Learning Korean :)

Yes.

Right.

It all depends on the context.

If a husband says 내사람/내여자, then it would be “my wife or my woman.” If a boyfriend says the same thing, it would be “my girl/ my girlfriend.”

If a boss says 내사람 about his secretary, it would be “my secretary (that I’m responsible for).”

If a king says 내사람, it would be my people or my subject that I care for (or responsible for). Yes, it does imply loyalty to the king and implying that that person is on King’s side and vice versa.

8 Likes

@vivi_1485, @oriya, @leerla73, thanks to all of you, I actually think I am becoming a better translator. I agree that “my person” does sound awkward. In its pure literal form 사람 is “person”, 남자 is “male” or “man”, 여자 is “female” or “woman” and 내 is the possessive pronoun “my”. Therefore, when 내 is used to refer to a person, man, or woman, I think it carries strong emphasis on the possessive nature of the relationship whether it refers to the closeness, loyalty, responsibility or romantic involvement and should be translated accordingly depending on the context. I think “one who’s on my side”, “one who’s loyal to me”, “one who’s my responsibility”, “my wo(man)” all would be proper translation.

7 Likes

I am going to chime in for a second, without having any context or any actual knowledge of Korean, but simply from the perspective of a native US English speaker. There is a very famous quote from a very famous television show here in the US (Grey’s Anatomy), in which one FL refers to another FL as ‘My person’. In this context she meant ‘my closest confidante, the person whom I rely on most, whom I can always count on, who will always be by my side no matter the circumstances and also whom I relate to on a very deep level’. So referring to someone as ‘my person’ or a group of people that you share a deep affinity or connection with as ‘my people’, is very common. In the context of dramas, it would absolutely make sense to me to hear a King refer to someone as ‘my person’.

4 Likes

When it comes to a king referring to his ‘‘staff/workers/maid/etc.’’
I think MY SUBJECT (is in my opinion) the most logical and best translation. I see that translation a lot, and feel so comfortable with it. On the other hand, when I read MY PERSON it bothers me a lot bc a person is not an object is a human being.

I’m really going by the way we translate subject in Spanish:
Súbdito: es quien está sujeto a la autoridad de un superior y tiene la obligación de obedecerle.
Subject: is someone who is bind to the authority from a superior, and his/her obligation is to follow his/her orders.

But the real expert here @ajumma2 explained everything so perfectly here that makes all the sense in the world.

ajumma2
It all depends on the context.
If a husband says 내사람/내여자, then it would be “my wife or my woman.” If a boyfriend says the same thing, it would be “my girl/ my girlfriend.”

ajumma2
If a boss says 내사람 about his secretary, it would be “my secretary (that I’m responsible for).”

ajumma2
If a king says 내사람, it would be my people or my subject that I care for (or responsible for). Yes, it does imply loyalty to the king and implying that that person is on King’s side and vice versa.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I’m not a linguist, nor am I a professional translator (although I did do a couple part time gigs right after college either as a favor or just to earn some extra Mula! :wink: ) As a Korean-American immigrant, I just happen to be bilingual and know both cultures pretty well. There are many other Korean-Americans who could have given the same answer. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

But “My subject” can refer to all the citizens of the kingdom, too. Everyone lower in rank to the king is his subject. However, “My person” is only for the team of people who follow the king around wherever he goes, work only for him, are loyal to him, and take care of his person (his body/well-being). They are his dedicated little team, and their only concern is him. The Queen’s handmaiden is the king’s subject, but not the King’s person. All the courtiers/ministers are subjects, but the King doesn’t refer to any of them as “my person.”

Instead of objectifying people, I think it marks responsibility and protection. If a minister or queen troubles/tortures a king’s person, they are invoking the king’s wrath. If the person does anything dishonorable, it’s reflected on the king. “Manage your person” “Look what your person did” Sometimes the Crown Prince/Concubine/High minister takes responsibility for what “their people” do.

3 Likes

:laughing: that Mula is such an American expression! And all this time I thought you were in South Korea. :laughing:

3 Likes

@padmalayag
The symbol “ㄹ” is used for both “l” and “r” sound. So you can’t really stop anyone from interchanging it. “파드마아야” is wrong because “마” already has the “a” sound. It’s the equivalent of “पद्माअया.” See how the “a” sound is uselessly repeated twice?

So your name should be written as “파드마라야.” But I don’t think you should use this, because “야” is also used as an informal particle. So you could either just shorten the name to “Padma - 파드마” or just get a Korean name :smile: My name is “Andrea,” and it’s pretty hard to write in Korean, so I either use “Andi - 엔디” or I use the Korean name I got myself - “강애린” because it sounds closest to my name :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

@vivi_1485,
Google returned 안드레아. I think this sounds like Andrea. The accent used by the automation, can make it sound more, or less where the 레 sounds comes in, but we know ㄹ is

if used wrong, it can change the meaning of a word.

3 Likes

Imagine my what my nightmares look like :rofl::rofl:

@padmalayag
In case you don’t know Devanagari –

పద్మాఅయా

I guess 빠 could also fit here (better), since ㅍ has a ‘h’ touch in it – more like फ (not फ़*) or ఫ whereas ㅃ is more tensed like प or ప.

But then even 빠 produces different sounds. The ㅃ sound is different in oppa or appa and in words like 뿔, 뻗다, 빵. In some words, ㅃ has प/ప sound whereas in other words, it has प्प/ప్ప sound (but never फ/ఫ.)
There is no stretching of ‘p’ sound in latter words. Am I right? @ajumma2

Try listening to 빠드마 and then 파드마 (maybe together as well) in our all time frenemy Google Translate and see which spelling fits better?

P.S. For those who are interested in the difference between फ and फ़. फ is ‘ph’ whereas फ़ is ‘f’. फ़ came to Hindi via Persian and then Urdu, I guess. फ़ is one of the sounds that was born due to addition of nuqta in Hindi.

6 Likes

That sounds like “Ahn-deu-ray-ah” :joy: I like the “a” as in “apple” sound for the “An” in “Andrea”. I’ve debated this thing a LOT with my Hindi teachers - each one spelled my name differently in Hindi because there’s no “a” for “apple” sound like in Hindi. I finally settled on the “에” sound.

EXO’s Chanyeol said my name once… one of his MV models’ name was Andrea, and he said it like “엔드리아”. NCT DREAM’s Park Jisung’s English name is Andy Park, and that’s spelled “엔디,” too :smile:

nah… “빠” has too much of a “B” sound to it… they say “bang” when talking fast.

4 Likes

I know hindi and sanskrit letters, will reply tmr
Thanks, @shraddhasingh and @vivi_1485

4 Likes

To each their own :woman_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

There are specific rules. It always sounds as R before a vowel (example: sarang=love).
It even changes a given name in the imperative. For instance, a person called Byeol (=star), if you call them, using casual style, Byeol-ah!, then it would be pronounced ByeoR-ah, because the vowel after the “ㄹ” affects its pronounciation.
Same if you are called Song Cheol. If someone mentions your name, it will be with L at the end. But if your friend calls you directly, it will be “Song CheoRah!”

What if you want to have an actual “L” before a vowel? Well, then you have to put two of them. In that case it becomes “L” again. Like in “palli”(=quick)

Back to Andrea. No Korean would pronounce it “AndLea” instead of “AndRea”.
However I noticed their R is not very hard, it’s a bit softer than we would pronounce it.

5 Likes

@ajumma2
Then won’t the romanisation of what you wrote look like this padmallaya?

3 Likes

The Romanization: Yes, but not the pronunciation. It’s funny because the GT “voice” emphasizes the last A the most, and the ─ also sounds very Korean. But your name is VERY beautiful in both ways.

4 Likes

Beautiful! Lol I don’t like it, it sounds wierd

Screenshot_20211108-153611_Chrome

Try this word, it’s the most nearest pronounciation. Hear it once.
పద్మాలయ

2 Likes

Thanks for the information! I vaguely knew about it by experience, but I didn’t know the actual rules :sweat_smile:

Yes, but does that really matter? I’ve often found romanization quite inefficient when it comes to some sounds… you’ve seen me use Sanskrit script instead of English because some sounds just aren’t available in English.

My native language is Kannada, and the letter for “l” seems to be the same, so I’m assuming that the “l” sound is not the “ळ” sound, but the " ल" sound… I hardly ever hear Koreans use the softer L - ल sound… they usually say it as “ळ.” So, with our different accents, it’s hard to get your name perfectly pronounced by a native Korean.

3 Likes

Yes in laya this should be used.

I can read kannada because Telugu alphabets and kannada alphabets are 95+% similar
Some are same letters

May be I’ll learn more about pronunciation once I start learning words, thanks everyone!
I even set a notes for Korean.

1 Like

Yes, that’s true. If you want your Korean name to be spelled like the romanization of your name, then I would spell it like 파드마라야. But if you spell it that way, some Koreans would pronounce it like Padmalaya and others would pronounce it like Padmaraya. So if you want the “L” sound, then you should spell it like 파드말라야. You can read irmar’s post above for explanation.

26%20PM

Okay, I just used the Google Translate to hear పద్మాలయ, and this is what I hear in Korean: 빠드말레야.

2 Likes