Machine translation from Viki

There is another app that has boot-translations and I dropped so fast cause NOTHING makes sense! If Viki wants to do this then they would be loosing a lot of good people, myself included. Do not forget Viki that you are not the sole platform for Kdramas anymore, DF might not exist anymore, but there are others taking over.

Not only is Viki being disrespectful to those who work hard to translate, edit and PROMOTE each drama that this website has, but also to its costumers. This is not bout money, it is about respect and this app is losing mine faster this year alone.

I hope for a prompt respond from them soon, and solutions are bring to the table cause this is so ridiculous!

2 Likes

You also need to mention what the viewer can do to help us.
You need to invite them to help such as inviting them to read this discussion or something like that.
I am no professional so I don’t know what exactly would be effective.
But as a viewer I feel that you need to make them know that this is not the end of viki because that’s what I felt when I first read it. And that their help is necessary for us and our subtitles to be back.

3 Likes

I have a question: Volunteers cost Viki nothing and, if they had access to more dramas and were exempt from idiotic region restrictions, Viki would get even more decent subtitles* for nothing, fast enough and good enough.

So, since Rakuten

• is all about the fast cash
  • they are opting for ineffective bots over effective volunteers
  • obviously don’t care and never cared about viewers, just grab the subscription and run if they could

are the bots even more cost-effective than literally-cost-nothing volunteers? :thinking:

*inb4, let’s not get into difference in quality between volunteers.

4 Likes

Agree, we’re all free to decide to participate in this strike or no.

I feel sorry for viewers, but if we don’t react and let it slide now, I don’t know what to expect next time, it might be too late to do anything later (and reverse the situation). We will only regret.
We can’t accept this and let Viki do as if we didn’t exist.

I’ve picked to go on strike because it is more important to save our community, our dignity and our respect.

It’s the best opportunity to talk, to make things better and for everyone to express what Viki can do for us, if I got to go on strike to have a chance to be listened to and make things better, then be it.

We feel like you’re attacking our community of volunteers and consider we’re only good to correct a bot because according to someone’s standards, we were not enough fast or active.
(whose standards? Viki or viewers? Were they there?)

And what about Viki being active or fast for our tickets, our reports or when we needed your help?
Or when we had to fix Viki’s mess, when V let inactive members and still pick them as CM or moderators, when Viki segmented without following our segmentation course (whereas volunteers spent months to follow this course to be able to segment), when we asked for designated channels everywhere but it’s not the case and we had to fix, wasn’t it the source of our “slowness”?

8 Likes

I am with you, guys. I’m the only one Polish translator working currently on Sketch, and I think I’m going to get a break from translating for now. I made a new avatar for myself, anyone who wants to use it, feel free to do so. Fighting!
vikibot1 vikibot2 vikibot3

9 Likes

That was back then https://discussions.viki.com/t/any-veterans-of-the-flower-power-revolution/15640/4
It was pretty simple, no strike but not against it, (so to say if Viki wouldn’t have reacted we would have gone on a strike, but we didn’t want to disappoint the viewers and it was not in our interest, only a last possible measure) we were setting Viki a deadline. We showed our unity in becoming flowers with our avatar we would put flower banners on the channels of the teams that were all for it and brought up the topics that were no longer acceptable.
But you have to consider back then there might have been about 10 channels on air, no more. We used other social networks to organize since here (Hello, Viki!) everyone can read and prepare countermeasures, if you want to set up a strike Viki could just go with the bot anyway and excuse it with “unfriendly” contributors. Back then the volunteers uploaded the videos … So we could have even not upload the videos, but we didn’t because the backlog in translation is in nobodies interest.
Viki could just use the guidelines against you, they would be ill-advised to do so but it is a possibility.
I don’t agree with a complete strike, but I have to add that I am not active as a subber at the moment.
I am okay with no edits for bot translation.

2 Likes

Off topic - Anyone got logged/kicked out of Viki?
I can’t sign back in at the moment, discussion seems to work though …

7 Likes

Me too. I keep getting logged out and then I can log back in but then later get logged out again. Something is not working.
Currently what’s working well for me is the discussions and the community/ help center place
The main site is logging me in and out…

5 Likes

This is gravely disappointing. I’m not a translator, but I will not be renewing my subscription as long as Viki treats its valued volunteers like shit. Maybe instead of bots, stop exploiting your volunteers just because you don’t want to pay for a service you know is crucial for your site to keep operating (having subtitles). Scummy and shady. Volunteers- Fighting!! I have your back 100%.

6 Likes

Same! but it seems to be only for the PC, I was able to sign in my iPad. This seems suspicious, but since my iPad one is working idk

1 Like

Same for me. I can’t sign back. I even tried with my phone, but nothing’s working apart from here.

2 Likes

See what happens if a strike is mention - and the blame goes to …

Giving it another … LOL usually it takes a lot longer for a reply at least for bigger problems

8 Likes

I am back again

and out again …

I am back again, but my inbox and notifications are wiped out??—and back again…I think there is a bug ugh

I’m still not back but earlier I had bugs with my badges and contributions’ display.

1 Like

Yes! Once I suddenly found myself without any contributions… and another with no badges, and a third with no projects…:confused:

2 Likes

I refresh the page and it reappears but really… :confused:

I signed the petition in the google spreadsheet file but my name was removed.

2 Likes

Your inbox will recover at least it usually does.

I have 2,5 hrs of a drama left to watch it’s almost 11pm, since last night Viki robbed me off some hours of sleep. I guess I will not be able to complete it today. It’s good night for me and hopefully the bug is wrapped up by tomorrow.
:sleeping: