History buffs

weird history stuff, the answer will be blurred

5,784 VOTES

Two Masked Men

Submitted by Facebook commenter Juan Crespo:

Riddle: A man leaves home on foot one evening, makes three left turns and arrives back home to find two masked men waiting there. Who are they?

[spoiler]Answer: The catcher and the umpire - the man has made a home run in a baseball game

4,562 VOTES

The Cabin

Submitted by Facebook commenter Matt Bishop:

Riddle: There is a cabin in the woods. There are no footprints around the cabin. There are seven people inside that are all dead. They all died at the same time. There is no one else in the cabin. How did the people die?

Answer: It’s an airplane cabin; the plane crashed in the woods.

[/spoiler]

1 Like

I could do more , but I think 2 is enough to get you started. heres the link if you a mind to look

I hope y’all enjoy these, hey our ancestors told these, way off the wall questions that stumped us. Do you know any historical weird ones??

1 Like

I don’t know if the "other side of the world had these. but its still interesting

THE Place for Military History News and Views https://www.warhistoryonline.com

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

‘Spider Web Tree’ Garners Attention with Unusual and Spindly Growth Pattern

3 Likes

KFC back in the day!
They tasted better too🤣

@frustratedwriter ,
Got two replies after sharing, they both said beautiful. :blush:

2 Likes

I probably should have put this on the family tree link but thought this was good for History Buffs

“Breaker boys,” most 8–12, who worked 60-hour weeks breaking coal when child labor was permitted, 1911. Breaker boys were responsible for breaking up large pieces of coal into smaller ones and removing impurities with hand tools while sitting on a wooden bench in a room filled with coal dust.
#sad #wow #pic #history #foto #pics #Fotos #kids

3 Likes

wow time does change!!

2 Likes

wheres the history buffs???

ENGLANDEXPLORE.COM
Gloucester Cathedral: Kings, Cloisters & Harry Potter | englandexplore
Gloucester Cathedra

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Blarney Castle and Gardens Cork Ireland

North Carolina Highway Historical Markers

5h ·

On June 16, 1903, the U.S. Patent Office registered the trademark of New Bern, pharmacist Caleb Bradham’s new soft drink, Pepsi-Cola.

Fond of concocting fresh syrup flavors to mix with soda water at his drugstore’s soda fountain, Bradham had developed the formula for his new beverage in 1893. His friends initially dubbed it “Brad’s Drink,” but Bradham renamed his product “Pepsi-Cola” in August 1898, combining the names of two of the drink’s ingredients: pepsin, a digestive enzyme, and kola nut extract. Other ingredients were sugar, vanilla and “rare oils.”

Working in his pharmacy’s back room, Bradham launched the Pepsi-Cola Company and incorporated it in 1902. He first applied to register “Pepsi-Cola” as a trademark on September 23 of that year. The application, approved in 1903, described his product as “flavoring syrup for soda water.”

At first, he mixed the syrup and sold it exclusively to soda fountains. Then, realizing that a ready-to-drink beverage might appeal to more people, he began bottling and franchising Pepsi-Cola in 1905. In April of that year, he applied for a second Pepsi-Cola trademark for a “tonic beverage.” Registered a year later, that trademark was renewed and is currently owned by the multinational corporation, PepsiCo, Inc., of Purchase, N.Y.

http://www.ncmarkers.com/Markers.aspx?MarkerId=C-60///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now gotta find the ones for Dr Pepper and Coke

If I recall Dr pepper was used as a medicine

and coke was created by a pharmacist

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

How Coca-Cola Has Managed To Keep Their Recipe Secret For Over 130 Years – rnkr.co/HistoryOfCoclaRecipeWH

How The Coca-Cola Company Has Kept Its Recipe ‘Secret’ For More Than 130 Years

Megan Summers

Megan Summers

Updated September 23, 202114 items

Since its invention by John Pemberton in 1886, Coca-Cola has become the most well known soft drink in the world. Yet who actually knows the Coca-Cola recipe?

On its website, Coca-Cola claims the company’s “secret formula for making Coca-Cola has remained a trade secret for 130 years.” Shrouding the drink’s ingredients in secrecy “creates a natural curiosity about the product itself,” according to social psychologist and marketing expert Ben Voyer.

As the years have passed and speculation concerning the Coke recipe has grown, people have come out of the woodwork claiming to know the recipe and other company secrets. Yet Coca-Cola insists its methods remain unknown by the public. So how does Coca-Cola protect its formula?

• Pemberton Invented Coca-Cola In 1886, But The Formula Was Not Written Down Until 1919

Photo: Unknown / Wikimedia Commons / Public Domain

Pemberton Invented Coca-Cola In 1886, But The Formula Was Not Written Down Until 1919

While Pemberton is technically the creator of the beloved carbonated beverage, he sold the company to Asa Candler soon after its invention in 1886. Pemberton passed in 1888, and Candler became Coca-Cola’s sole proprietor in 1892.

For more than a quarter century, the recipe was disclosed only by word of mouth. When Ernest Woodruff acquired the company in 1919, he used the secret formula as collateral for the loan he needed to finalize the purchase. According to Coca-Cola’s website:

[Woodruff] asked Candler’s son to write the formula down and placed the paper in a vault in the Guaranty Bank in New York until the loan was repaid in 1925. At that point, Woodruff reclaimed the secret formula, returned it to Atlanta and placed it in Trust Company Bank, now SunTrust, where it remained for 86 years until its recent move to the World of Coca-Cola.

1 Like

ok y’all a test for the history buffs, lets see if you know

why does Dr pepper have on its bottles 10-2-4? I just discovered the why just now…have fun!!

I know practically nothing about Asian countries.

I always heard 3rd kingdoms in our various dramas, well I discovered something and thought I’d share this, I hoped you enjoy

2 Likes

I don’t know if the other side of the world relates to this, but thought it is something different. enjoy

we are ancient!!

1 Like

This photograph taken in the 1890s captures a Chinese woman who had her feet bound since childhood. Footbinding was a traditional Chinese practice involving the breaking and tight binding of young girls’ feet to alter their shape and size. The resulting modified feet were referred to as “lotus feet,” while the shoes designed for these feet were called “lotus shoes.” In ancient China, having bound feet was regarded as a symbol of social status and feminine beauty. However, footbinding inflicted great pain, restricted women’s mobility, and led to lifelong disabilities. It was not until the early 20th century that the practice began to decline due to anti-footbinding campaigns. Wealthier urban women abandoned footbinding earlier than their less privileged counterparts in rural areas. As of 2007, only a few elderly Chinese women who had experienced footbinding were still alive.

[#HistoryCaptain](#historycaptain - ရှာဖွေရန်?

2 Likes

This was a brutal practice, I believe back then men liked these small feet or found them even erotic. Another mutilation on women. I once saw in a local museum an exhibit of shoes and these lotus shoes were shown including the history of binding, the shoes were so small and it must have bee gruel to walk on such feet. Apparently it is still done somewhere.

PS Wearing wrong styled shoes can also lead to long term health problems with feet.

1 Like

As another icon from the 80’s has left us leaving us her music that majority can relate to and which left certain memories during teenage hood. Let’s see what was in that era that folks lived :rofl:

more pictures here:

1 Like

and look it, she has some of my maiden name/ hmmmmm, detective??

In 1856, twenty-three-year-old widow Kate Warne walked into the office of the Pinkerton Detective Agency in Chicago, announcing that she had seen the company’s ad and wanted to apply for the job. “Sorry,” Alan Pinkerton told her, “but we don’t have any clerical staff openings. We’re looking to hire a new detective.” Pinkerton would later describe Warne as having a “commanding” presence that morning. “I’m here to apply for the detective position,” she replied. Taken aback, Pinkerton explained to Kate that women aren’t suited to be detectives, and then Kate forcefully and eloquently made her case. Women have access to places male detectives can’t go, she noted, and women can befriend the wives and girlfriends of suspects and gain information from them. Finally, she observed, men tend to become braggards around women who encourage boasting, and women have keen eyes for detail. Pinkerton was convinced. He hired her.

Shortly after Warne was hired, she proved her value as a detective by befriending the wife of a suspect in a major embezzlement case. Warne not only gained the information necessary to arrest and convict the thief, but she discovered where the embezzled funds were hidden and was able to recover nearly all of them. On another case she extracted a confession from a suspect while posing as a fortune teller. Pinkerton was so impressed that he created a Women’s Detective Bureau within his agency and made Kate Warne the leader of it.

In her most famous case, Kate Warne may have changed the history of the world. In February 1861 the president of the Wilmington and Baltimore railroad hired Pinkerton to investigate rumors of threats against the railroad. Looking into it, Pinkerton soon found evidence of something much more dangerous—a plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln before his inauguration. Pinkerton assigned Kate Warne to the case. Taking the persona of “Mrs. Cherry,” a Southern woman visiting Baltimore, she managed to infiltrate the secessionist movement there and learn the specific details of the scheme—a plan to ■■■■ the president-elect as he passed through Baltimore on the way to Washington.

Pinkerton relayed the threat to Lincoln and urged him to travel to Washington from a different direction. But Lincoln was unwilling to cancel the speaking engagements he had agreed to along the way, so Pinkerton resorted to a Plan B. For the trip through Baltimore Lincoln was secretly transferred to a different train and disguised as an invalid. Posing as his caregiver was Kate Warne. When she afterwards described her sleepless night with the President, Pinkerton was inspired to adopt the motto that became famously associated with his agency: “We never sleep.” The details Kate Warne had uncovered had enabled the “Baltimore Plot” to be thwarted.

During the Civil War, Warne and the female detectives under her supervision conducted numerous risky espionage missions, with Warne’s charm and her skill at impersonating a Confederate sympathizer giving her access to valuable intelligence. After the war she continued to handle dangerous undercover assignments on high-profile cases, while at the same time overseeing the agency’s growing staff of female detectives.

Kate Warne, America’s first female detective, died of pneumonia at age 34, on January 28, 1868, one hundred fifty-five years ago today. “She never let me down,” Pinkerton said of one of his most trusted and valuable agents. She was buried in the Pinkerton family plot in Chicago.

4 Likes

Ancient History HH

·

Sakya Monastery. The Library Was Discovered In Tibet Behind A Huge Wall (60 Meters Long And 10 Meters High). It Contains 84,000 Secret Manuscripts,which Include The History Of Mankind Over 1000 Years Old.

4 Likes