If you have applied to Channel Manager please read this topic

I think it’s linked to empathy in good and bad situations or feelings.

Wow finally a norwegian moderator, i talked to edvarda (the norwegian moderator) and she was so sweet and nice.

2 Likes

That’s EXACTLY what happened with “Bossam - Steal the fate”. Which was a high-profile historical drama as well. Only it was two and a half days. I got it on Thursday night (just as I went to have a peek at my inbox before closing the computer and got ready for bed), and the drama started airing on Saturday. Needless to say, the night from Thursday to Friday I didn’t sleep all night, sending messages, checking messages and profiles, making Team Notes, character list, basic cover page etc.

5 Likes

I feel like lately, many CMs are chosen very late. Either the drama starts in a few days, or sometimes it even already started airing before a CM is chosen!

6 Likes

Well, I understand that they may not expect a Chinese Drama to air etc., but there are dramas that “idled” for a long time and still only got a CM after they started releasing the episodes while the drama already aired on another platform anyway. What’s the point of this?

While I know the rules in regard to the amount of projects and understand it might not be as fair if people don’t get the chance to do something. I can understand as well that people who don’t know a certain language and don’t have access to e.g., spreadsheets of someone will ever be able to judge if someone is good or not. Therefore, Viki may have developed a system that relies on quantity. In reality, it’s just an assumption. Personally, I think it’s most important to treat projects equally and work on all of them if you accepted them. I would never accept a project I don’t intend to work on.
Furthermore, I think it’s important to prepare projects properly for audience and subtitlers. Therefore, I sometimes spend an hour or more to release one episode for translation. It’s a lot of work to research e.g., terms for types of lotus or find something that suits terms such as “Judicial Procedure Office” in German. So some people bother a lot, while others don’t. However, only their own language community will ever notice the stuff, aside of the above-mentioned quantity. Just like not every project is the same. If you accepted a 55-episodes projects with a release once every 2-3 weeks, there’s not much to do, but you’ll be still judged by the amount of projects. Another point would be the amount of moderators.

However, last year’s discussion shows that there are different opinions in the first place. Lately, I’ve been asked to do translation edit for example, but I let them know that I’m not as confident since the level isn’t close to a Native level (Japanese). But there’s people who just do it with less of a background and in another thread they said something like “lots of them just learn a language, so they can improve like this/ the edit will fix subs / it’s okay if they only know a little bit”. Maybe I hesitate too much. :thinking:

Lately, we’ve discovered someone again who translated to and from languages he/she didn’t know at all, but they told the CM that they’re Native speakers. I’m aware it’s hard to determine that, but I guess I would be suspicious if someone translates into 5 completely different languages. That might not always be justified, but I guess it’s something to watch out for.

4 Likes

Late organisation around the licence might have something to do with this. Although it’s no excuse. Because then the problem breaks (gets resolved) on the backs of the CM and the English language team members.

1 Like

I wonder if is the same person that ruined the subtitles in a [program/show] I was CM years back…:thinking:

Years back, this person she/he always bragged that knew 5 different languages, and was proficient in all of them, and bc I saw her working in other dramas; I assumed she was legit.

When she/he? finished all her/his subtitles in the show/drama in question, the viewers in the language she/he had subbed, started complaining in the comment section, and started accusing me of doing the bad subtitles/translations. I asked another person that knew the language in question to just to check if the complains were factual/real, and indeed it turns out they were really bad subs.

As a CM, I was able to delete all the terrible work she had done, and I also reported him/her (we had a good help center system back then) and I didn’t see her around for a long while. BUT…still, I see her working here now in many dramas (with the same name and ‘‘avatar’’) so I’m guessing that with the little bit she knew and working in so many dramas, she finally learned the language and became proficient enough to be added on teams after teams. Very popular indeed.

I think if you are not confident enough in the language, as long as you don’t work in on-air dramas it won’t hurt you and it will only help you to advance and learn better the language (Japanese?) you know. I see no harm in doing that. Like you, I see ppl here that don’t have a good level of English proficiency, and right at this moment, they are working in so many dramas (I swear I’m not lying) as an EDITOR no less! in many, many dramas.

Hope you do give yourself the chance and go right ahead, if you have the time and really want to take advantage of this new way of learning/improving what you already know a bit; go for it! I can assure you we have here ppl working as editors that do all their work with Goggle translate and get away with it.

2 Likes

True… so true

So true. Something that shoukd not be judged.
Ich kriege da jedes Mal “Aggressionen”, wenn es solange dauert und man sich nirgends anders bewerben kann.

1 Like

Well, the one I’m referring to already showed up in a huge discussion some weeks/months ago, but the party keeps on setting up new accounts. I just checked their Japanese and figured it was off, so the CM verified it with a Native Speaker, they were reported and deleted. However, in between, they kept on being added to projects and when I talked to my language community they told me that they rejected that person already for some project. Anyway, he or she was in one team for completely different languages. I guess, I would’ve questioned that.

Well, in fact most Dorama are rather “simple”, so when I watch them without subtitles I understand the content and some details. But some stuff I would have to check or write down. At university, we mostly practiced writing and grammar. Listening isn’t difficult in general, but it’s a lot to process in a short time. So even I might be too hesitant, I sometimes feel that people should be more hesitant about editing. When they usually have to edit 80% of my subs because it wasn’t good, I wouldn’t consider becoming an editor.

Just like in English, I’d feel that I lack knowledge of idioms and sometime alternative terms to express something better and I suppose that recommended for the final outcome. :thinking:

Das eine läuft seit März und ist jetzt gut bei der Hälfte durch. Aber andere Sachen sind noch ärmer dran nach 6 Monaten+.

1 Like

I am also suspicious when someone “speaks” so many languages. There are people who can do so, but I think it’s natural to be skeptical.

P.S. i dont know to quote twice within one post.

Auch schlimm, wenn alles gesubbt ist, aber dann bei der TE/ GE hängt und Nicht zur CE kommt

Mark the sentence and press quote :wink:

Well, I can imagine there might be people who learned many languages or have parents from different countries or they live at a place where there are different main languages. But if someone states that they speak Japanese, Chinese, Catalan, Portuguese, Indonesian and Korean on a native level/ level to translate from English into one of those languages… well, I started investigating and they were deleted. For that reason I recommend being a bit suspicious though.

Ich glaube, einige übernehmen sich da etwas… ich meine, ich verstehe das Dilemma, dass es zu wenige gibt, aber das ist vermutlich auch nur ein Teil der Wahrheit.

1 Like

Ich glaube die meisten würden sich das nicht eingestehen und sich munter drauf los bewerben für alle Dramen, die ihm/ ihr gefallen.

Gerade beim Edit wird ja in der Regel nicht geschaut wvl die nebenher machen und daher würde ich mir da echt überlegen, ob ich es schaffe immer alles innerhalb von ~1-2 Tagen abzuarbeiten (nach Freigabe der vorherigen Stufe). Da hat man es als OL-Mod vergleichsweise leichter und wird dennoch eher dazu angehalten sich zu mäßigen.

1 Like

Da hast du leider recht

Actually, in my opinion one shouldn’t be an Editor unless they are 100% fluent. That means the only errors one does from time to time are typos. While the real mistakes in translation happen very, very rarely.

Edit: This also means that the person who is still studying the language should not be the chief editor for the language.

3 Likes

Personally, humility is a trait I value highly. There is a Korean proverb “벼는 익을수록 고개를 숙인다” which loosely translates to “As the crop ripens, it bows its head.” The weight of knowledge should feel heavy to a humble person. This is why I get weary of someone boasting about their ability to translate. Recently, I was asked by a CM to either become the TE or recommend someone to be the TE for a Korean movie. I remembered working with a very diligent new Kor-Eng subber in one of the recent k-dramas so I asked her if she was interested. To my surprise, she politely declined and told me that she’s only been studying Korean for about 2 years and that she didn’t feel that she was ready to be a TE. I now know that not only is she competent and consistent but she is also humble as well.

9 Likes

@choitrio

If we only had more humble and honest ppl like you, the one you mentioned here, including xylune… but (in certain ‘‘languages’’ but definitely not Korean) we have some ppl. here with this greed, and totally indifferent to giving quality work in the subtitles provided by them in the dramas they work in., But that’s a broken record already. I had recently several encounters with ppl working as EDITOR and they won’t communicate in English bc they obviously can’t (it will take too long for them to do all that ‘‘Google translate’’ they would have to do), and since they have 5 or more projects they are working on, they definitely don’t have the time to prove me otherwise so they rather accuse me of not knowing Spanish, and that is why I write to ‘‘them’’ in English when all I was trying to do was to confirm if they really were proficient enough in the English language to be an Editor in so many dramas.

PS. I also decline to be Editor bc like a Spanish saying goes: pa’ hacer porqueria, pa’ eso no hago na’’ but not everyone has the commitment, pride and desire to give quality work in all they do. If I knew Korean/Chinese etc. I would definitely do it, but since I can’t be sure the original language translation (in some projects) are not 100% I rather not venture there.

3 Likes

Well, in German projects we usually have Native speakers (I think I met one person so far who has German as secondary language/studied it at university), but sometimes they do lots of minor mistakes or simply have difficulties understanding the English text. They obviously don’t use a translator, but they seem to have difficulties grasping sentences over 2-3 segments or lack the knowledge how to find good expressions (instead they often stick very close to the English translation). Therefore, I wouldn’t recommend them to edit. Just like I’m not that confident with my English tenses. I have no issues building them, but I am probably not always using them accurately. :rofl: (just edited my tense lol)

6 Likes