Korean Historical Dramas

Does anyone know of any good Korean dramas/movies that take place during Japanese occupation? I know that’s a bit specific but I’m trying to do a little more self-research on the topic. I have watched Assassination (2015, movie) and Mr. Sunshine (2018, drama) and if you haven’t, I greatly recommend them

2 Likes

Not available in all countries, but it has a lot of fiction, so I don’t know if it will suit your research.

Capital Scandal is another one, not on Viki anymore.

4 Likes

I know you want dramas but this movie like assassination is simply amazing, and I liked the ending.

The Age of Shadows with Gong Yoo amazing 140 minute movie about a resistance movement against the Japanese. Available on NTFX.

This is a fantasy drama but is based on fighting the Japanese. Available here on Rviki.

3 Likes

There is also

4 Likes

Hymn of Death - a 2018 television series based on true events, The series depicts the tragic romance between Joseon first soprano Yun Sim-deok and the genius playwright, Kim U-jin

Chicago Typewriter - The series depicts three resistance fighters who lived during the 1930s Japanese occupation of Korea, and are reincarnated into the present as a best-selling writer in a slump, a fan, and a ghostwriter.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a recommendation for any interesting kdrama series that took place during the joseon era?

2 Likes
4 Likes

My Country: The New Age (2019) is a really good drama that’s actually about the start of the Joseon era. There’s also Rookie Historian Goo Hae-ryung at the same site/app

I also enjoy Warrior Baek Dong Soo, (previously mentioned)

and

4 Likes

@kor_knight

Movie worth watching

https://www.viki.com/movies/36066c-the-age-of-blood

2 Likes

I would love to find portrait of a poet and watch it again

the decoder, its good but kinda boring, yeah its chinese

Different dreams
Dr stranger
fist & furious
mad dog

heres some Chinese if you like
mystic nine and the second one
disguiser
sparrow I did like this one

2 Likes

It’s a wonderful true story that will break your heart KANG HA NEUL role was amazing, and I read they gave the award to the other guy which made absolutely NO SENSE to me.
Is not licensed here but I did Spanish subs on it and at that time I was able to watch. I CRIED A RIVER

3 Likes

restricted here

1 Like

@frustratedwriter

Out of the blue they put it restricted access, and I’m pissed bc not too long ago everyone could watch that wonderful movie. The Black and White movie is magical.

1 Like

Here as well. :cry: (

1 Like

You mean Europe too, right?. That sucks! Hope you get to see it. Although it’s a very painful story to watch. [You will cry a river]…I love Kang Ha Neul bc he’s a great young actor that is not rewarded enough for his great acting (have you seen FORGOTTEN?).

Something needs to change on how SK treats and rewards the great actors they have, and bring so much money into that country but they get paid PEANUTS (have you seen how little they get paid?) I was horrified bc they bring so much money into the economy of that country, and they don’t get even a fraction of the profits they bring forth into SK. OUTRAGEOUS!

2 Likes

Indeed.

No. Is it on Viki?

Can’t say I’m surprised. K-pop artists get their “education” and often also their housing and whatever they need as a loan from their record company, and then almost all of which they earn as a musician (if they ever make it that far) will be with-drawn from them as pay-off for years to come. In the meantime they have to work their socks off, get hardly any sleep and risk being dismissed any time.

2 Likes

FORGOTTEN is on Netflix. Hope you can see it, it’s a psychological thriller. It will shock you; the twist it has.

@mirjam_465
PS. I have to point out that K-pop singers/rookie actors idols, get paid $$$$ very well, and like you added here all travel expenses, accommodations etc are paid for them, too. The ones that don’t get a fair price in SK, Japan or China are ACTORs/ACTRESS, who are not idols, singers etc… In other words, they are just plain actors in dramas/movies. They bring as much income in to the media world as any idol/singer bc we have a mature audience who watch all this K/J/C/ dramas available.

2 Likes

I heard otherwise. Of course at some point they can become succesfull enough to earn big money, but first they have to pay off everything their record company ever paid for them. Of course it may depend on which way to fame they choose, but I heard this is a common thing.

2 Likes

Well, they do have expensive houses, cars and have a good life so they get a share of their profits. But of course that’s with ‘‘the sweat of their blood’’ They are exploited to the max and get away with it bc they have a government system that don’t protect these idols, singers, actors, actress and that is why so many commit suicide in that country.

Just recently on YT I saw a famous young idol begging for food!!! I was sobbing bc I can’t see anyone hungry asking for food like he was. He had fainted and when he came to, all you hear him saying is: ‘‘I want to eat food.’’ ‘‘I’m hungry, give me food (between sobs).’’
It turns out that 3 days before any concert these idols are not allowed to eat solid food, but are put under a strict diet. NO wonder they look like UNICEF kids from third world country bc they starve them! I hope fans get involve and help these poor idols.

The BTS group last time they were here in Central Park giving a concert, ate so much here in NYC that they all got sick (of course their stomach must be closed by then). When we humans don’t eat for long periods of time, our stomach ‘’.’‘closes up’’ and when we try to eat again, we get a lot of excruciating pain.

2 Likes

They have the weirdest rules and restrictions. They’re “married to their fans”, so they can’t have relationships or have to hide it very well. They often have to live in one house with their bandmates. Training all the time and indeed, strict diet …

I once saw an interview with the mother of a girl who had tried to make it as a singer. They recruit at young age, so she was still in school. But she would come back in the middle of the night/early morning from her training. And then she would collapse by the front door and lie there till she had to get back up again to go to school, maybe 2 hours later or so.

2 Likes