Korean Drama With Urdu Subtitles

Hi Everyone… I’m working on subbing for a Korean drama in Urdu language. Want to get an opinion whether the language speakers would like to have the subtitles in romanized urdu or urdu transcript?
Looking forward to all the responses

1 Like

I don’t speak Urdu, but in my opinion you should use the Urdu alphabet.

We had the same discussion a while ago about Hindi:

Should Korean subs be romanized? Should Russian subs be romanized? Bulgarian? Japanese? Chinese?
I would like to shout out no. Cherish your language and all of its characteristics.

4 Likes

I subtitle for Hindi and our languages are almost the same except for the differences in script and to some extent the vocabulary.

Short answer: No

Long Answer: Absolutely Not.

A very good reason is different people have different thoughts about romanizing words.

For you “no” can be nahi, for me, it can be nhi for others it can be ni
You might want to romanize “yes” as haan, I might want to romanize it as han, others might want to choose ha or even hn or some lazy people also write h

Just like what Mirjam said, cherish what your language gave you rather than becoming a lazy person. There are so many languages which lost their scripts over time because of romanization and Tagalog is one such example. There are languages struggling to choose their scripts, like Serbian.

You can also consult some Urdu subtitlers and ask what they have in their mind.
Even then, I am afraid there is a subtitler with almost 100K subs and some others who use latin to write Urdu subs.

cynthialynch705_86
irbaz51_16
hannahbaker_098
mkwrites
talha
samiha_14
fatima_mujahid
hafsanahmed
juhikosmos

6 Likes