History buffs

just would love to know more of the different couintries

I hope you do share

colorado

5 Likes

Well, MY history anywayā€¦ :sunglasses:

Fort Hall Reservation. Idaho - Shoshone - Bannock Tribes.
FortHallAgency1

Tipi Creeping during the annual Festival :smile: Our auntā€™s camp.
tipi-creep-3

And Auntie and Uncle just cuz they are cute in this picture. :smile:
Bell-Lionel-Boyer-2012

Mom, Hubby and sister-in-law - Dressed up for Shoshone reunion near Elko.
IMG_4825

Oh! Winter round dance at Timbee hall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rESXOWXwk7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCxPzez4d8E

Every year they have a Shoshone gathering up near Salmon, Idaho. My husband is Lemhi Shoshone on his dadā€™s side. Agkai Dika band (Salmon eaters) Same band as Sakajawea. His momā€™s side is Boise Bannock. This is my nephew and my sister-in-law. Nephew is something like 6ā€™4" thereabouts.
Forest-Gwyn

We were up salmon fishing by Yellow Pine, Idaho and saw this bear eating a dead deer. (STINKY!) We were about 60 feet away. It was too far for me to see what the bear was eating but hubby had his telephoto lens to look through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is0JVTbRRIY

Up in fish camp, eating. Hubby scolding me. "I told you donā€™t take pictures of me while Iā€™m eating! :rofl: (Iā€™m so bad, I take it anyway.)
garth_poverty

Hubby says. No Pictures! :rofl: ( Yea, I never learn! Took it anyway. I seem to have a whole collection of no-selfie people. :smile:)
no-pictures-Garth
Okā€¦ A better pictureā€¦ His t-shirt is a political statement. Says Fort Hall Jail 83203 (Zip Code) the back has a ball and chain. This references everyone forced off their traditional lands and stuffed onto the reservation.
Garth1

Me hiding behind hubby. (It took me FOREVER to find this dumb picture! As a result of looking, you get all these other pictures!) :grin: Since I am allergic to pictures of me, this is about as good as youā€™re gonna get. I am a member of the No-Selfie generation.:sunglasses:
silly

Usually, they keep IT staff in the dungeon - they figure we have enough Windows (I know, that was terrible. So shoot me :smile: ) but that year, they had to do some remodeling so they stuck us up on the top floor and of course, I grabbed the window seat. ā€˜SENORITYā€™ has itā€™s benefits! for a few months I got a WINDOW VIEW of the ISU quad! My plants loved it! So did I! But of course, before we got too homesick for life outside - away from computers, they captured us and stuck us back in the dungeon. :sob: Bye real window view! Hello Windows background images!
IMG_20141113_120745%20(2)
IMG_20141031_083355

Hereā€™s the real picture of me.
YUK
This one is a fake. :rofl: Itā€™s my one and ONLY selfie! The lighting in that room makes me look like I was in a Terreyton cigarette commercial! 'Iā€™d rather fight than switch!" Two black eyes! lol. I donā€™t normally have dark shadows under my eyes. :joy:
yuk2

We used to live in 15ā€™ x 30ā€™ log cabin when we first got married but after a year or so got a house out in the middle of nowhere. (Ross Fork District - Fort Hall) This was before we planted trees and painted it bomb target blue. The drifts can get as high as the house in bad snow years.
housea
We were 3 months without electricity and 7 months without water. Thatā€™s how long it took to get those set up. Hauling water was fine during summer but winter was approaching. Got water just before Thanksgiving (Nov. 24th) Of course, next spring his sisterā€™s house burnt down and everyone moved to our place for several months. Goods thing I am used to big families. Just like a kdrama! Wall to wall people. Like a giant slumber party. :laughing: That was interesting, trying to get out in the early morning to go to work - in the dark - without stepping on anyone on the way out. :laughing: Over the years we always had someone or more staying over at our place.

Nephew getting the sights set for hunting season.
Forrest

Downtown San Gregorio, Ca - Where my grandpa grew up.
HistoricSanGregorioStore

My grandpa also built the Bay Bridge. IRONWORKERS - Grandpa was a catcher on a rivet crew. 4 guys per crew. The cooker tossed the hot rivet up to the catcher who then held the hot rivet for the tong man to grab who placed it where the rivet goes and the riveter drove it home with the rivet gun. They worked fast.
BB20

Makes me think of my Grandpa sitting on a beam like these guys.
ironworkers

Mi hermanas! I miss my rowdy sisters. :sob: (2 are missing from this photo) We are scattered all over the country now. Thousands of miles apart! It would be so FUN to watch Viki shows with them! The only problem with setting up a watch party with them is 3 of them couldnā€™t operate a computer if their lives depended on it. :roll_eyes: :smirk: :grin:

miHermanas

My son when he was ~~~ about 10?
Barney1986
and Grandson - back in 2011 or so. (My son hasnā€™t set me updated pictures of grandson! Imma ring his neck if I have to go to California to do it! After this damned flu is done with though!)
Barney-Julie-Asher-july-2011-aa

HOME
highpressurefogbank

800px-San_Francisco_from_the_Marin_Headlands_in_March_2019

FortPointSF

My friends kids - Excellent blackmail pictures! :rofl:
Mud girls - Then: :laughing:
MUD-GIRLS

and Now:
Rose-Elisa-2012

Sister-in-law and grandson. Just so cute!
Ahtza-2018

14 Likes

What a cutie pie!
Are these traditional clothes made by hand?
I like tipis, want to sleep in it one day! Have you ever tried?

2 Likes

Yes, everything is made by hand - clothing, headwear - moccasins and all the beadwork too. Fort Hall reservation beadworkers are famous for the best bead work.

If you look inside the family tipis in that tipi creeping photo - they have bunkbeds, rugs, battery lamps, etc. inside for the grandkids! :laughing: But no central firepits. Definitely NOT traditional! The parents go home to sleep and shower. :grin: The tipis at the Festival are set up mainly as changing rooms for dancers and places for the kids to sleep for fun and for tourists to gawk at. But tourists canā€™t go inside them because they are family houses, not museums.

There are places all around Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc. that have tipis set up for the tourists. Of course, you will rarely find one set up in a traditional way with the inner liners and furnishings and stuff. Mostly they are just shells - the poles and outer fabric. But they are fun for tourists.

Oh! If you want to see a tipi set up in a traditional way, go to one of those Mountain men gatherings. they often will have a tipi set up with traditional style furnishings and liners, etc.

In a traditional camp, families have their regular camp positions but tipis are clustered in groups of near relatives. When we go up for salmon fishing, people mostly use modern tents but some families bring up their tipis. Itā€™s a lot of fun when the extended family sets up together. I used to love going fishing with hubby. :smile: Mmm smoked salmon! YUM! I am right there. He catches the fish,. I clean it and put it on ice. Oh! Fresh out of the water salmon, wrapped in foil with some lemons and placed on a firepit grill! Oh MAN! That is SO GOOD! Making myself HUNGRY! :smile:

Actually, no. I have not slept in a tipi. Other than the Festival - set up mainly for tourists to gawk at and for the kids to sleep in - Tipis on the reservation are usually now only used for two purposes - for ceremonial use - Native American Church services and for funerals. My husbandsā€™ family is Native American Church but he follows the pipe and does not attend meetings. We will help out family sponsored Native American Church meetings by cooking, chopping wood, setting up, and helping out however needed but we donā€™t attend the service itself.

And funerals are often the only time someone ever spends in a tipi. When someone passes, as soon as they are released from the mortuary, the family brings them home or to the district lodge and puts them up in one of the tribal tipis used for funerals. Their head is always to the west and the tipi door is to the east. They are huge! Big enough for the coffin and 3 rows of chairs for visitors. and if itā€™s cold, they bring in big propane heaters. But they arenā€™t tipis to live in - no liners - so they are cold anyway even with the heaters. My husband passed in May '19 and it was so darned COLD inside, even right next to that propane heater. Someone always stays all day with the person who is gone. During my hubbyā€™s funeral it was mainly me and uncle who stayed with him during the day. Visitors came to pay their respects all day long but went inside the lodge to eat. And at night, prayers are said and the tipi is closed up for the night, but a few people always stay the whole night keeping company. We never leave the passed one alone. In the lodge or in big army tents set up near the house, there is food to eat. All visitors are expected to eat something - itā€™s like the last meal with your relative /friend. Then the 4th day, all the next of kin crowd into the tipi for prayers, then they bring the casket out, take down the tipi and bring them to the cemetery.

Other customs for funerals are: all pictures of the passed person are put away for a year. Hair is cut. personal stuff like clothing and bedding is burned, their other stuff is given away. Tobacco and new dollars are given to male visitors and cloth is given to female visitors, and also other misc. is stuff given to anyone. And some stuff is set up on tables so anyone can take what they want.

Why tobacco and dollars? Tobacco is used for prayers - smoke represents holy spirit - when you smoke you are taking in holy spirit which is why you canā€™t lie while holding the pipe. Dollars represent wealth.

Cloth represents wealth for women because with cloth you can survive - clothing and shelter.

Hair - it is your connection to spirit. Traditionally hair was never cut except for mourning. When you cut the hair, you are cutting your connection to spirit for the mourning time of one year. The last time my hair was cut was when I was 16. My hair was down to mid-calves. I cut my braid off just below my shoulders. Let me tell you. Cutting your hair is a shock when itā€™s never been cut in decades. Feels like an amputation.

The ones who are in mourning canā€™t do anything other than required stuff like going to work. No dances, no parties, no going out anywhere other than shopping for food. no galivanting around visiting people. You can go to work then directly home. You canā€™t do any hobbies or craftwork like beadwork or making traditional items, etc. You arenā€™t supposed to call to your loved ones because they need to go on their journey not hang around here. Basically, everything is shut down for a year. After a year a memorial is held with a big feast, everyone is invited. Pictures of the passed one are brought out again.

9 Likes

and if I am not mistaken I think my fvamily visited fort hall when we were children. awesome pictures thanks for an uplift!!

2 Likes

So interesting to know!

You have never cut your hair after 16 yo? Am I understanding correctly or am I tired??

I am not sure I still want to sleep in a tipi nowā€¦ funerals brrrr creeping me out!

2 Likes

lol. The last time my hair was cut was when I was 16. That was over 40 years ago. :upside_down_face:

People used to live in tipis in the old days but no longer. Mostly they are only used to Native American church services.

The tribes have giant ones they set up for funerals. No one ever lives in a funeral tipi. In the old days, when someone passed, if there was no high place, like a mountain or a butte, they would put them up in a tipi and seal it off.

3 Likes

try this on for size history buffs

Imagine being born in 1900.

When you are 14 years old

World War I begins

and ends when you are 18,

with 22 million dead.

Shortly after the world pandemic,

flu called ā€²ā€² Spanish ",

killing 50 million people.

You go out alive and free,

and you are 20 years old.

Then at the age of 29 you survive the global economic crisis that started with the collapse of the New York Stock Exchange causing inflation, unemployment and hunger.

Nazis come to power at 33.

You are 39 when world war 2. begins

and it ends when you are 45 during the Holocaust (Shoah), 6 million Jews die.

There will be a total of more than 60 million dead.

When your 52th Korean war begins.

When you are 64, the Vietnam war begins and ends when you are 75.

A baby born in 1985 believes his grandparents have no idea how hard life is,

and survived several wars and disasters.

A boy born in 1995 and 25 today believes that the end of the world when his Amazon package takes more than three days to arrive or if he doesnā€™t exceed 15 likes for his posted photo on Facebook or Instagramā€¦

In 2020., many of us live in comfort, have access to various sources of entertainment at home and often have more than needed.

But people complain about everything.

They have electricity, phone, food, hot water and a roof over their heads.

None of this existed.

But humanity survived much more serious circumstances and never lost the joy of life.

Maybe itā€™s time to be less selfish, stop whining and crying

forgot this pic ture

Ā·

this is the original, what language is this?

Zamislite da ste rođeni 1900.

Kad imaÅ” 14 godina

počinje Prvi svjetski rat

i zavrŔava kad imaŔ 18,

s 22 milijuna mrtvih.

Nedugo zatim svjetska pandemija,

gripa koja se zove ā€²ā€² Å panjolci ",

ubija 50 milijuna ljudi.

IzađeÅ” živ i slobodan,

i imaÅ” 20 godina.

Onda u dobi od 29 godina preživiÅ” globalnu ekonomsku krizu koja je započela raspadom njujorÅ”ke burze izazivajući inflaciju, nezaposlenost i glad.

U 33. na vlast dolaze nacisti.

ImaŔ 39 godina kada počinje 2. svjetski rat

a zavrŔava se kada imaŔ 45 godina za vrijeme Holokausta (Shoah), umre 6 milijuna Židova.

Bit će ukupno viÅ”e od 60 milijuna mrtvih.

Kad ti je 52 korejski rat počinje.

Kada imaŔ 64 godina, rat u Vijetnamu počinje i zavrŔava se kada imaŔ 75. godina.

Beba rođena 1985 godine vjeruje da njegovi baka i djed nemaju pojma koliko je život težak,

i preživio nekoliko ratova i katastrofa.

Dječak rođen 1995 i 25 godina danas vjeruje da je smak svijeta kada njegovom Amazon paketu treba viÅ”e od tri dana da stigne ili ako ne pređe 15 ā€˜ā€™ lajkova ā€˜ā€™ za njegovu objavljenu fotografiju na Facebooku ili Instagramuā€¦

U 2020. godini mnogi od nas žive u udobnosti, imaju pristup različitim izvorima zabave kod kuće i često imamo viÅ”e nego Å”to je potrebno.

Ali ljudi se žale na sve.

Imaju struju, telefon, hranu, toplu vodu i krov nad glavom.

NiŔta od ovoga nije postojalo.

Ali čovječanstvo je preživjelo mnogo ozbiljnije okolnosti i nikada nije izgubilo radost života.

Možda je vrijeme da budeŔ manje sebičan, prestani cviliti i plakati

4 Likes

That looks like Czech!

Interesting and true.

My grandfather, # 2 kid, was born in Bohemia in 1900 - near Prague.
His family started their migration to the US and were in Hungary in 1902 to work on the Austrian Emperor - Franz Josephā€™s estate. They were royal gardeners. # 3 kid was born in Hungary. People forget that there was such a thing as the Austro-Hungarian empire. ā€˜The shot that was heard around the worldā€™ is what started WWI.

By 1904 they were in the United States. The people-processing-guy - (whatever they were called) in Ellis Island could not pronounce their name so it became the closest that he could pronounce it - so their American name was pronounced, ā€˜Senecaā€™. The family never lived in New York city but moved to upstate New York - number 4 kid was born in upstate New York.

By 1906, they were north of Chicago, Illinois and had green houses. They were growing flowers for the Chicago flower markets. # 5 kid born in Illinois.

WWI. My grandfather decided he wanted to go fight the Germans and tried to enlist. He was half way through the line. His mom found out, went there and dragged him home. Grandpa was only 14.

In the Roaring 20ā€™s my grandpa had his own band and even had a radio show on the closing hour for a radio show on one of the Chicago radio stations. Grandpa played violin, saxophone, clarinet. And he could dance! He met my gramma when doing a gig. Her first view of grandpa was when she and her sister were rounding a corner to get into the club. The side door slammed opened and one guy punched another guy in the face who went flying down the stairs! Gramma and her sister wondered if they should go in. They decided to go in and lo and behold, who was the guy who punched that other guy down the stairs? The band leader. My Grandpa. :laughing: Why did he knock that other guy outta the building? That guy was being an insulting ass and did something that completely ticked off my grandpa who punched his lights out. My grandpa even broke his violin over the guys head.

The depression sucked. No jobs.

Grandpa was too old to go fight Germans in WWII so he took that long train ride to California to work in the Kaiser shipyards in Richmond, Ca. Housing was in short supply in the Bay Area at the start of the war so he bunked up in the shipyard dorms. After a year, he found a house and sent for my gramma and his kids. My dad tells me he remembers seeing the Rockies for 4 days before they finally got to Denver. Thatā€™s how clear the air was back then. Now you canā€™t even see the Rockies from Denver.

After the war, grandpa worked in construction, building skyscrapers and later houses.

He collapsed at work in 1962, and like so many other shipyard workers, died of mesothelioma in 1969. They said it was emphesema from smoking. The crime there is that they knew asbestos was hazardous back in the 40ā€™s but they didnā€™t give a damn about the workers who were picking up armfulls of raw asbestos and stuffing it into the bulkheads as a fire retardant. Those workers didnā€™t even have face masks - too expensiveā€™ the rich bosses said. Those workers started dying off in the 50ā€™s. The powers that be, ā€˜hidā€™ the fact that they were dying of a preventable disease. Those rich guys didnā€™t want to pay out for their care so they blamed it on smoking. It wasnā€™t until the 80ā€™s, long after those workers had all died that it became public knowledge.

My gramma died of mesothelioma in the 1988. She worked in the shipyard offices but those were 1 mile from the docks. Her exposure came from doing laundry. Thatā€™s when we knew what had really killed my grandpa.

Now, in 2020, I see those ambulance chasing lawyers advertising for mesothelioma clients. They just tick me off. They canā€™t bring all those workers back to life.

Being in California, we were the only Senecas in the whole wide world. So back in the early 70ā€™s they had an advertisement for Seneca applesauce on TV! I jumped up and yelled, ā€œMOM! WEā€™RE ON TV! BUT THEY SPELLED OUR NAME WRONG! CAN WE GET SOME APPLESAUCE?ā€
From the back room my momā€™s scared voice, ā€œNo! Donā€™t you dare go to the store!ā€ In her mindā€™s eye, she must have seen her horde of proprietary-minded hungry children invading the store to eat all the applesauce right out of the jars. (And some us mighta done it too [EDDIE!]) :laughing: Our nameā€™s on it. Why not?

Locust swarmā€¦ :scream: :sunglasses: :rofl:

4 Likes

(Do you have a diary or a book? So your children will be able to tell this to your grandchildren and grandgrandchildren!)

3 Likes

I agree, I have read a couple of yours, I hope you have them in a journal or something so your children, grandchildren can read these. love them!!

2 Likes

What about you? Any journal or book?

2 Likes

yes I have filed & saved a bunch of stories.

Bacharach is in the state of Rhineland-Palatinate.

1 Like

noor Basha, India

3 Likes

this is more fantasy than history

theres a whole lot of those mythical/mysterious places, more than I imagined. so enjoy

tthis is more for us history buffs

https://www.touropia.com/lost-cities/

1 Like

try this one

heres another one in the USA

2 Likes

Oh! SOOO PRETTY! I immediately stole it and added it to my screensavers! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

image beautiful! need this in my ā€œbucket listā€

The Imperial Palace of the Qing Dynasty.

• The Shang dynasty was the first Chinese dynasty that ruled in the middle and lower Yellow River valley.
  • Qing dynasty was the last imperial dynasty of China ruled what is now modern day China and Mongolia
  • Qin dynasty united all of China under one rule in 221 BC
1 Like

The Code of Hammurabi!

ā€œThe Code of Hammurabi was one of the earliest and most complete written legal codes and was proclaimed by the Babylonian king Hammurabi, who reigned from 1792 to 1750 B.C. Hammurabi expanded the city-state of Babylon along the Euphrates River to unite all of southern Mesopotamia. The Hammurabi code of laws, a collection of 282 rules, established standards for commercial interactions and set fines and punishments to meet the requirements of justice. Hammurabiā€™s Code was carved onto a massive, finger-shaped black stone stele (pillar) that was looted by invaders and finally rediscovered in 1901.ā€
https://www.history.com/topics/ancient-history/hammurabi#:~:text=The%20Hammurabi%20code%20of%20laws,and%20finally%20rediscovered%20in%201901.

It is exhibited in the Louvre museum!

Some articles are crazy, some are quite inspiring!

The origin of the expression ā€œA tooth for a tooth, an eye for an eyeā€:

4 Likes

Interesting! The code of Hammurabi seems kinda harsh but fairly equitable considering how old it is.

4 Likes