List of shows that are different on Viki

Hello :slight_smile:
Since I encountered yet another case where the Viki version is different from the broadcasted version, I thought about making a list of affected shows. When I start watching a show, I like to know if Iā€™m watching the original or some censored version. So Iā€™m often a bit angry, when I realize Iā€™m missing out on stuff by watching on Viki. Especially when the scenes have some significance for the story line.
Feel free to add the shows, where you noticed it as well.

Chicago Typewriter | TVN
Go Back Couple | KBS
Heartstrings | MBC - Changed music, even when characters are singing
Her Private Life | TVN - Changed music, when own music of one character is playing
My ID is Gangnam Beauty | JTBC
Radiant | JTBC - Changed music, when character is singing
Strong Woman Do Bong Soon | JTBC
The Undateables | SBS
Welcome to Waikiki 2 | JTBC - Changed music, where the original music added meaning to a scene

If anything has changed and is not censored anymore, please tell me and I will change the list.
Some of the items on the list are from these topics:

6 Likes

Quite a few, sadly :confused: Hopefully, the list will end with just these.

1 Like

Heartstrings has so many songs that have been changed out. Naturally, itā€™s full of songs but they replaced every one that isnā€™t in the OST by ones that are. I was a little understanding when it was background music. But it isnā€™t just that. Itā€™s also the characters singing live removed to put unrelated OST just because it wasnā€™t originally theirs.
Strangely enough though, the subs were made according to the original version. So I was watching with subs that are not translations of the songs I am hearing, but of the song I am supposed to imagine while watching.

4 Likes

I added it to the list.
I also noticed through the timed comments that some shows on Viki were normal at first and only later they changed the music. I canā€™t understand this decision for older shows. For many years there was no problem at all and now they are changing the songs?

1 Like

Could it have something to do with the copyrights of the music. I remember watching each of the dramas you mentioned when they were first released (Iā€™m in the USA) and each had the original OST.

I remember at our church our music pastor had to write asking for permission for use songs/hymns that were not public domain and the permission was given for limited period of time.

7 Likes

I have heard that too.

I really think they do that so they donā€™t have to continue paying the author of the song (OST), for having it in the drama, when viewers are watching the drama. They love to cut cost even if it affects the drama in the process.

The Church is a good example. The pastor got permission for a period of time only but I know he would have to pay lots of $$$$ if he wanted to keep using/singing the hymn in the Church. In my opinion, itā€™s only fair to the author of the song, to get paid for others using it.

Itā€™s like those shows ā€˜ā€˜rerunsā€™ā€™ in USA. Even if the actress/actor passed away, money has to be paid to their familyā€™s heirs, and we talking ā€˜ā€˜big bucksā€™ā€™ bc after all, they are getting big profits from running those old episodes that play year after years. Example: THE NANNY with Fran Drescher. Today in the afternoon Iā€™ll be watching those reruns from the Nanny bc they are that good. If the actress/actor doesnā€™t get paid all the benefit goes to someone else and not the funny actress that made that show a hit.

3 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m aware of the possible reasons for the changed music. This list is more for people who have a similar opinion like me :slight_smile:
I still would like to know before watching a show if the version has been altered. It is especially frustrating if itā€™s actual characters singing the songs and then Viki is just playing some jazz music on top of it.

1 Like

I just finished Her Private Life and searched some songs on YouTube and found this scene that I canā€™t remember seeing. Does anyone know which episode it is? So I can know if I just have bad memory or if the scene was completely cut from the Viki version.

Edit: I searched for it myself and this scene is supposed to be in Ep 12 around min 18, but it is completely cut out of the version on Viki. A whole scene that lasts over 2 mins got removed and not only the music part but also the part that highlights the struggle between the husband and wife :frowning: The timed comments also show that the scene originally was one Viki and later cut. I feel it would be nice if Viki could add some notice in front of a video if they had to change stuff.

3 Likes

You are right. I just checked and I did not see that scene either.

2 Likes

My youngest daughter who worked as a Production Assistant in films said to me that some American scenes are cut off because in the reviews they donā€™t get positive feedback from the ā€˜ā€˜expertsā€™ā€™ meaning editors. But in the case of k-dramas she has no idea why they would cut a scene bc their work is totally different.

3 Likes

now another one I gotta watch again. I thought that was a good one.

1 Like

It seems like this is happening recently to many dramas that were fine originally. Here are more that I noticed when rewatching dramas:
Another Oh Hae Young - missing scene and original music replaced with music that doesnā€™t make sense, character singing muted (ep. 15 and 18)
Hwayugi - Character singing cut out (ep. 4, Iā€™m only on this episode so far, who knows if there will be more!)

This is such a rip off for people paying for viki pass!

4 Likes

I found other shows that are affected by some kind of censorship and again they are from JTBC. But I donā€™t understand the censorship at all, since other streaming sites have no issue and on Viki they blurred faces.
Comparison:
Sweet Munchies Ep1:
Screenshot%20(208)
Screenshot%20(210)
Melo is my Nature Ep1:
Screenshot%20(209) Screenshot%20(215)

In the first case (Sweet Munchies) it doesnā€™t affect the story, but I still donā€™t understand why the version on Viki is blurring the faces of the actors.
In the second case (Melo is My Nature) the image is referenced in the following conversation, so the viewer on Viki will be confused and left out on what actually is happening.

5 Likes

intertesting!

1 Like

what was cut from Strong Woman??!

I linked another discussion and there it was pointed out that some music changed.

In Weightlifting Fairy they cut out the closing songs and stopped previewing upcoming episodes.Now it just fades out into the next episode until you have the small image and the countdown timer, like in the image 46%20AM
Iā€™m thinking of not renewing my subscription because I went to another site and rewatched it there and they had the full episodes, no commercials for free. This is upsetting especially when I reported how the bubble chat comment I made just disappeared and only to get an email reply of instructions that was unrelated.Made me feel unappreciatedšŸ˜©
Edit: Let me add that what I love about Viki and it is there learning mode and the bubble chat feature tbh. I guess I was weighing the pros and cons. Viki is still awesome though but please put back the full episodes with the closing songs.:pray:t2:

3 Likes

which site?

3 Likes

here also is something to consider, I also have gone to different sites, including YT,Netflix, Prime, their subs donā€™t match, if you get a chance just compare one drama that is on yt or the others with one that is here and you will understand what I am saying. a word ā€œHoity toityā€ wouldnā€™t be know way back when, and many other things too.

I do get a bit upset also w viki, BUT they do good on the subs, yeah maybe sometimes slow, but still they do good on the subs.

as for other things you mentioned, wish there was a better way to put the songs on that wouldnā€™t disturb me watching something, and to me that countdown is a good thing. I do love to hear the songs, wish they could be subbed too. sure I have considered leaving Viki, I go to another site and that changes my thinking. so before you make that decision just think about it, do research even.

2 Likes