Korean Crime or Thrillers

loved charmed!! and did watch Vincenzo, an awesome drama, but I do know there are a bunch of K, C, T,J dramas… thrillers is what wee are talking about, , Love me if you dare comes to mind, oh my goodness!! the ending was something else too, I know I could name a bunch
Galileo 1-4
Mr brain
I will put Healer on too
.heres some very old detective ones
charlie chan, hey Its before my time ,ok?
and I will stop there,

3 Likes

I found this one :https://www.viki.com/videos/1180687v-dark-hole-episode-1

It is a mystery, horror show. Kind of has the dark and mystic vibes of the 80s, 90s Stephen king movies. Though they could just have made the whole content into a 120 min movie it keeps being interessting. To I appreciate there are no CGI and they kept the scenarios sort of realistic.

2 Likes

If dramas are an okay option, I HIGHLY suggest this one. It is crime AND thriller AND suspense, and it is outstanding. I came to Viki for the romance, but this one (without an ounce of romance) is probably in my top 5 overall.

4 Likes

Flower of Evil is a cousin of Devil Judge. They both explore, in a very interesting way, the question, “what happens when we don’t judge a book by its cover but judge it instead by its contents?”

Love and compassion are powerful elements in both, and the writing, acting, and music are compelling. But they are both very hard to watch because they are intense. Seeing them an episode at a time makes them bearable.

On the other hand, a movie like Ballerino . . . if that movie’s intensity got somehow transferred into sixteen episodes, it would be devastating. I would never stop crying.

I wept non-stop through Ballerino and felt a great sense of relief at the end. It was a beautiful movie with a beautiful ending, but perhaps because it was more or less the story of an entire nation’s suffering, rather than an individual’s suffering, it was almost too much to bear.

2 Likes

another rewatch!!

2 Likes

I am waiting for this one to start.

4 Likes

@choitrio

I am anxiously waiting for that one, but; are they really gonna have it here? If not at least NTFX.

I have seen so many great movies/dramas lately on other sites. RViki is getting behind when before it was my number 1 with dramas. I saw one movie and 1 drama you worked on, they are oldies but great ones.

Can you mention the oldie ones you worked on so far? Recent ones I know and watched already.

@choitrio Someone recommended this one and i saw that …
You was an english editor here. Great movie!

PS> I watched MONSTER in movie version.

3 Likes

Yep, “The Veil” will definitely be here at Viki and the Subtitle Team is forming already. Not only NF but now it seems that iqiyi is also licensing K-dramas as well.

Unfortunately, since the “On Air” dramas are always in desperate need of Kor-Eng subbers, it’s hard for us to find the time to work on oldies.

3 Likes

Yes, “Le Grand Chef” is a great movie, except that some parts are hard to watch as an animal lover. I really enjoyed researching the history behind Yukgaejang, which by the way is one of my favorite Korean dishes.

3 Likes

I recently watched the full drama, “Gourmet” and yes, the whole cow search and beef competition episodes I had to watch zoomed out. They treated the cow well only because then its meat would be better-tasting! I’m not only an animal lover but a vegetarian, and much of the food was extremely yucky for me.
I was also grossed out by the actress playing the female lead. I vowed never to watch something with her in it again. The romance between the two main leads was so lame that I wished there was no romance at all - or that he ended up with the other one.
I don’t know how they condensed all that saga into a movie! Everyone said that it was inferior to the drama but of course I don’t have a personal opinion.

2 Likes

@choitrio
except that some parts are hard to watch as an animal lover

The reason why scenes like that (with animals) don’t bother me at all is because since my daughter worked as Production Assistant in films, and described to me how animal scenes were done, and how they make the blood with a mixture of Ketchup and water, and also the reason why the gorgeous plate of food in front of actors are not edible; are even funnier!

If anything, ever since I learned how movies worked; I lost a lot of interest in watching them bc I concentrate so much on what I know on how they make those scenes that it takes away the feels, emotions etc. They do look very realistic, but they don’t abuse this animals as we think they do. There are laws that protects the animals, and when making scenes like that they need special permissions on how to handle the animals for the scenes etc.

For example, can you imagine if this scenes were real, and it takes so many re-takes to make the scene to look almost perfect, the suffering of up to 20 ''fishes, cows, pigs would go through? When I didn’t know how scenes were done I would vomit from this scenes, but after knowing, it doesn’t bother me at all. I only watched that movie bc of the ML actor that I can’t believe that 10 years later he looks the same! What a hunk!

Oddly enough, what I can’t stand is to see them cut into the meat/steak, and see the blood running, as I look in horror when they take that piece of meat to their mouth (but of course the scene changes before actress/actor puts it in their mouth). I’m Honestly not into Asian food bc the food is too salty, too spicy for my taste so none of those plates appeal to me. I love kimchi but it has to be mild only.

What I mainly loved about that movie was to find out if a generation of shame dating back from eras back had anything to do with ML, so I really loved the ending, and the outcome it had. To me that movie had nothing to do about the food, but the history behind it.

Blockquote

1 Like

@irmar, I am not too fond of the FL either. I recently watched 2 dramas with her as either the main or the supporting cast and kept wishing someone else had the role.

@angelight313_168, I agree that when you get past the animal butchery scene, the movie does a great job of weaving the history with the cooking and I was very much satisfied with the ending.

2 Likes

They have this one on NTFX really scary. I’ll put a request to see here.

Possessed ) is a 2009 South Korean horror film

1 Like

I remember Gourmet. I saw it “back in the day” about the same time as I was watching *Kimchi Family (which was such a wonderful drama). Worse than the worst American soap opera. Everyone was definitely “chewing the scenery,” one of my favorite English-language expressions describing overacting.

1 Like

I liked the old gentleman.

1 Like

Is that the grandfather who wore loafers with his traditional clothing? He was a great character, and the actor who played him sort of grounded everyone else.

1 Like

Both him and the restaurant owner (father and adoptive father of the rival chefs). The scenes with those two were good.

1 Like

@angelight313_168, I just translated all five teasers for “The Veil”. The drama looks really promising.

3 Likes

@choitrio

I’m going to watch the drama as soon as it’s available here. I heard great things about it, and I’m looking forward to watching something different. I’ll check the teasers now. Thank you!::smile::smile:

PS. I LOVE that actor playing serious roles like that, and I was furious he was not taking more serious roles. I know it will be a hit! This looks like a remake of a movie schwarzenegger did a long time ago and the ending is shocking and wonderful!

@choitrio
I saw a video on YT of Jeju Island, and the person walks through almost EVERYTHING during the day and night (he/she did omitted some parts wished he/she didn’t) They have a gorgeous waterfall there and a ‘‘Flea Market’’ where they sell everything. Some parts like the waterfall reminded me of the tourist areas with waterfalls in my Island. I hope your trip goes full force bc is truly a paradise to visit. But the beach? was too rough and I saw no one bathing there. Also, I didn’t know people live in that Island. I saw buildings in the background. Wish I could see it in person…:cry:

3 Likes

thank you! that is good to know!!!

2 Likes