Japanese dorama recommendations?

Just finished Last Cinderella and it was good. The actors were good. So much so that I am interested in seeing others that they were in. Still, I am looking for more. It seems Viki and its competitors don’t really have as many as I thought they would.

For movies, definitely the Rurouni Kenshin Saga: Rurouni Kenshin (1), Kyoto Inferno (2) and The Legend Ends (3).
I already said it on another topic, but I’ll say it again. Sato Takeru was born to play Kenshin. Loved him! He portrayed Kenshin’s duality (shyness and ruthlessness) to a T.

For dramas, try Ouroboros, with Oguri Shun, Ikuta Toma and Ueno Juri.
Ikuta Toma and Ueno Juri are the detectives, Oguri Shun is the Yakuza boss. But the two boys have a plan of their own… Revenge drama.
Here’s the poster:

Here’s the original story:

-Hotelier -Hotaru no Hikari 1,2 -Hokaben -Hero -Tokyo Dogs -Mirai Nikki -Proposal Daisakusen 1,2,3 -Nobuta Wo Produce -Nodame Contabile 1,2 -Tokyo Wankei -Gokusen 1,2,3 -Strawberry on the short cake -Lunch no Joou -Good Luck! -Attention Please 1,2,3 -Kimi wa Petto -Boku dake no Madonna -LIFE -Water Boys -Ace no Nerae! -Attack NO.1 -Pride -Orange Days -Dragon Zakura -1L of Tears -Brother Beat -Hana Yori Dango 1,2,Final -Ai no uta -Rondo -Kurosagi -Iryu 1,2,3 -Top Caster -Fugou Keiji 1,2 -Gal Circle -Regatta -CA to oyobi -My Boss My Hero -14 yrs old mother -First Kiss -Tatta Hitotsu no Koi -Bambino! -Liar Game 1,2,Final -Hanazakari no KimitachiE -Abarenbo Mama -Himitsu no Hanazono -Yamada Taro no Monogatari -Jotei -Mop Girl -Galileo -Yukan Club -Rookies -Hataraki Man -Hachimitsu to clover -Zettai Kareshi 1,2 -Last Friends -Around 40 -Taiyou to Umi no Kyoshitsu -Gira Gira -Code Blue 1,2,3 -Gakkou Jya Oshierarenai! -Yasuko to Kenji -Koizora -Maou -Innocent Love -Celeb to Binbo Taro -Akai Ito -Oh My Girl! -Bloody Manday 1,2 -Ryusei no Kizuna -Triangle -Love Shuffle -Mei-chan’s Butler -SMILE -Kami no Shizuku -Kiina -Ghost Friends -God Hand Teru -Hancho -Mr.Brain -Futatsu no Spica -Buzzer Beat -Zettai Reido 1,2 -Sunao ni Narenakute -Nakanai to Kimeta Hi -Masugu na Otoko -Nagareboshi -Jyuui Dolittle -Taisetsu na koto wa subete ga oshiete kureta -100 scene no koi -A Million Stars Falling From The Sky -A Sleeping Forest -Aishiteru to Itte Kure -Akihabara @ Deep -Anego -Battery -Beauty or Beast -koori no sekai -Bimbo Danshi -Boku no Imouto -Boku to Kanojo no XXX -Bokura no Yuki -Boys Este -Change -Chance -Cupid no Itazura -Deep Love -Doremisora -Diplomat Kuroda Kousaku -Delicous Gakuin -Detective Conan -Dream Again -First Love -Fuma no kojiro -Gachi Baka -GOLD -GIFT -GTO -Hammer Session -HERO -Honey and Clover -Joshi Deka -Juui Dolittle -Kamisama mou sukoshi Dake -Kanojo to no tadashi asobikata -Koishite Akuma -Kurisumasu nantte daikirai -Maid Deka -Magerarenai Onna -Majo no Jouken -Massugu -Mendol Ikemen Idol -Mioka -Minami’s Girlfriend -Misaki #1 -Mou hitotsu no Sugar & Spice -My Girl -My Little Chef -Ninkyo Helper -Nodame Contabile -One Pound Gospel -Orthros no Inu -Pride -QED -Q10 -Real Clothes -Quartet -RESCUE -Room of King -ROMES -Samurai Highschool -Saru Lock -Scrap Teacher -Sekachu -Shomuni 1,2,3 -Slow Dance -Sore wa totsuzen Arashi no you ni -Stand Up! -Tadashii Ouji no Tsukuri kata -Yako No Kaidan -Taiyou to Umi no Kyoushitsu -Teppan Shoujo Akane -Kindaichi Jikenbo 1,2,3 -Unfair -Untouchable -VOICE -Around 40 -Warui Yatsura -Water Boys -Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Hengge -Yankee and Megane -Yasha -Mitsu no Aji -BOSS S1,2 -Rebound -Asuko March -Zenkai Girl -Ikemen Desu Ne/Beautiful Man [Jver.] -IS otoko demo onna demo nai sei -Ouran High School Host Club -99 Days with the star -CONTROL -Kaito Royale -Yokai Nigen Bem -Natsu no Koi wa Niji iro ni Kagayaku -Switched Girl -HUNGRY -Hatsu koi -Sprout -Love revolution -Itazura na kiss 2013 -Lady profiling -Bartender -Misaki No.1 -Quartet -JIU -Zettai Reido S2 -Strawberry Night -ERIKA -Lucky 7 -Kagi no kakatta heya -Sherlock Homes no suiri -ATARU -Legal High -Doctor at 37 -BakaRea private highschool -Answer -Papa Doll -Ghost Mama -iki mo dekinai -omoni naitemasu -Rich man Poor woman -Peice -Sugarless -Kekkon dekinai -Doctor X -Recident -Priceless -Perfect Blue -Shoumuni 2013 -Pintakona -Yamadakun and 7 majyo -star man -Jumbo -LIMT -Garo -saitousan 2

1 Like

Many have been mentioned here already, but I’d like to suggest Galileo. It’s about a female police officer teaming up with a science professor to solve crimes. The scientific solutions are unbelievably crazy! And of course there is tension between the two through all the series :smile:

1 Like

thank you for this great recommendations , you are the best :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There is a new Japanese drama Kyo wa Kaisha Yasumimasu .
Unfortunately it is not on the website viki but on that of Gooddrama with English subtitles .
I would like viki translated into French the drama that seems fine and romantic .

One of my favorites, if it hasn’t been recommended yet was “Joker Yurusarezaru Sousakan”
It was really addicting, and if you like action/thrillers, I think you’d like this one!

Joker was amazing! Sakai Masato is one of the greats. :heart_eyes:
Have you seen him in Atsu Hime, as shogun Iesada? Loved him! :sparkling_heart:
Also he played in the TV-adaptation of the manga “Ooku: Inner Chambers”, where he’s a member of the female shogun’s ooku(inner chamber).

1 Like

And Gooddrama is closed :sleepy:

I hope viki will eventually bring good japanese dramas & movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mM23stLzOA

3 Likes

Just saw that it was down? I want to know why? I mean there only a few sites other than Viki and not all of them carry older dramas.

It came back, maybe it was a virus :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Oh, that is good! I just know they carry quite a bit of variety even though my laptop has some trouble with the site, it would have been a shame if it was gone permanently.

I want to know why the 2 major drama sites do not have Hana Yori Dango? I mean this is classic. I finally decided to see this one. I have seen Boys Over Flowers but I really cannot understand why Viki or its major competition do not have this on their sites? Did Viki have it? I understand licensing and the difficulty of getting dramas but this should be on here along with Meteor Garden. I mean these are BOF’s predecessors.

1 Like

Is it possible to have too Kuroshitsuji also J-movie? Thank you a French fan.

I loved ‘Sunao ni narenakute’, I don’t know if somebody mentioned it. But prepare yourself for tears.

Or, among the more classic and beautifully silly: Hana Kimi (the one and only, the first japanese production), Atashinchi no danshi and My Boss My Hero.
I liked also Zettai Kareshi and Nodame Cantabile (the movies!! <3).

Personally I’d recommend 1 Litre of Tears the movie, more than the drama. (And for those who want to read it, I don’t know if you know, the book is actually avalable in English).

Thank you, you reminded me I still have to watch Densha Otoko and Koizora.

I really hope Viki will get more Japanese classic/older drama, I really miss some of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDaCuDeoUqA

You should try the love stories from Fukuoka series. They have like 3 stories in one episode. They aren’t connected at all either, so you can watch them like one at a time.

1 Like

I suggest The Hours of My LIfe but be prepared to have 2 boxes of kleenex next to you. Worth it. A quirky one is Shinigami-kun. One of my favorite Japanese dramas Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge(the Wallflower) it an over the top drama about 4 handsome Japanese young men who move in with a reclusive girl. They’re job is to make her into a lady. The is a dark woman who has a fascination with dark things. But has a good heart. One of the actors, Kamenashi Kazuya, is one of the Japanese actors to be watching, he keeps getting better. The last two were based on manga series.

I didn’t watch those. Thank you for reminding me.

Have you seen Bitter Blood? I really enjoyed that. It’s a police drama. A little bit of action, lots of comedy, and that wonderful nakama-element (bromance?). Haha.

I really hope Viki works toward more licenses for Japanese shows.

1 Like