Let's talk about the Reviews and Ratings!

The review sections is getting out of hand. People are just using the review section however they like, giving 1 star just because of subtitles and making shows really go down in ratings which is really unfair. Sometimes the show hasn’t even aired and they give it 1 star which is really irritating.
I put a Viki Ideas for them to deal with the review section. I know many have said this before but it doesn’t hurt to say it again. I mean it’s 2020 Viki needs to make changes and for once listen suggestions that people have continuously said.
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360038572194-Updating-Review-Section-and-Monitoring-Reviews

3 Likes

I will never forget that I once saw this.
A drama hasn’t aired yet. People who are excited to see it all gave 10 stars. One person got frustrated by that so they added a 1 star review to balance things out… (That is what the review said). That review made the average rating drop from 10 to around 8 or 8.5 (can’t really remember). I remember I got so annoyed by that person myself that I added a review to push the drama back up. XD
It looks discouraging for a viewer to see the bad rating when the drama has just begun, given that the bad rating is for no legit reason.
P.S. When the average rating went back up, I removed my review because it was not based on anything.

1 Like

That is really annoying, why would they give 1 star just to balance it out??? Ugh very irritating. I don’t blame you for trying to counteract their reviews it’s irritating the way they behave. It is discouraging for viewers to see a low rating. Viewers would think the show is not good where as its just people misusing the review section. I really wish Viki would do something about it. Even just simply look after the review section or even give a channel manager the power to remove reviews that have nothing to do with the show.

Okay, I’m not happy when a show isn’t any my language since I only speak English. But, I will look for an alternative to entertain myself, rather than complaining or rating something

3 Likes

There are quite a few threads on this topic, was it really necessary to add a new one?

https://discussions.viki.com/t/viki-drama-rating-system/8861

https://discussions.viki.com/t/rating-system-feedback-and-such/11910

By the way, this is another topic where threads would benefit from merging.
@jeslynl

1 Like

Since many years and especially in the last month’s the viewer misuse the review as if it’s something new. I REALLY hate to flag every few hours (after refreshing the page the flag icon is grey as if I didn’t flag it) if I am the channel manager or even a mod. :sweat:

Also new channels are having reviews even BEFORE it aired so the review is no longer credible and also (in the most cases) unreliable because some people abuse this system if they dont like a actor/actress to vent their anger or just because they an age gap (which is really stupid) or even bc they don’t like the story. That’s why I want to have a change here, I really do. I hope that all channel managers are able to delete any review’s who aren’t related to the story. If possible all mods would be able to flag the review and it saves this for 2 weeks or smth like that so the viki staff have enough time to check this. I really hope the you guys could take this to your heart, because the review system really need to change.

@vikicommunity @mariliam @jeslynl

(I am sorry if someone opened the same topic :sweat_smile:)

5 Likes

The review system has always been a problem. I feel really bad and upset whenever I see a 1 or 2 star review just because the English subs are not complete, or they don’t like the main cast, or other languages are not complete, or license restrictions. It affects negatively the whole channel by not encouraging other passing by vikiers to even check out a drama because it has a very low rating review.

It would be awesome if channel managers and moderators are allowed to delete them at once without waiting ages for Viki to review them or waiting for the flag thing to actually work. The ones who spend their time monitoring things in a channel is actually the English Team. We need some kind of tools to make things easier and faster for everyone.

The review system is no longer reliable.

Homework for Viki:

• Block the review system until a drama actually airs.
  • Allow Channel managers and moderators to delete reviews. We need trust here. We are not going to make it worse as what it is now. It’s a mess already.
  • Viki staff can check the history of the deleted reviews whenever they can and bring them back if they think they were deleted wrongly.
12 Likes

Thank for adding those point’s! I really forgot to add “not finished subs” here omg :sweat_smile:
I really hope viki will receive our suggestion’s well.

2 Likes

Honestly the review section is getting out of hand. And it’s getting ridiculous how many times we have voiced for someone to do something about it. People keep using the review section however they want to because no one is doing anything about it, and that is why they think they can continue.

Like others have suggested allow the channel Managers and moderators to delete reviews that are misusing the review section. Because clearly flagging these reviews is not working at all.

You can even set up detailed instructions for channel Managers and moderators saying only delete reviews that misuse review section and that meet these criteria eg gave low stars for the slowness of subs. eg Gave low stars because
subtitles in language not yet available etc the list goes on.

Viki members want to look at the overall rating of the show and know that it is actually reflective of the show itself. You get discouraged to watch a show if the rating is low (and sad thing it is low not because the show but because of subs). Viki you want more people to watch your shows so please do something about review section.

4 Likes

Just got back from the absolutely chaotic page of ‘Homemade Love Story:tired_face:
I think the team there were doing segmenting and subbing at the same time?? Because there are a crazy number of ‘reviews’(:roll_eyes:) saying that it shows English 100% but no subs.
There are almost NO actual reviews, so I don’t know whether to watch it or not because of the fake reviewing.
Has anyone watched the show? Could they give me a review?

1 Like

I haven’t watched it, but on mydramalist.com it has an average score of 7.6. I usually go there to see the ratings of a show because they are more reliable than Viki’s ratings.

https://mydramalist.com/search?q=homemade+love+story

4 Likes

thanks so much!!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

No problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

seem s like a problem in reviews & ratings.

I do my best to watch the drama first before I put my “3 cents worth” in. from my favorite actor/actress, but what about the drama itself, how do I rate it. I like the story, I like the way they played their parts, and so on, even the ending comes to that too.

I think I have only done one bad review since I have been on Viki. and I think it was a bad ending

I do give credit to the writers too, the directors and all. review the dramas correctly is the right way

2 Likes

Well… Isn’t it so nice how two dramas which aren’t released yet have contrasting ratings?

One had a 4 star rating, although now counter acted by some viewers who gave the drama 10 and brought the overall rating to 7. The reason for the low rating?
I can’t understand Portuguese but have this phrase learnt by heart, the user asked for Portuguese subs.

The other on has got an Oppa in it and has a remarkable 9.9 rating by 500+ viewers who haven’t watched the show. And what’s so remarkable in this? There are hardly any whiners for the drama.

6 Likes

Sometimes I give ten stars after just 1-2 episodes for exactly that reason: To balance ratings.

I mostly rate the plots/the idea and the realization and hate when people are misled. It could be that I’ll be a little disappointed with only three more episodes to go. But meanwhile there are a lot of ratings.

2 Likes

But isn’t exactly that the problem? We write here, in the ratings and comments in English (me with my poor knowledge from school) and min. half of the audience is left out?

1 Like

Could you elaborate that a little more I didn’t get what you are talking about. :sweat:

1 Like

I was only referring to the low ratings, not the high ones, and to this phrase. Do such opinions reach not English speaking viewers?
The particularly high before airing are a case in themselves, but maybe you’ve already discusse that her.

I am sorry if I caused any misunderstandings.

2 Likes