How to make subtitles

Maybe there should be a simple Subtitles/Segments button next to a person’s profile which only a QC of the same language can click “Like”.

1 Like

hi , thank you for your helpful topic and tips :smile: , i try to do as you said , really it hard to make proper subtitles and make it understandable in your language even me i found some words or subs do not make any sense , :disappointed_relieved: so all ican do is try and more try , i try learning THAI , SPANISH , CHINESE ,
TO BE MORE HELPFUL IT HARD TO LEARN AND SUB ,I FACE HARD TIME TO ADJUST MY :sleepy: SUB BUT LET ME SAY THAT WHO SUB FROM THEIR LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH THEN MY TURN COME TO TRANSLATE TO MY LANGUAGE , IT IS LONG WAY FOR SUB PROCESS ,WE ARE HUMAN AND MAKE MISTAKE ALL THE TIME , TRY TO KNOW THE BASIC OF MY PROJECT LANGUAGE AT LEAST TO BE FIT AND IN MOOD OF SUB IT :sunglasses:, IF YOU HAVE ANY TIPS TO IMPROVE THE WAY OF MY SUB , PLEASE SHARE IT WITH ME :heart_eyes:THANK YOU

I’m not sure if that would work. You become a QC by reaching a certain number of subtitles and there’s no quality check on that. Being a QC doesn’t necessarily mean that someone is actually a good translator. We should report inadequate translators, but it’s impossible to find all of them. Besides, some people don’t like to report them at all (they feel embarrassed).

The QC might have translated a show that doesn’t have many followers, and maybe no one complained about it (I’ve seen people saying things like “It’s better to have low quality subtitles than a drama without them”). Your idea sounds good at first, but when I start thinking about the details… I don’t know. It might work, but I wonder if it would be accurate enough.

3 Likes

That is not entirely true. Along side the number of subtitles, more and more Viki requires you to be nominated by another QC.

Amen to that! Dislike button as well? :smile:

Yeah… No, it wouldn’t, you’re right. However, simplicity might be the key here.

1 Like

They say they take that into account. It doesn’t mean you can’t get the QC status if no one nominates you.

I just remembered that a friend once suggested that the language moderator should evaluate the respective team. That sounds good to me, but there’s still a long road to walk. We know that some moderators aren’t as good, too (like those who leave their projects without any word). I like her suggestion, as I said, but I believe we need a system a little bit more complex than that. Maybe the subbers could evaluate their moderator, too?

2 Likes

Well, what I imagine happens (or should happen) on a regular basis is that a new subber asks a moderator to sub on a project. That moderator then checks the subs and when time comes, nominates this new subber for QC status.

These were my other suggestions. You probably didn’t see it.

Yes, I’ve seen your previous suggestions. However, I don’t think it’s something easy to do. We must think of many variables before actually implementing a quality check system. I agree with you that we need to improve our subtitles, and your initiative is great. I believe that by discussing that subject we will be able to come up with something really effective. ^^
I don’t like the One Liners because that tool doesn’t display any context, so I don’t think that merely saying that feedback from our Community is needed will solve everything. Feedback is good, but without any context and just random sentences? That’s just an example.

1 Like

Yay! Love the fact that I could discuss this with someone :slight_smile:

I think the major issue we have with one-liners is the fact that you can only see literally that one line. As you say - no context.

Let’s say I’m a channel manager and I need to check if a specific person I never worked with is good at subbing. I give that person one segment of an episode to translate. Next, I go into a (fictional) database of “old” moderators for that specific language. I ask them if they can go into that segment, for which I provided a link, and check the subs (entire segment not necessary). In this way the person checking the subs has a full insight into the context of the subs.

In theory you could do this today, because you can reach moderators of any language by going to the Community wall. But it would be nice if this could become a general practice on Viki and not a freak incident.

The like/dislike button I mentioned I considered only as a tool of keeping track of this process. Perhaps even an “Approved by SomeoneSomeone” record.

1 Like

actually, i feel oke with one-liner…
i think they just want to show people how fun subtitling is
it’s just that the one who rate the translations should be the team on the channel…
i imagine that when someone use one-liner, the translation that person wrote automatically goes to subtitle edit

rather than “like/dislike” button, i more prefer “point-collecting”… it could be given in multi-time (to appreciate someone’s work, maybe) and also it could be given by anyone even the viewers

in some site… if i want to be their “QC”, i have to make translations for a series alone. and my work need to face their “QCs” to be approved as their “QC”

the other thing,
people make bad translations not alway because they bad
sometime, some people just need some complete guideline to improve their translations quality

1 Like

I’m really enjoying this discussion you all have been having. I’m not a Subber yet, I’ve been hesitating, lacking Confidence, but that seems to be diminishing thanks to all of you. I REALLY appreciate the Passion, Devotion, Loyalty and Dedication you have toward the work you all do & toward the viewers. One would think you are highly paid employees. Now when I watch a Flick on Viki I’ll be keeping what you all said to heart. I only wish that Founders Razmig Hovaghimian, Changseong Ho, Jiwon Moon & CEO Tammy H. Nam could see how you feel. Keep up the good work, you’re seting a good example like myself as a new Subber

1 Like

Can someone explain the process of nominating a new subber for QC, I read the talk only about it, but nowhere do I see a link or steps explained, is it perhaps the same QC application form just filling out the subbers info, it is strange
Thanks for feedback.

There is the page of explications. I can’t say more because I was in the old systeme, so I passed directly QC.

https://www.viki.com/subtitling_community/contributor_benefits#qc

1 Like

You send an email as a written request to qc@viki.com, explaining who you want to nominate, how much he/she has contributed and so on. Make sure you mention the persons profile name.

1 Like

I think it would be informative to have a list of resources for subtitling in one language to another ^^ for Korean-English Ajumma2 and her helpers compile terms across multiple dramas that I personally look to before all else.

Thanks for the link that I know already, it provides only the link to apply for QC nothing else how to nominate. Further in comments here bozoli has mentioned an email that I was looking for, funny, never I have seen it anywhere. I think the mention of nominating a new QC should at least contain the steps and/or the email address, just like they provide the form link.
Thanks for your reply.
Simi

Thank you a ton, finally an answer!!! What to write is clear to me but where to wasn’t. This should be with the same info as the QC application link when they mention the CM and/or Mod nomination.
Best, Simi

1 Like

I am not sure which way is best to nominate a user, but you could alternatively submit a request to the Help Center:
http://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Here are the options to select to get the correct form:

2 Likes

I guess many roads lead to Rome, I wished Viki would make it in their QC application much clearer, perhaps I need to write to Viki about it. Thanks for your input!!

Luckily, there are some very good Spanish editors on Viki. Not enough for all dramas, unfortunately, but at least for some. As you mention, google and bing translators are a problem but we also see a lot of bad grammar and just little understanding of the English language, which many tend to translate literally. That does bother me. Literal translations make no sense either. Hopefully, we’ll see more high quality Spanish subs in the future.

3 Likes