I am in big trouble - I don't know what to watch

I’ve seen about 50 K-dramas now. The one that towers above all others for me is My Mister, which won a number of awards in 2018. The female lead is one of the most interesting characters I’ve seen in any film genre or language. She is so smart, but so emotionally broken. The relationship between the male and female leads is also fascinating. They aren’t lovers, but are almost soul mates, as they are always protecting each other. I saw My Mister it over two years ago, and still think about it quite often.

Also, if you watch it, , do it on Viki, not Netflix. The translation is better on Viki.

3 Likes

You may watch “My Mister” again here, then, to check whether what you said is true for this drama as well. It was done in December 2019. I am confident that our team did quite a decent job, we put all our heart in it.

2 Likes

I guess where you are located the dramas I mentioned are restricted. sorry about that then

1 Like

I have NTFX so I’m curious now about the subtitles in regards to MY MISTER so I’m checking them out of curiosity since at the beginning I complained so much about the subs on ntfx, and right now in my opinion they did improved a lot. They even have the dubbed option in dramas/movies, and Germany turns out has the most films/dramas in dubbed motion. But they also have currently 5 korean dramas dubbed in English on NtfX that I didn’t continue using bc the voice don’t match them, so I rather use the subtitle or CC caption option.

I’ve seen the Viki translation. You did a great job. Just one example: a very important scene (after the grandma is taken to see the moon) is where Dong Hoon tells Ji An she is a “good person”. Netflix translated that as him saying “you are nice”, a very different and much more casual statement from Dong Hoon. Ji An would play the recording of those words over and over again as they meant so much to her, so it was very important to get the translation right. Thank you Viki, for doing so.

2 Likes

how is PHS in it? Is his character different from the one in Strong Woman??

1 Like

I liked his character in suits, would love to see more of him!

1 Like

I add my recommendation for “The Miracle We Met” and “My Unfamiliar Family”.

2 Likes

My Unfamiliar Family - finally got to see it and liked it a lot, yes, that’s a drama made for me, I don’t need those perfect IQ guys with harsh behavior, I am totally okay with guys who can actually two or three sentences in a row that make sense. For some it might be too close to reality, as there is almost zero fluff in there, but for me it is refreshingly honest writing and acting. Thank you for recommending it.

2 Likes

The Miracle We Met - yes, I am with you on that but may I say - spoiler ahead - that I really didn’t dig the love between Hye Jin and the after accident Hyun Cheul - apart from that I liked it, it didn’t make it into my favorites but it’s solid. I was glad I could watch Ra Mi Ran again, I am happy for her that after A Witch’s Romance she got bigger and bigger roles.

1 Like

I will later check on if I let any suggestion out, that I probably could watch …

My days are packed and at the end I try to watch drama or in between, sometimes works and sometimes it doesn’t. With some dramas I can’t recall what I watched, maybe that my mind was filled with other thoughts, or I was just too tired while watching.

Anyway what I watched in the past weeks/months.

It is a 12 episode drama that doesn’t feel short probably by the slow pace it delivers. I liked the story they were telling, I couldn’t “buy” the technical device they were using, but I accepted it for the sake of the story, romance isn’t that “physical” I guess because of the known circumstances all our lives are facing this year.

I admit that I was playing “Spider”, while watching, because I know the story all too well. But still, I was curious what the Japanese version would be like. It is a slim cut version I would say, most of the things you will find annoying in other versions - here the scissors took action - but it took out as well character development. So either you will like it, or if you are the old style router, you will hate it for the shell of left-over-story. As I was playing cards and only took interest in certain scenes, I could tolerate it. It shows that the budget was tighter on this one, so no cruise ship, but a hotel and many characters and even plot lines were nowhere to be found.

How long did it take for me to pick up this one - as we say in Germany “half an eternity”. Okay I was finally taking it up after hearing, I mean officially hearing that the leads are together in real life. I liked it, at some points it was a bit rough around the edges, but the sweet moments were comforting. It’s long … At least my memory tells me it was long.

As a long time drama viewer, I stayed away from this one for a pretty long time and indeed it has some fluff and is nice all around. It’s not a flat story but nothing new on the drama front, maybe a bit of a fresh make-up for the new viewer generation. It’s okay, if you like “soap”!

I liked this one! I have not seen a lot of Park Hae Jin, due to no licenses, or the genre just wouldn’t be it for me at the moment. However this drama isn’t an easy watch it has a dramatic story and even though you link some things together you won’t get all the information of what is going on, and I am thankful for that point. You can guess who is a bad guy or at least has his/her hands covert with dirt, but it will take you a good while to get the facts.

Well, well wanted to like it, but wasn’t much as smooth as I hoped it to be, many actors I like but not the best storyline, or let’s say I forgot too much of it.

Re-watched it for the umpteen time. Somehow I don’t get tired of this. This is the drama I learned that the name Jang Mi is equal to the name Rose. The name a little outdated as the female character says, reminds me a little about My Name is Kim Sam Soon, if you liked that one you might want to try it.

It’s like watching a puppy falling in love with his owner. It’s sweet, if there wouldn’t be the baddies and the family elder who always knows what is best for every single person in the family, you guess right … It leads to frustration and misery, but puppy love will last for at least a lifetime.

Six years ago this drama was broadcasted, and I watched it halfway through, who would guess that I finally would go back to it and complete it. Maybe I thought it was kind of exhausting, however it is a well written story, even the or let’s say some characters you can only hope you never meet in real life. A bunch of corrupt people all under the name of art and then you have this raw diamond thrown in the mix and you will see how the fake ones get taken care of one by one. I am not going to say anything about the love story try it yourself.

If you like love stories that have many hardships to overcome, this might be your cup of tea. I have no recollection about much of the story …
Some events still surface but over all … I would need to watch some episodes again, sorry about that, maybe the storyline was not that inventive or the story was overloaded with incidents, so the story doesn’t stay in my mind, I remember a nice scene at the Ferris wheel …

Short, loud a little depth and I don’t like to mention it, it was pretty much forgettable. Don’t throw things …

I had so many suggestions for this one and it is nice to look at, like pictures of a prior vacation, since many of us did not travel this year … But to my dismay it didn’t touch my heart, it was diverting. I know many who really, really enjoyed it, I don’t think it will ever make it into my favorites, but you are not wasting your time with it, if you like a little romance here and there.

For Lakorn-lovers on cold turkey … This might help fix your Lakorn-less time. The guy hates/loves her, mistreats her for all the wrong reasons … You can guess, some things you might imagine might not happen as it actually is no drama from Thailand, however expect him to be harsh on her.

This is in one word - nice!

It’s a hard fate to be stuck between 2 guys, but it could be worse, still you might watch it, you might not … Whatever you chose it’s no big deal.

Really liked it, eventhough I might be known by now as a fantasy critical, but still enjoyable and it doesn’t try too hard with the fantasy element.

(Coming later, will finish this up over the week … Took me quite some time longer, sorry!)

If you like an arrogant bossy ML turning into … You know the outline of the character … Try it - it was an okay watch for me.

I don’t know why, but once in a while I want to watch a Jerry Yan drama, there aren’t too many available in my place of the world, but I kind of liked, maybe I watched too much law, medical, dry business stuff, so fashion was a nice change for me and Jerry Yan might not be the greatest actor out there, but at least he delivers well.

This drama is short in many ways, 10 episodes for a Japanese drama are normal, skinship at an early point in the story aren’t that surprising either, the characters therefor sometimes fall short too and the developement them too. So all in all you might need to like manga or manhwa, or, or, or … I wasn’t to impressed by it, so as long as you got something else on your list, I would say save it for another day …

It’s okay, I made it through it has its good times and some mediocre, if you like this kind of rom-com, you might just go with the flow at least I made it through until the end. If you like to collect dramas with the not so cold hearted ML this might be your cup of tea.

What I liked 18 episodes, two alphas (FL and ML) at eye level, it wasn’t tiring for me and yes on a rainy day I might even find myself re-watching …

No, season 1 in here, and I haven’t watched it, so I can’t tell, if it is related to the first season in any way.

Yet another rich man and no not the poor girl around the corner an acctress, the story has some pace so at least one should not get bored, anyway, after some weeks don’t recall too much of the storyline, so you try and tell me what you think …

Re-watched, 8 years ago I watched and I forgot a lot, but not all.
I did like it even it was a “tiny bit” unrealistic, ha ha, okay we all know most dramas are fiction anyway. It really takes on all the points of the marriage vow in good days, bad days, in sickness and health, so be prepared.

It’s okay, I wrote this before, it’s an often used formular to make the rich guy fall for the poor girl, but well there are by far worse dramas out there. One to watch, if you like that the girl will have some Jekyll/Hyde person not as evil as you might think, only that she steps forward with her hidden side and gets the ML head spinning.

Another boss, another okay watch … But I really forgot about it, I would need to look it up again … Let’s say it’s because of my bad memory these days.

2 Likes

so which was your personal favourite of the lot?
also I just love the fact that such long lists in such a short time don’t surprise me anymore, we’re all dramaholics here😂

1 Like

Well, let’s say which one lasted in my mind for longer, which tells me as a viewer the plot got me - that would be Forest.

2 Likes

Lost Romance was good.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen that one but I wanna give it a try too!:slight_smile: Been watching all of the shows I have added to my binge collection lol i got no life. :joy::sweat_smile:

gosh another one don’t know what to watch?

I went back to the older dramas and just looked at I would like to watch, aliens? Lord fox, love from the stars, ands more , AI’s theres a bunch and the newer ones,

what about mermaids? a few of them, witches a whole bunch of them, 9 tailed foxes, theres a few,

and if you are into zombies, I’m not, but that zombie detective is neat, and train to Busan, from Viki, Netflix, Prime amazon, even asian crush, theres gotta be something I would love to watch
I do have a 2020 binge collection here on Viki, Netflix I havent counted, and I mean our Korean & Chinese dramas! and haven’t covered the Chinese dramas! a bunch to watch, from historical, fantasy, to today!
and still nothing about Atlantis or Lemuria!

so I make do with these fantacies, love the costumes, love how they “fly” twist & twirl in the air, I know pulleys and ropes, but still neat! what about that new one? wolf, wonder of its a remake? but on first episode,

so back to healer, heal me kill me, and so on, you can watch them but so many times!!

so again what to watch??
the gamers , the ice skaters, hocky players and all, maybe thats what i need to watch.

2 Likes

yeah, I really enjoyed Lost Romance…I think almost every kdrama rom-com veteran will enjoy the plot and the way they tease drama stereotypes and cliches. I love the way the real guy is shown to be better than the fictional cliche overbearing CEO. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Recently, I’ve gotten interested in heist/ con-man dramas after watching the Hindi movie ‘Special 26’…got a bunch of Soompi reccs from this article!
Has anyone watched any of those? Currently The Swindlers, The Player and Squad 38 are on my list :grin: Hope they’ll be good!

Ah, I think you will like The Thieves, then. It’s a movie, but really good, with top actors, including a young Kim Soo Hyun.
And also My Fellow Citizens, where a con man (played by Choi Siwon) who accidentally married a policewoman, enters politics at the bequest of a mafia boss lady.

1 Like

oh my, it’s both Jun Ji Hyun and Kim Soo Hyun, the couple from My Love From The Star!! Are they together in this one too?
The second drama also looks interesting with a convoluted plot :star_struck: