Lack of New Korean dramas on Viki

Does anyone else miss dramafev**? Those were like the good old days of kdrama

3 Likes

yesto that

Their translations were mostly subpar but they sure were fast.

1 Like

I definitely do miss DF. They had a lot of great content, along with reliable sub schedule. Most of the available content at the time was covered between them and V. If you were a member of V and a member of DF you could watch almost every airing K drama, just with those 2 sites. Those were good times.

3 Likes

I do know & realize its licenses and all, but gosh why do these other ones get these dramas,

and I cannot believe they "steal " these dramas
. I really am getting upset, and depressed with V here lately, and really a shame, oh yeah I am considering leaving, donā€™t really want to been 11 years with them,

but one thing, you go to those other sites, well some of them, have lousy interpretations!! Thatā€™s one reason why I want to stick here. they used to have such good dramas,

but now not so much. oh, I hate to gripe and complain. ā€œif you canā€™t say anything good, donā€™t say anything at allā€ an old saying way back when, but it still is a good one for the dayā€¦ just wish they would/could do something. I guess I will wait and see for now.

another ā€œwonderā€ maybe going out of business?

well, it started also with the creation of Kocowa, although they said they will be expanding to other countries, so far nothing happened but some dramas are shared with the Viki PlusPass meaning the Americas.

Now come other platforms who noticed the demand and started producing their own project, so the cake gets even smaller and therefore viki has now shifted to BL, more Japanese, Chinese and even Animeā€¦

3 Likes

Why would anyone want to limit themselves to Korean-only when there is so much more to enjoy?

5 Likes

ā€œSo much more?ā€ Until very recently, Chinese dramas sucked! The acting was terrible and the dubbing painfully obvious, the plots very outdated, repetitive and clichĆ©, they dragged and dragged. The characters were ā€œstock figuresā€ with only one characteristic defining them: the heroines always childlike and bubbly, the heroes always cold and wooden, the best friend supportive, the gay friend a clown you laughed at. I did try watching some of them and I had to drop them like hot potatoes. Only in the last couple of years they started making some quality stuff every now and then. For instance Lighter and Princess was excellent, so was Love of Fairy and Devil. And there were a couple more I watched with pleasure: although they were not that remarkable, they were good.But they are still the exception (and ā€œFairyā€ still had the child voice).
In comparison, Korean dramas (which were also like that in the 2000s) started becoming better as soon as 2016 - although you could still find the demodƩ tropes, there was more and more quality content every passing year. Nowadays some of them explore very interesting subjects in depth, and the characters are much more rounded and well-written.
And letā€™s not mention Thai dramas - I donā€™t know how many years it will take for them to become watchable.

2 Likes

These Chinese dramas are outstanding : Meet Yourself - The Long River - The Bond - The Last Goodbye to Mama - The Youth Memories - ā€¦

1 Like

donā€™t forget those high-pitched voices!! and thanks for letting ME know I am not the only one!!

at first I thought those China dramas were good, but again lately some bad dramas there too. oh I am watching that fairy & swo0rd, wow thought it would be good,

but that high-pitched voice gets to me, the storyline does sound good though, maybe a mermaid instead of a fairy. I am going to finish it cause they got my curiosity up

. just wish all of them would get their act together, and the writers? should I start writing? me the frustrated writer, hehehehe the mysteries are and were good, but they lose out somehow. oh well I guess we will just have to ā€œlive with it.ā€ and no I am not going to write.

1 Like

Then how do you feel about Taiwanese dramas?

2 Likes

Some Korean makjangs are bad too, too many cliches and deja vue, amnesia, secret child, etc. I like some chinese historicals that are good and few modern ones. I donā€™t watch Japanese after i watched 2 projects and I tried Anime, and thatā€™s probably for younger generation. I do like movies, lately Viki are holding on them tight (coming soon)ā€¦ they used to have moreā€¦ and BL isnā€™t my cup of tea. I did watch 3 good Taiwanese series, one was with Ruby Lin :wink: Lately, I feel, I watched too many dramas in my lifeā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™ve just been unlucky. Chinese dramas are as good and as bad as Korean dramas.

3 Likes

theres about 4 I thoroughly enjoyed watching

mas4 yes i do agree, no matter, some how they are or have gotten better than the korean ones

1 Like

Oh, which ones?

sweet sweet bodyguard
the perfect match
love cousine
man from the future

now I didnt just write thezse out, I watched them!!

the first four anyway

4 Likes

that was a cute sweet drama with Lego Lee and Allison Lin, I liked the cooking, the food part and the young kids. I was fortunate to write subs there. Sadly, Viki removed it also My Dear Boy with Ruby Lin is gone.

2 Likes

I just have the standard membership and I noticed that some dramas that are viki plus will become standard after a few months? and I guess some that are standard become free after a while, why is that? is there any way to really know when that happens or not?

1 Like

Some but not all. I waited more than a year for a drama to do that and it didnā€™t.
And then, some really old dramas, Iā€™m talking of VERY old, are behind vikipass, when newer ones are free.
So thereā€™s no rule, or at least none that we as outsiders can guess.