Learning Korean :)

Is she from Mazelee family? I watch their video’s sometimes. Her flow of speaking sounds good

1 Like

Yes, it’s A•my•ah their oldest, a teen :slight_smile: it’s neat that you too follow the mazelee family.
Thanks for your experienced feedback @oriya :blush: :white_check_mark:
Amyah took up structured learning at an older age, based on the families vlogs. She’s watched dramas since very, very young, over her aunt’s shoulder, and with adult supervision, also based on the vlogs. :blush:
I hear her use of, a lot of, the more popular words, often used in convo, talking about k-pop stars, or from k- dramas.

2 Likes

There’s this song by Seventeen called 포옹 and I’m still confused over the meaning of one of the lyrics. Most of the sites give contradicting translations, and Papago was also not helpful.

“오늘 하루도 힘들었을 너에게 말해줄래
내가 있다고, 수고 했다고, 사랑한다고, 꽉 안아준다고”

This is the confusing part - “너에게 말해줄래”
I thought “너에게” means “to you”, so the sentence should mean “Can I tell you?” but a lot of translations say “Can you tell me?”. Am i missing something important related to the “-해줄래” particle?

1 Like

Actually, 너에게 말해줄래 is “I will tell you”. It is a statement not a question.

3 Likes

Isn’t -해줄께 the particle used for a statement? How do I distinguish between a question and a statement when -해줄래 is used?

1 Like

In the absence of a question mark, you can tell from the context. Since you know that 너에게 means “to you”, it wouldn’t make much sense to say “I will tell you?” I think that’s why many have erroneously translated it to “Can you tell me?” If I want to say “Can I tell you?” I would say 너에게 말해줄수 있을까?

2 Likes

Has anyone used Talk To Me In Korean grammar text books in learning Korean? If so, any feedback would be appreciated.

https://talktomeinkorean.com/product/gr1-10/

Or please share if there are any other books or online courses that were helpful to you personally.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

There’s an official TTMIK group on Discord for conversation and to help each other with language-learning problems or TTMIK assignments… You can join even if you are learning from somewhere else and just need a resource for conversation. I dont know whether you’re on Discord or not, though.

An online resource I find REALLY useful is howtostudykorean.com
They explain everything really well, focusing more on the grammar, structure and science behind the language rather than conversation/cultural context/everyday language skills(what Duolingo and 90daykorean are good at). It’s aimed at preparing students for the TOPIK, so you could describe it as having the “good old textbook style” encompassing all levels in 7 units - from the basics to advanced levels. I think its still an ongoing project, but there are currently 158 lessons available. There’s also a set of Hanja lessons.

I like how they break everything down to bits and help you learn the whys and hows of grammar so you can build your own sentences. To my knowledge, the person who has written it is an American with a Korean wife(she records all the audios). There is an associated YouTube channel for video learners, and they have some other resources like flash cards and workbooks.

90daykorean also has some helpful resources, both free and paid. Haven’t tried the paid stuff, but it connects you to an “Inner Circle” of native Korean-speaking teachers.

1 Like

Oh…
So does the sentence mean “Today was hard [for the listener] too, so I will tell you that I’m here, you did well, I love you, and i want to hug you tight.” ?
I’m having a hard time distinguishing between what is intended for the object and what is describing the subject here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your feedback.

It’s not for me anyway. :slight_smile:

Will have them check out howtostudykorean.com and 90daykorean, and pass along your feedback.

Thanks,

2 Likes

Now it’s my turn to answer your question. :wink:

“I will tell you, who must have had yet another hard day, that I am here, you’ve done a good job, I love you, and that I am hugging you tightly.”

3 Likes

@ajumma2,
I guess “. . .you. . .” is, the subject in the sentence?

English

http://www.butte.edu/departments/cas/tipsheets/grammar/sentence_structure.html#:~:text=The%20subject%20of%20a%20sentence,words%2C%20phrases%2C%20or%20clauses.

Korean

90daykorean.com/korean-sentence-structure/#:~:text=Sentence%20Structure”%20PDF-,Korean%20Subject%20Marker%20Particles,it%20ends%20in%20a%20consonant

“I” would be the subject and “you” would be the object.

1 Like

Unlike English, Koreans oftentimes omit subject and/or object in their sentences and assume that the listener will understand the meaning from the context. Here is an interesting read from Reddit.

In the above sentence 너에게 말해줄래, the subject “I (내가)” has been omitted.

4 Likes

Thank you, @ajumma2 and @choitrio!! I learnt something new today! :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I have all of the TTMIK books pdfs I am willing to share.
Email me at ttmiklearnkor@gmail.com and list which pdfs you would like (: I would love to help.

3 Likes

I hope you don’t mind having your email posted on the world wide, or wild :sweat_smile: web. Discussions is visible to anyone on the web.

3 Likes

Her email looks like she created specifically for TTMIK purpose, so it’s probably not her regular personal email address.

3 Likes

Is this true, or something else? That’s like telling everyone you meet your date of birth :thinking:

Summary

https://youtube.com/shorts/HXntmJ7sCYs?feature=share

1 Like

Never heard of it, and it’s not true. I think someone just made it up for fun.

3 Likes