books:

1 Like

books were my world as well, and do give me Nancy Drew ands the Hardy boys, Miss Marple, Hurcole Perot and the rest!!

1 Like

#FebruaryIsBlackHistoryMonth

Maya Angelou

:3rd_place_medal::ice_skate:Debie Thomas :ice_skate::3rd_place_medal: #WinterOlympics1988
Screenshot_20220216-133017_Chrome

1 Like

Hahahaha! :rofl: Heart :heart: Ja!l !! It’s been a while since I’ve been :face_with_hand_over_mouth::laughing::joy::joy::rofl: Give it to this thread to take all my Regular’s hearts!! :heart: I’ll be back, after my hearts stock is restored :laughing::smile::laughing::blush:

2 Likes

I thought this video was well put together. I did know most points in this video, but it was good to see it all in one place.

Video about a part of American History

3 Likes

@feyfayer

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 22: U.S. Supreme Court nominee Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson returns from a break in her confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee in the Hart Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill, March 22, 2022 in Washington, DC. Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, President Joe Biden's pick to replace retiring Justice Stephen Breyer on the U.S. Supreme Court, would become the first Black woman to serve on the Supreme Court if confirmed. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 08: Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson speaks at an event U.S. President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris hosted celebrating Jackson's confirmation to the U.S. Supreme Court on the South Lawn of the White House on April 08, 2022 in Washington, DC. Judge Jackson was confirmed by the Senate 53-47 and is set to become the first Black woman to sit on the nation's highest court. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Judge Jackson in remarks: I am the dream of the slave

Mitt Romney applauds Ketanji Brown Jackson’s Supreme Court confirmation

Senate applause Ketanji Brown Jackson vote vpx

Applause erupts in Senate chamber after Brown Jackson is confirmed

Judge Jackson in remarks: I am the dream of the slave

‘‘I have come to set the captives free.’’ The words of the wise and my #1 example to follow in life

like JUDGE KETANJI BROWN JACKSON we can make a difference in other’s people life as long as we don’t GIVE UP, no matter the hurdles we step along the way…

Newsroom

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson quoted Maya Angelou in her remarks on the White House South Lawn following her historic confirmation to the Supreme Court.
Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson quoted Maya Angelou in her remarks on the White House South Lawn following her historic confirmation to the Supreme Court. #CNN #News

Source: CNN

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/04/08/ketanji-brown-jackson-remarks-confirmation-scotus-angelou-vpx.cnn

1 Like

I stumbled over this historical information during Joseon times, it seems Joseon period is divided into 2 halves. There is the talk about the women’s oppression during the second half time of Joseon.
You can see some scenes in Poong, the Joseon Psychiatrist that relate to the women’s strict laws.

3 Likes