Lack of New Korean dramas on Viki

Wow, I never knew, but over here, a similar thing happened to the famous Dutch streaming site (so famous that Viki now also censors it :sweat_smile: ): ■■■■■■■■■ (Netherlands) - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Haha! And they’re competing against NF! :smile: How funny is that! In this busines, you’ve got to watch your back!

2 Likes

That’s not true. They did it by mail first. They still offer that service separately from streaming. There was and still is another company that ran kiosk film rentals situated in high foot traffic areas. The consumer would return the product in the same box. The company has since expanded to streaming as well.

1 Like

Oh yeah, the good old red box unit (DVD rentals)… there were also at grocery stores. You could also buy the DVD instead of returning I think. Those were the times, movie nights at home :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
@mirjam_465 look :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve been a subscriber since 2016 and it feels like things have thinned out over the years. It’s understandable given big budget North American media streaming companies have started competing.

But surely there are lower budget, less prominent Korean shows they could use to flush out the roster? They seem to be doing this with Chinese shows to a certain extent (although I feel they could do more here too). And then of course the big question is what about Japanese dramas? Viki is owned by Rakuten which I assume is Japanese, no?

The other concerning trend aside from not maintaining and growing a roster is the addition of anime and the creeping growth of the boy love(? BL?) genre. Neither appeals much to me. I’m not about to cancel my subscription or anything but if things keep trending like this for several more years I might end up cancelling because I won’t find anything I like that I haven’t already watched.

6 Likes

Don’t they still have these in Walmart and in front of the drugs stores. I have never use them personally. Right after I cut the cord as they say I switched to Viki and using the Roku for my entertainment. I just reup my service at Viki. I hope they get more soon. I fill like I am searching for something new but end up watching old ones that I already watched 2 or 3 times.

3 Likes

■■■■■■■ is bringing huge amounts of K Dramas to the US, both previously aired & new releases. ■■■■■■■■■■■■ is too. This might explain why.

Sad that you feel like that, I think there’s a few interesting things coming and I don’t always judge a thing by its ratings. I have seen seriers with bad ratings that in my opinion was great and we should all try to remember that sometimes series here has bad ratings because they might not be translated to a specific language (that’s something that sort of irritates me). :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It’s the same for me. I don’t decide to watch a serie because of her rating but because of my interest. When you read shows reviews of viewers it’s 50% of real reviews and 50% of non English viewers complaining about subbing process. This damned NT brings good and bad things : the baddest one is the rapidity of translation. People here are volunteers and not paid. That’s why sometimes the process of translation is slow. But the show doesn’t deserve bad ratings coming from subs. What a lack of respect to the production of drama. But it’s not the topic here. Now Viki seems to turn the page of Korean drama (many licenses are obtained by many other platforms). They are going to Chinese dramas, BL ans now animes.

4 Likes

VERY few, LOL! The lack of Korean dramas is so serious that they are trying to fill it up with ten-year-old films, crappy web dramas and lots of reality shows. Maybe you haven’t been around that long, so you don’t remember how many there were to choose from before KCW (the problem was only partly solved with Vikipass Plus) and more recently NFx and D.y+ came aggressively into the Asian market.
If you do remember, stating that the problem is non-existent is hiding your head under the sand.
It’s enough to go to the topic “Dramas we would like to see on Viki” to see how many posts are “sadly, this one has been taken by X, Y, Z”.

5 Likes

I see that all those platforms Ntflix, Disney, appleTv and etc offers shows by the region, now Viki too, some shows i was watching are no longer available for my region, or new to viki shows from 2009…
I am lucky with my current location and Ntflix choice of new Korean dramas, there are at least 3 new series every week.

1 Like

I agree that it’s not like before and that we are getting more and more animes (I think that there was about two or maybe three last year all and all), the reason I came to Viki in the first place was k-drama and I might be naive and perhaps dumb but I really hope that we are getting more new than the once we have seen that is coming. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

some may like those animes , I don’t cause actors & actreses arent getting paid, even if the dramas may be bad. Give me Hoomannns!
I admit, I have attempted to watch those animes, but just not my cup of tea!! even the older dramas are ok, HA! I couldn’t go on with those 3 hotel dramas that I put on the other link what are you watching, guess we are looking for the fresher dramas.

The fact is that there is a very flourishing anime community, with their own dedicated websites, servers, fan subbers, and a very dedicated specialized audience. That’s why Viki didn’t even touch them. An anime lover would go to those websites, which have a staggering quantity and variety of them, instead of here where there only a few.

2 Likes

What makes you think that voice actors don’t get paid? :thinking:

Personally, I don’t have a problem with what Viki is offering. What I don’t like, I just don’t watch. There are always plenty of shows that I plan to watch at some point and new ones are always coming before I run out of options. But then again, I’m not confining myself to shows from a certain area or a certain genre. Every country has good shows. Why exclude everything that just happens to be anything other than Korean? And old shows I hadn’t seen before are still new to me. And ratings are just numbers. They don’t say anything about whether I would like a show or not (unless I was the one doing the rating).

7 Likes

The problem being that most (not all, there are notable exceptions!) Korean shows made before 2015 are barely watchable. The female leads are childish and obnoxious and bubbly-cute types waiting to be saved by the man, there’s the forced kiss/wrist grab seen as romantic, the ridiculous makjang tropes, the over-acting, the eating with open mouth (thankfully most actors are careful of this nowadays), the toilet humour, the prejudice against divorced people etc. taken as normal and granted, the man being the family head as normal… Generally they are old-fashioned in many nasty ways. (Not even starting to mention the male characters’ hair!)
As I said, there are notable exceptions. But the risk is definitely there!
Chinese dramas too, they have started to evolve in the last couple of years, nowadays you can see some heroines who are not cringe-worthy and infantilized (for instance in “Lighter and Princess”).

5 Likes

I agree with you, old Korean shows are plain for me, just like watching Latino tele-novella’s from 80’s.

2 Likes

getting so bored with these shows!! and not able to find something that I would like

1 Like

Try watching “My Lovely Boxer”. I’m loving it. I first thought that I wouldn’t, because I don’t like boxing one bit, but I started because of the lead actor. Then I discovered that it’s a beautiful drama, and the female lead is awesome as well. And, although it involves the world of boxing and of sports in general, there’s not much boxing: we are 8 episodes in and there’s only been one match!

3 Likes

ok will do! my lovely boxer