Learning Korean :)

I would spell Andrea as 앤드리아, but don’t listen to the Google Translation of it as that sounds totally off.

3 Likes

Screenshot_20211108-225946_Chrome
La became le anyway thanks a lot @ajumma2

2 Likes

BTW, no Korean would actually pronounce 빠드말레야 the way Google Translate says it! Their intonation is totally off! lol
Each of the first 4 characters (빠 드 말 레) would probably have similar intonation and 야 (the last character) sound would go up a little higher.

If your name sounds more like Padmaalaaya, instead of Padmaaleiya, then I would spell it like 빠드말라야.

3 Likes

I think this is most accurate spelling of my name, thank you so much!

2 Likes

Your name in Korean looks like 슈라다씽 to me. :smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks for the idea! I guess I’ll go with 샤라다씽 :kissing_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I recently restarted my Duolingo Korean course… I don’t really like it because they don’t explain anything - i have to learn using the practice questions. In the Mandarin course, there are tips and explanations before most of the practice tests, but there are hardly any in the Korean one.

Just as an experiment, I took the Checkpoint test(like a unit level test) without doing most of the practice topics and I still passed. I just had to rely on my ears and play the audio a few times… I could guess what the sentence meant.

Guess i have to look for some good grammar explaining sites… I’m currently using howtostudykorean.com

3 Likes

For getting a good grip on Hangul, Duolingo is the best in my opinion.

Thanks for the website,I’ll check it.

3 Likes

theres another one out there, gotta find it, but it was quite good.

Babbel.com oh dear, think it costs money

2 Likes

I already learned Hangul from 90daykorean so i didnt need Duolingo’s course for that… Right now, I’m just using it to expand my vocabulary and practice grammar after I study it from howrostudykorean. that website explains Korean grammar very well because they’re catering to TOPIK students, too.

2 Likes

Oh… then it’s great, I’m just a beginner … Hahah

1 Like

You think your name is difficult to pronounce in Korean, Mine is a question. :laughing:

Cindy - is said as shin-dee instead of sin-dee and Seneca is 세네까 4-5-question? :laughing: :rofl:

3 Likes

Many people pronounce my name wrong, so here I’m just padma, instead of padmalaya

3 Likes

I heard this sentence in a movie, not sure of the spelling:

이 집 누가 설결한 거예요? Who designed this house?

What’s the infinite form of 설결한? Because I couldn’t find it on Naver. If I misheard it, what’s the right spelling?

2 Likes

I think you are looking for the word 설계 which means design. The infinitive form is 설계하다.

5 Likes

Ah, thank you

3 Likes

I take back what I said about Duolingo - the app isn’t very good, but the website is pretty good. I don’t know why Tips aren’t available on the app. I also stopped using the word bank and switched to using the Hangul keyboard… and that has made my entire progress slow down :sweat_smile: I’ve been taking the easy way for too long… trying to form sentences without the word bank is the challenging part of these exercises. And my spelling is just terrible :expressionless:

Question: How do I differentiate sentences like these when someone is speaking them?
이건 무리예요 = It’s too much.
이건 물이예요 = This is water.

Are these words pronounced differently or do I have to differentiate with respect to the context of the conversation?

One more question:

1. 의자에서 자는 것은 불편해.

2. 한 손으로 손목시계를 차는 것은 어려워요.
    Why is “한 손으로 손목시계를 차는 것이 어려워요” wrong? Is there a set order - “가/이” topic markers come before “은/는” subject markers?

3. 아이는 신발을 벗는 것이 쉽지 않다.
    while I wrote “아이가 신발을 벗는 것은 쉽지 않아요”

1 Like

The answer is the context.
For the 2nd sentence, you can say it the same way as the first sentence, OR you can emphasize the word, 물 (water), and then add 이예요 (is) separately.

Well, the 2nd sentence isn’t wrong, either. You COULD say 한 손으로 손목시계를 차는 것이 어려워요.
Although they have the same meaning, I think the nuance is slightly different.
1st sentence: 한 손으로 손목시계를 차는 것은 어려워요. “It’s hard to put a wristwatch on with one hand.” The speaker just wants to say this and that’s all she wants to say.
2nd sentence: 한 손으로 손목시계를 차는 것이 어려워요. “It’s hard to put a wristwatch on with one hand…” Here, the speaker is saying this sentence to explain something else. Like 한손으로 손목시계를 차는것이 어려워요. 그래서 매일 남편한테 시계 채워달라고 부탁해요. (It’s hard to put a wristwatch on with one hand, so I always ask my husband it put it on for me.) Or better yet, you would say it this way. “한손으로 손목시계를 차는것이 어려워서 매일 남편한테 시계 채워달라고 부탁해요.” “Because it’s hard to put the wristwatch on with one hand, I ask my husband to put it on for me everyday.”

1. 아이는 신발을 벗는 것이 쉽지 않다. It’s not wrong per say, but it’s awkward, and it doesn’t sound fluent. It can be used when you are talking about a specific child who has a disability or some type of issue. So you can say “이 아이는 장애때문에 신발을 벗는것이 쉽지 않다.” “Due to her disability, it’s hard for this child to take the shoes off.”

2. 아이가 신발을 벗는 것은 쉽지 않아요” “It’s hard for a child to take the shoes off.” This is a general sentence about children.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the explanation. I understood it well now :blush:

2 Likes

Take a listen guys, please give out your feedback here too, in discussions :slightly_smiling_face:
Video is 11:29
Cooking Korean food, speaking only (she tried) in Korean.

1 Like