List of shows that are different on Viki

have you thought there may be a reason behind that, note when they wear tee shirts with a logo, they are blurred out, and different stores, companies, some sort of rights come to play, even the actors, that may be it too.

2 Likes

It is true that videos are often changed after we originally viewed them at viki. However, I think the basic premise of most of the commenters is wrong as to WHO made the changes.
Many of the commenters believe viki staff are the ones doing the cutting when it is the production company which is doing the cutting and there must be some malicious intent when I believe there is no malice intended by the viki staff. As a volunteer team member on many Kdrama at viki, I do receive occasional courtesy notices from the staff about whomever owns the rights to the video (production company/ network) cutting out scenes, or cutting out and replacing scenes, or even adding scenes to the video days, weeks, months and sometimes years after we worked on the episode and notification that the the video was replaced. I think the fastest change notice I received was a few days after original broadcast. Sometime there is an introduction to each episode of a series which is added midway or even after broadcasting of the whole series. Sometimes an introduction is removed after the series was completed. Sometimes there is a ā€œdirectorā€™s cutā€ which is a longer version than was earlier broadcast with added scenes not previously shown on viki. For Legend of the Blue Sea, you can see on viki either the original first two episodes or the directorā€™s cut of the first two episodes. For Full House, the viki version is the Directorā€™s Cut, and not what was broadcast when the series was on air.
When there are deletions, Viki staff give us time to look at the deleted subtitles and to decide whether to keep them on the server or to delete the subs from deleted scenes.
Viki staff do their best to preserve our subtitles in all languages for the cut out scenes because sometimes the production company adds a cut out scene back to the episode or the volunteer staff wants to keep them. They are stored at the end of the subtitles. Viewers canā€™t see them but team members who look in bulk translate can see them.
Sometimes due to public response, or because of the objection of a regulatory agency, a scene which is considered non-politically correct is cut out and reshot and another scene replaces it. Often there are copyright issues, especially when the music was not specifically written for the drama so an OST song is put in the background to replace the song which was originally there.
For those of you who think that the viki tech staff has the time and the motivation to censor the thousands of drama available at viki, could you please consider what benefit would there be to viki, the company, to censor any video which viki paid money to upload and to do that censoring before viewers see the video or days, weeks, months or years after broadcast.
Consider this ā€“ after the volunteer team has completed subtitling in up to 30 languages, the production company decides to snip out a total of 5 minutes from an original episode in various parts of the video. Someone on the viki tech staff has to remove our subtitles and to make sure the subtitles will be synced to the new version of the video. Why would viki staff want to spend time doing that to cause anguish to viewers who loved a particular scene which was removed?
As to subtitles which are different between viki and other sites, for the K dramas which I have worked on, the viki subtitles are more complete and accurate than the subtitles on other sites. Of course our subtitles are different. Our subtitlers are told explicitly not to copy subtitles from other sites. Some of the subs I see on other sites are sometimes completely wrong or leave out key phrases from the original Korean. I think some sites save money by not having an editor who is fluent in English to review the English subtitles.

11 Likes

I appreciate your comments. I stayed and renewed my subscription with Viki and when I rewatch Weightlifting Fairy, I watch it here and elsewhere too because I do love the recap images, song and preview. As far as I can tell itā€™s only Weightlifting Fairy that was shortened. I was reaching out in the discussion board trying to figure it out as to why that happenedā€“weighing in the pros and cons because I am paying for a subscription,but itā€™s fine now.
As far as other sites like some that was mentioned, I think the subs here are done very well and they include many songs subs too, and I love how they provide cultural clarity with idioms or homophones.

4 Likes

@ccwilgar_586 I verified that Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Jo Episode 8 was originally about 50 seconds longer than what is seen by viewers now. The viki staff have saved our subs for those last 50 seconds. Vikiā€™s epiosde 8 is the same length as the pirate sites.
And why even though we are supposed to be seeing the videos in HD, itā€™s not as good as the VIU siteā€™s resolution for Sweet Munchies is a puzzle to me. I do understand that at the time of upload, viki uploads many different video formats for different platforms and different regions of the world. I assume during the time gap between the broadcast in Seoul and upload on viki the video is being converted to multiple formats. This is why upload in South America occurs before North American and both occur before upload in Europe. The difference in upload times may be several minutes to several hours.

3 Likes

good call ccwilgar!!

1 Like

Thank you for verifying. I appreciate your comments and your explanation. About 2 months ago, at some point when I noticed the shortening of the episode, I just thought perhaps the new interface of Viki had a glitch but the upload time for different countries and regions makes a lot of sense.

Again thank you!

2 Likes

I just want to clarify that I keep this list to keep track of the changes. Feel free to post about other changes.
I understand Viki does not have any control over the video source due to licenses. This list is intended for people like me who at least want to know beforehand if there are significant changes done to the show. I first started taken notice of these changes when I was watching an episode where I kept feeling like Iā€™m missing out on something. After some research my hunch was confirmed and throughout the show we were sadly unable to hear one character sing even though she played a singer. While I understand copyright regulations, I appreciate knowing those things. Then I can go to YT and the official channel and watch the singing clip I was missing outā€¦
Also some changes feel strange since nothing bad is actually censored (Sweet Munchies) but only faces. Sometimes I do wonder what the agreement is with JTBC.

3 Likes

In ā€œWhile You Were Sleepingā€, the female lead was singing in her bathroom a popular song by some group. That was cut because of copyright issues.
In ā€œIā€™ll Come To You When The Weather is Niceā€ there was a book club, and they used to read - among other things - poems by a certain poet. There were many instances when the camera went from showing the character reciting the poem in the book club to the character continuing to recite in voice-over, while we were shown other stuff, mainly scenes from the past of the main leads. On Viki ALL those voice-overs were cut, and we saw the past scenes without any sound, or a generic background music. Which made them very boring. Because these scenes were intimately linked to the poem, which now threw light on the charactersā€™ motivations and inner feelings.
(I know how it was supposed to be because I watched the episodes on a pirate site before coming to edit on Viki).
I wondered, did the producers decide to use those poems without first getting permission by the poet and his editor? Or what?

4 Likes

In ā€˜Go Back Coupleā€™ they play a song from Descendants of the Sun but itā€™s censoredā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning Iā€™ll Come To You When The Weather is Nice. I really liked this show and was watching it on Viki and didnā€™t know about the changes.
Itā€™s kind of confusing to see that some content providers censor their stuff on Viki, but only Viki. On their official YouTube channel it seems to be not an issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA2H7ctmqdg Even though YouTube has a bigger reach.
Maybe itā€™s the English translation itself that is copyrighted by some foreign publisher and therefore a problem. Who knows. I just checked one episode and it does feel awfully empty without the poem and the scene lost itā€™s charm.

2 Likes

You mean the English translation rights, not the copyright, is that correct? Because we wouldnā€™t use anyone elseā€™s English translation, weā€™d be making one of our own here.

3 Likes

Love With Flaws music is different form other sites, whatā€™s interesting is that the subtitles are the right ones, so I knew I was missing out ā€œAll by myselfā€ or ā€œDespacitoā€ in the first episode alone.

1 Like

Answer from Viki: https://support.viki.com/hc/es/community/posts/360041638353

A music license is usually granted for a limited time. Itā€™s a shame because some scenes lose their meaning and / or their beauty without the original music. But this is how the music industry works. :frowning:

4 Likes

Many months later, they put these voice-overs back (not all, though!) We were alerted by Viki staff that we had to go back to segment and translate extra content.

2 Likes

Oh this was helpful. While watching the Undateables, I saw a lot of TCs going ā€œOh my, Bruno Mars!!ā€ or ā€œColdplay!!ā€ and Iā€™d sit there wondering if certain viewers hear a different soundtrack from the Korean cutie song I was hearing. :joy:

2 Likes

Radio Romance has some music changes - no longer in it a song by Adele and near the end a song by Hugh Grant, and there seams to be more blurring stuff.

2 Likes

Absolutely does. I am the U.S. also and we know we take copyright issues serious here. Especially since it is the hardwork of the individual who made the music to begin with.

I would be happy that they are playing the show and episodes at least and only changing the music when needed. I remember hulu bringing on 90210 a couple years ago and they completely omitted certain episodes entirely because of copyright agreements or the lack thereof for that matter.

2 Likes

I just finished watching episode 8 of season 1 of Dr. Romantic and they cut out the ā€œHey Judeā€ part. I didnā€™t even know they were playing this song and kept seeing in the timed comments ā€œI love this songā€ and I was confused by what they meant so I looked it up on youtube and I found a 5 minute clip that was taken out of this episode.
I donā€™t know how to attach a video since this is my first time posting on here but hereā€™s a link.

5 Likes

ģ•„ė¹ ! Silences everyone, including that very poor audio of Hey Jude! It was like a relief from everyone being held hostage.

1 Like

@zul134340

Pretty soon that song will be put back in since SK and USA made an agreement. Viki volunteers will have to make the adjustments in the segs and subs too. Hereā€™s the link

1 Like