How viki works for newcomers

Milie’s art work is famous Everyone uses it these days on their channels :))

1 Like

I must admit I love to play with photoshop as well! LOL.

You did this yourself or was it Milie?

OH I SEE! no wonder i thought it was Milie’s work at first. But i find that when the diagram has more cute pictures on it, people are MORE likely to look at it. Try and have more pictures on yours .

The portuguese version that I posted was made by me (inspirited by millie’s design) :smiley:

We should try using a picture with a k-star topless with a six pack, then! LOL

LMAO!!! VERY GOOD IDEA…ALL the girls would PAY ATTENTION :D…try and make one, (the star does not have to be shirtless; its up to you to do that)

If you can make one can you post it here. It should be fun to laugh about it :slight_smile:

You just wait, I’ll do one just for my naughty partners in crime lollll

2 Likes

I was kidding about the topless thing x)
But let’s see what we can do! It would be nice to use somebody famous to get people’s attention. Girls would definitely look…

1 Like

Millie’s chart is certainly very helpful (and yes Millie you are a celebrity here) but we need a central place for info that we can easily point people to. A place where we could add things to it when we come across them. A link on every page like the one-liners would be great. We could then stop trying to help people and point them to a place where they can help themselves. I think the comments left here already show there is a clear need.

Viki, please get involved with this. So many of the people below are still so kind and helpful to everyone but eventually they might end up mean and without patience, like me!

While I’m at it, managers need access to a delete function on the comments.

2 Likes

@Luzevedo LMAO…will viki approve??? HAHAHAH ;D

@preena0003: I don’t know about viki, but the dirty side of my mind definitely approves ;D But I was kidding about that, anyway. LOL (but girls would look, I’m sure about that).

1 Like

@Mariko I have to say the new VIKI LIVE is AWESOME!!! It is fun seeing what everyone is watching around the globe :smiley:

1 Like

Hahahahhaa I really didn’t know my hyperactive fingers could lead me to celebrity one day hahahaha
That’s so funny :slight_smile:

Yay please do…my EYES are hungry :))

BAD BAD BAD girl Chizzy! ;D

Here is what I propose to help people help themselves, instead of us having to do it over and over again.

Please reply with any suggestions that you feel would be helpful. I’m sure there is much I have missed. This is really needed to help people get familiar with Viki. Right now I feel like Viki is a real organizational mess, at least from the user’s point of view. This is evidenced by the replies we get when we explain something … geee, I didn’t know…

Viki staff??? Please review this and see how you can help us by making this happen!

Establish a HELP link at top of every page between “Community” and “Search”
Link takes you to Help Center (http://viki.zendesk.com/home)
Modify top of this opening help center page with a big section and link called “What is Viki and how does it work”.
-Explain:
• Where Viki came from and how it’s organized
• License negotiation
• License coverage and why everyone can’t always see the video
• The difference between licensed shows (video uploaded by Viki ) and fan channels where videos are “linked to” by volunteers when permitted.
• Older shows that available and fact that licenses don’t cover everywhere
• On-air shows
• Explain or refer to section on creating a channel
• That for a licensed on-air channel to operate that it takes a group of volunteers to get the channel operating. Viki uploads video after it airs in native country, volunteers have to create the “segments” (blocks of time) where the translations are placed, and the translators must go through and insert the translations. Both segmenting and translating takes numerous hours of effort on the part of the volunteers.
• To segment on a show requires permission from the channel manager who has to enable them on the channel. People who wish to translate should also contact the channel manager first.
• That after an episode is translated to En it is reviewed by editors. Once the editors have made any necessary adjustments the episode is released for translation to other languages.
• Translations happen when they happen, please don’t ask. Being rude doesn’t exactly make any of the volunteers want to hurry.
• After an episode is reviewed by the editors, if you find what you feel is an error, please pm the editor or the channel manager with your suggestion. Al translations are “locked” after review and a process is required to correct mistakes.
• Explain that there is a “main comments” section on the channel homepage and one on each episode. This is a place to talk about the show, not a place to complain about something not working. For that, contact the help desk. The people that see the comments are typically not those that work for Viki and can help you.
• That the channel homepage typically has lots of information regarding a show on the community wall. Things typically posted there include the number of episodes, episodes that have been released for other languages, game activity, characters, staff info, airing dates, areas of world where licensed and much more. If someone has a question about a show they should first check there, then the help desk.

If a link to this info (all on the same page) is made available at the top of every page on Viki, then when we get the questions, and no doubt we will still get them, rather than wasting untold hours every year re-explaining for the umpteenth time, we can simply say “please click on the help link at the top of the page and read about how Viki works”.

I thint the help center can be at a better place. Some of the suggestions you wrote already exist, but they are not really easy to find out. Maybe the location of the tools can be easier to find, so people can find it easily.
And thanks Lacruiser for this post!!

2 Likes

@lacruiser: I think it’s a good idea to have a single link with all the info available. A place that we can refer to instead of answering the same questions over and over again (and as milie said, we already have something similar, but not so visible). But I still think some people won’t read it. Maybe if viki makes it more visible, as you suggested. That might work.

Why do I think some people won’t bother to look? The first thing we see when we access a channel’s page is the community wall. The community wall has a lot of info about the drama, but people ask anyways. And sometimes it’s the same person asking the same question, despite the previous answers he/she received from other users already.

I think it’s worth a shot and viki should try (to improve the visibility and all), but I’m not so sure that it’ll really solve the matter as we wish. I hope it does ^^

In most place when you click on something to go to a show the link takes you to the most recent episode. They used to always take you to the first episode. I have often complained that the links should always take people to the channel homepage and then people can go where they want from there.

1 Like