Is it real or a drama thing

Yes, I had pneumonia once because of that, two weeks at the hospital :sweat:

1 Like

I always think this old wives tale is truely funny - you get sick from a virus not going out in the rain but my mother swore that she got sick every time she went out in the WIND!

5 Likes

when a great Chinese general responsible for defending the borders of the great Han dynasty gets a scratch from having a ceramic pot crack on his five-inch thick robes whines in pain as his little wife nervously tries to apply lotion on the wound :woman_facepalming: the things people do for love

4 Likes

I just remembered, when someone, let’s say the girl of interest, has a little “bobo” a scratch and bleeds, the young man runs to get “first aid” kit from a nearby pharmacy and applies that little cream and puts the band aid on it or even blows… If not in public in this scenario the girl will fetch the little case and take out the “necessary” first aid kit and sticks it to the guy :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

Just watching W 2 Worlds

You see it all the time!
When you think the guy is leaning over for a kiss in the car
but he actually just puts on your seatbelt.

3 Likes

In dramas when they have hot pot, you see people putting raw meat in the pot using their chopsticks, isn’t there a bacteria risk? I was always told you use separate utensils for raw meat, but it always looks like they use the same ones they eat with.

3 Likes

Some people use separate ones, some people use the same ones, but keep the chopsticks in the hotpot for a couple of seconds to get rid the bacteria. When I hotpot / K-bbq I always use two sets of chopsticks that are very different from each other, so you don’t accidentally use the wrong one :sweat_smile: .

5 Likes

In some high school dramas there’s one or more popular guys and any girl who dares to approach him is bullied by the other girls, Boys Over Flowers, Good Morning Call, it looks like it’s about to happen in Revenge Note. Does this really happen?

I hope it’s a drama thing. These are just regular high schoolers not Kpop idols. (although I think it’s equally stupid when ‘fans’ are so possessive of their idols)

3 Likes

I have a feeling this one might be real :sweat_smile:.
I knew one of the “popular guys” from my high school, because we were in the same swimming class. He was a couple of classes above me. We weren’t friends or anything, just acquaintances. But he would talk to me from time to time, or worse, he would loudly scream my name to get my attention across the school square :expressionless:.

I would get such awful looks from other girls :laughing:. Luckily, no one bullied me for it (they did talk about me), but if looks could kill… :rofl:. He eventually stopped doing that, but wow, it was embarrassing.

3 Likes

ohhhh the things that happen in middle school :joy: There is the upper class of school athletes and other “elite” students. Anyone from the “lower level” caught talking to/having a crush on the upper one(especially when it’s a girl talking to a guy) can get bullied/teased for the rest of the year. “Oh my gosh _______ has a crush on _______!!! Does she even think she has a chance?”
And it’s not like the guys are any better. Most of the popular guys had the biggest egos EVER.
Okay, I’ll admit it here because no one knows me :joy: When people asked me if I had a crush, I’d make one up and tell them about “him”. I had transferred from a different state so there was no way for them to verify it. That way, no one could make up stuff or tease me.
I guess they thought I had some sort of star-crossed thing going on since I used to go back for vacations. :joy:

Getting the attention of an OLDER student gives you popular status in your own class :joy:

Goodness. I shudder to remember those hormone-fuelled days :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to stay under the radar, no one paid much attention to me. I guess I’d be equivalent to middle class in school, not ostracized, not popular, just my own comfortable friend group.

I don’t remember any guys so popular that girls would be talked about for liking them, I do remember some kids on the opposite end though, this one poor kid a grade below me, one of the upperclassmen always told him he didn’t exist and was just a figment of his imagination. I felt bad for that kid, I tried to remember to say ‘hi’ to him, hoping it might make a tiny difference. I don’t remember the upperclassmen’s name, but I still remember the name of the kid who was bullied.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I feel like this one is a Kdrama thing or maybe culture-specific thing. I’ve talked to a lot of popular guys from the senior classes, because my classmates / circle were too afraid to talk to them and even got invited to chat with them online… One of them even became part of our friend circle. We had an odd mix of people in our group :smile:

Yes, exactly. I just remember having fun with my own circle. Some of my classes were also mixed with classes above and under me, so you got to meet a lot of different people. That was cool.

Wow, that’s disturbing. I hope that person wasn’t scarred for life.

2 Likes

awww I don’t remember any extreme bullying, but there were kids who let themselves be bullied just to stay in the popular circles.
What I do remember most vividly was a day in tenth grade when a “middle class” guy yelled at one of the most popular girls in class and told her what I think every student in class wanted to say to her. From that day on, the popular circle in our class lost their high-and-mighty status and we more or less ignored them :joy: I’m thankful for the way things were in my own class. We’d hear of lots of trouble in other classes but our class always remained pretty drama-free throughout. I had a lot of fun(mostly). I blame the bad parts of my school life on my own bad decision to keep being friends with a popular group.

Maybe it is? We used to look up to out seniors like they were gods on earth. If we got noticed by them… well, it was heaven :joy: We have the whole oppa/unni/hyung/noona honorific system.
I remember practicing basketball so extremely hard and feeling on top of the world whenever a senior chose me on their team. :sweat_smile: I once made a terrible mistake while defending our basket(I’m really tiny compared to them) and got yelled at for a full five minutes. I went home crying and swearing never to play basketball EVER again.
The next day, the same senior very nicely complimented me for a good pass and everything was unicorns and pink clouds again.

2 Likes

I loved High School - loved middle school - I was a weirdo in that right from most. Being in Band I was 1st chair flute and band president (such a geek & not a big deal) and in HS I was 1st chair coming in - in 10th grade above the Seniors - (that went over well). I lead a band of 200 something people out on the field most football games. We knew who the POPULAR gorgeous kids were. I was in the MIDDLE! Never would I have considered myself Popular… I had popular friends and unpopular friends. We had a blast - if you asked any of us if we would go back we would say YES YES YES! I can still tell you the names of the popular boys - OF COURSE… By the time I was a Senior I was number 22 as a flute/piccolo - and I no longer play.

I am watching At a Distance Spring is Green - And it reminds me how LONELY being popular can be - people use you and a lot of times you have no true friends or dates! I’m sure that still happens. The show is really good - a university show - but the relationship development is showing some real deep issues especially with mental health.

@vivi_1485 @sweetybirdtoo @feyfayer

2 Likes

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but I’m currently working on KMovie and my ears hurt because they are yelling so badly, there was a car accident and several parties are at the police station… and yell and yell…

Do Koreans yell so much like in dramas… not only yell / scream also this continuous hitting… and the young ones have to keep quiet when elders speak and at times cannot talk back and these “young ones” are like 30 to 40 years old… I would have such hard time, also the marriage thing… must be approved by parents… I just think parents (I myself) will die one day and the children must live in the future for themselves and not for us, the parents, if they make mistakes, parents cannot always rescue them forever… or prevent their mistakes… let them make mistakes… that’s life…

I can’t help it, but it seems so backwards considering our modern times…

6 Likes

hehe this still happens, at least in my own country. Again, it’s because Asian culture’s consider the family as a unit while Western culture’s are more individual-oriented.
You’re usually going to have to spend long periods of time with extended family. We celebrate most festivals and events together with the extended family, so you’re in a sense “marrying into the whole family”.

I don’t see what’s very wrong about the system… of course, parents shouldn’t abuse their authority. Maybe it’s because I’m not a high class stinkin rich chaebol, but if I rebel and say I want to marry someone my parents don’t like, they’d most probably let me do what I want. But marriage is considered a forever thing, and I think I’d want my parents consent because they’ve seen more of the world than I have.

4 Likes

I couldn’t find an example but WHY are the couples or side couples or BL couples always FALLING on each other - They fall and accidentally kiss - they fall into each others arms - they are pulled and then fall - this has happened like 400 times already in my latest drama - cracks me up! I know it is meant for tension in the scene but HOW many TIMES can ONE person FALL or get Pulled out of the WAY.

2 Likes

I just started watching Monthly Magazine House and that basically sums up the entire plot. :smile:

3 Likes

These two are accurate. Giving someone a choice bit of food, and resting it gently on their rice or their main dish is a sign of caring. I think it’s sweet, and I love it when my husband does it for me. (I do most of our cooking, so I’m always putting the choice bits on his plate in the kitchen… But at restaurants, he shares a nice bite.)

And scissors at the table is normal, and not just for bbq. I was once eating short rib soup, and there was one giant piece in my bowl with a big bone attached–a server saw me look at it with dismay and came over with a huge pair of scissors to chop it up into bite size bits. Scissors are a godsend.

Also mentioned–using your chopsticks to pluck food from communal bowls or plates. Yes–your spoon comes wrapped for safety, but then you all eat from the same bowls. Just go for it! It doesn’t need to make sense.

4 Likes

More of a question than asking if its real. *Warning: this may sound stupid but I am genuinely curious and have given a ridiculous amount of thought to this :laughing:

I understand the tradition of taking off shoes when entering a house, but Ive seen dramas where there are “guest slippers” that people who are visiting can wear. What are the logistics of this? Do many households purchase “guest slippers?” lol. If so, do all guests who come in share the guest slippers? If all guests share designated guest slippers, how does one keep it hygienic? If new ones are bought for guests, isnt that expensive to keep buying them? how does one deal with differences in shoe size too?

6 Likes