Is it real or a drama thing

Especially when someone has OCD! Like NOPE no used slippers for me! I’ll just wear my socks! Well unless a Cutie wore them!
hahahahaha!

4 Likes

Like me!!! hahaha

1 Like

I love this topic. The first thing that came to mind is sort of an add-on to the idea of treating every bump, bruise or cut as life-threatening, but is it actually common for people to spend days or weeks in the hospital for fairly minor things like a minor concussion or broken/sprained limbs? This happens ALL the time in dramas.

3 Likes

I can tell you what I do. I have a rattan chest of drawers for guest slippers. 2-3 very regular friends have their own, which I give to nobody else. The others yes, they are shared. I have 3 sizes for women and 3 sizes for men. Slippers can be a bit over your size too. I often wash them in the washing machine but yes, it can happen that you wear the same slippers someone wore yesterday. My visitors are not animals. If someone knows he’s been sweating, he or she keeps socks on so as not to touch the slippers with sweaty feet.
But generally we’re not paranoid about that.
Every now and then I replace them, as washing will damage them in the long run. When it’s the period for sales, I buy the cheap ones of course. That’s no big deal, they cost about 5-7 euros a pair.

8 Likes

I have had family members who wear slippers in the house! Or HOUSE SLIPPERS my grandmother called them - she even had Fuzzy Slippers. I have NEVER worn slippers or a robe! I like my hoodies and socks very much thank you! hahahaha!

2 Likes

You must live in a warm country. Marble floors with only socks are super chilly in the winter.

2 Likes

Yep - Humid - Here right now! UGH! We usually keep carpet in our rooms except high traffic areas. My socks make me perfectly happy! I wear them out! But I am barefoot a lot also. Or just flip flops!

But trust me it does get cold here! I wear thicker socks in Winter!

2 Likes

This one definitely sticks out to me as an American because here one of those hospital stays could bankrupt somebody! Insurance isn’t going to pay for you to lol around as an inpatient with a sprained ankle! :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Yep - Wrap it up and GET OUT!

2 Likes

I always get surprised though by how much food and supplies the characters are bringing to hospital patients in dramas. Like…do hospitals not feed patients? Or is the food just especially bad? Here hospital food has kind of a crummy reputation since it’s low in salt etc., but there’s a menu and some choices at least.

But in My Little Happiness they went on this whole giant shopping trip for a patient because he had no family. I can see bringing your favorite toiletries, but they didn’t know what the guy liked–does the hospital not provide this stuff?

4 Likes

I’ve been wondering if tissue are made different in Asia. So often there’s tissues on the table and people use them to wipe their mouth or clean up a spill. The tissues where I live don’t absorb water as well as napkins or paper towel

I couldn’t find any images or GIFs of a box of tissue on the table, but here’s Baekhyun just after he used a tissue to wipe his mouth and accidently left the box in view on camera, this is his reaction when reading comments. lol

3 Likes

Korean houses do not have carpeted floors, and it can get hard/cold/slippery. So wearing in-house slippers is very common, and a lot of Korean houses will have slippers available to be shared as a courtesy to their guests. Most Koreans do not sweat that much, and they don’t mind wearing shared guest slippers. But if they don’t want to use them, that’s totally fine, too, and no one will be offended.

Koreans in general do not worry too much about sharing germs, as you can see they eat from the same shared bowls of dishes/soup/stew/banchan, and double-dip their chopsticks and spoons into the share food. The same goes with drinks. It’s not uncommon for say a boss or sunbae to drink their glass of soju and pour more in that same glass and offer to their subordinates or hobae, and no one says, “eww,” you drank out of that! I guess what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger? :wink:

5 Likes

Same. I am also American, and for most of these things you wouldn’t even be admitted to the hospital - you’d just be treated in the emergency room and sent home. Even after having gallbladder surgery I was out the door after a day and a half.

2 Likes

It’s not the matter of hospital feeding the patients or not. Bringing food shows their love and care for the patient that they are visiting.

6 Likes

I don’t know about spending days or weeks in the hospital, but the hospital/medical bills are generally a lot cheaper in Korea than in America. In America, it’s in and out, and you still get exorbitant bills (yes, bills, not just one, but multiple!). In Korea, they have so many additional tests and procedures and check up and even shots (yes, shots for being fatigued, or being malnourished, etc.) that you can get at an affordable rate, that many Korean-Americans, especially elderly folks who may not have medical insurance, go to Korea to get some type of medical work done.

5 Likes

that’s adorable

2 Likes

I also have a couple of slippers for guests. Whenever someone has worn them (they haven’t been worn in the past 2 years now :laughing:), they get put separately to be washed. Everyone gets to wear a washed pair. Our slippers are different from the guest slippers, so it’s easy to distinguish them :blush:

4 Likes

No joke, I watched a series recently (can’t remember which one, though) where the accidental fall and catch by the hottie happened at least once in EVERY episode for the first several episodes of the series. It was so ridiculous. I literally asked myself how the girl had survived into adulthood without that hottie there to catch her until now.

3 Likes

When "I’ trip I look around and darn it but no Hottie - When I need an umbrella and its raining nope no Hottie and when first aid is needed unfortunately no Hottie - Why is life not a DRAMA

4 Likes

Thanks to those who chimed in on my question :blush:. As a follow up, do shoes get taken off at most restaurants as well? Or just the “traditional” ones?

3 Likes