Laptop for subbing/segging

I am about to buy a new laptop. I have just started the training for segmenting and eventually hope to sub, so I want something that will support those activities. I suppose I need to be able to run Adobe Flash. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Screen size? Memory?

2 Likes

Viki’s video platform is in html meaning you don’t need Adobe Flash, this app is still used by other websites though. I can tell you I even subbed from a tablet with a keyboard. A laptop is certainly more convenient because of a better keyboard and if you use photoshop etc. programs. To write subtitles and segments does not require a high tech machine, but sound quality is a plus I would think if you need to hear the said. If you plan to contribute a lot, a pair computer glasses to reduce glare is a good idea. Also something that won’t get hot easily if you have it on your lap.
Storage capacity is probably secondary but processing memory size is, 4 gb is rather limited when you work with several windows or tabs open if not it’s just fine.

2 Likes

Thank you for this helpful information.

1 Like

My MacBook is really good for this, it is incredibly fast and is really good at saving things. I recommend if you don’t have an apple device then any good laptop would do. The main thing it needs is storage. I would buy an external storage device of Amazon.

I understand in the very near future, Adobe Flash won’t be used/available in both the segment timer and the sub editor. HTML5 is the preferred platform.

1 Like