How to deal with mod removal requests in the future?

While these two from now on may be connected in some cases, I think it’s not okay not to allow a Mod to withdraw unless they have a “good reason”. Who defines this good reason? The CM?

If I were to tell a CM I can’t imagine continuing to translate this series because I thought the series would be good (I applied before the series aired), and now the series makes me so angry/depressed/induces me to vomit, how will the average CM accept that?

Does a CM have the right to know I have health issues?

Do I have to explain to the CM that I have a major enduring conflict with one of the other team members (not necessarily the member of my language team) which has peaked on this project?

Does that CM want to risk alienating me entirely from working on Viki?

Point is, not everybody who requests removal from the team is a hoarder. And we can’t be certain that such hoarding-withdrawing-hoarding behaviour will indeed be so ubiquitous and such a problem.

But I, as a volunteer, have the right to say I’m out, no questions asked.

4 Likes

I had myself removed from some very old kdrama (Rooftop Prince, I Miss You, Spy, When a man loves, Facetale) and if someone thinks I’m an abuser now, fine. But I didn’t see myself completing those on my own in Dutch. The CM’s there where not active anymore either. Was thinking of taking over the CM position for some but I decided not to do so.

Al those where segging projects of mine too

4 Likes

Do anyone know whether another mod can remove a mod from another language because I have a movie that is with no video for quite some time and the cm doesn’t answer. Opening another ticket for me in support is futile. As I mentioned in another thread I have tickets open for more than a month and have heard people have ones for more than that so I don’t have hope they will actually replace and fix the problems anytime soon. I think its about time to give up viki if the bugs don’t be fixed and if the support doesn’t answer for the following months
I am thinking of completing all my current projects and then just stop. I will just work in the backstage mentoring my team if they still want me to. I believe a lot of people will leave as what happened a couple of years back with the robotic translation matter we faced. I am very disappointed for the deletion of a lot of my dramas without prior warning as well because I didn’t get to download the subs for some of them and they don’t appear anywhere else outside as well. Feeling frustrated…

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s possible. If you look at Manage Channel function as a mod, any language, you can’t see all mods in the team. You can see the list of seggers, subbers and editors only. As far as I know, only the CM (and Viki) can see the list of mods, and can make addition or deletion as required.

Summary

I believe (and was told) Viki keeps subtitle files somewhere. After all, these are their revenue streams too. Though not a huge stream. However, I don’t know if Viki keeps all subtitle files for all languages and all channels, nor the duration of storage. I don’t see any harm in reaching out to Viki and asking them, however long it may take for a reply.

Summary

Unfortunately, I tend to agree. As can be seen though, the engineers are hard at work trying to fix this and that. It’s just that “pothole” A may be fixed, but it leads to “pothole” B and C and so forth. I earnestly hope the platform will be stabilized soon. I certainly don’t wish to see it end up like that infamous DF.

5 Likes

But that’s not really fair. I had to have myself removed from two projects because they weren’t available in my country anymore suddenly. So why should I have a penalty, when it isn’t even my fault that I couldn’t complete the subs?

5 Likes

Viki does keep all the sub files and one could ask them. But if you’ve translated that episode with another person, they can’t send them to you because the whole sub file is not entirely yours 🥲

3 Likes

But what happened with projects where we are moderators, channel exist but we cannot do it because Viki doesn’t get the license but still there is created a channel?

1 Like

In essence, I think that no project can be considered as the work of any singular contributor’s effort even if only one person does the translation per video. Why? Simply because the process starts from recruiting to segmenting to translating to editing to onward (OL) translation where recruiting, translating and editing will also take place. The resulting sub file is a culmination of the entire process, the entire respective team’s effort, not just translation alone, let alone English or OL. It’s teamwork where every role counts. No more. No less.

2 Likes

I have some of those. I plan to send a message to Viki about removing myself from the team, considering it’s their fault (or the license’s fault) I can’t continue. I don’t see any other option.

You make a good point, but I make a distinction between “withdraw = not work anymore” and “be taken off the team list”.
One can stay on the team list, because they have made some contributions, not work anymore, and a co-mod may be named for completing the job. And both names can be mentioned on the cover page. Whatever the reason for withdrawing, this does not invalidate the work already done. Even if the new mod chooses to over-write most of the previous subtitles because they suck.

2 Likes

Ah, I see… Yes, absolutely. If you have worked on the project, couldn’t continue and the project is now finished by someone else, why would anyone remove you from it?

I applied to be a co-mod on a few projects where the first Mod stopped with the project years ago (thus, I was sure they will not come back to it). Both of us are Mods for Croatian on those projects. Because they made significant and valuable contributions. That shouldn’t bother anyone.

3 Likes