Machine translation from Viki

No problem. Well I don’t know why either. I’m trying to see with the one who created this google sheets if we can’t protect the lines already written.

1 Like

Very interesting ! I’d like to know which users were contacted to answer to the survey… Never seen it.

2 Likes

Are those platforms open for volunteers? If so, would you mind posting them here or DMing me?

Maybe they want to compare its learning ability, as well. I have no idea how bots and programming works, but I guess it’s different to compare and to adjust as it goes.

This might not be a nice thing to say, but I’m afraid a decent percentage of Viki subscribers, as in real life for several matters, will see the bot as a f… y… to the volunteers who were so inconsiderate of the poor, poor fans that wanted subs NOW. They will have a vague idea of what is going on, drool over oppa and sincerely answer “Yes” if asked whether they watched the drama.

If someone can’t recognize quality, how can we expect them to appreciate it?

6 Likes

Hi everyone!
I just signed the petition in the google spreadsheet file. I’m with you all.

Why Viki had to choose French to start with the machine translations?
I’m sure Viki already knows that the French community is just as big as the Spanish one.
You made a BIG mistake this time, you better fix it promptly.

Hope our voices are heard soon before chaos starts…
Let’s not forget that volunteering is for the fans and by the fans!
Fighting everyone!

VIKI, DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS MESS!

8 Likes

URGENT. URGENT ! We must tell the viewers what’s going on. The comments are very angry on the shows on air like “Moment of eighteen”…

I disagree. We are not delivering babies, I don’t have to die to be excused of subbing.

As a more general note, I really, really disagree with volunteers who take Viki too seriously. I respect someone’s decision to make volunteering for viki a top priority, and I take volunteering seriously, but seeing people saying their health took a toll because of too much dedication to subbing, or turning on other volunteers because they “caused” this by being too slow/ not dedicated enough etc, doesn’t sound right.

It pains me to say it, but Viki disrespected all this work, all our efforts, and I feel our community, as it turns out, amounts to nothing.

5 Likes
  • I don’t know if putting flowers will work because Viki is not the same than it was a while back or the Viki you knew… If only… I want to believe.

• The past few years, we talked with Viki, we continued to post, we filled tickets, we did a lot to communicate with them.
    But what have we got if we had to sum it up?
    This? A bot to replace us? Stickers?
    Why? Do they respect us and our work?
    How are we supposed to react?

• I don’t know if just talking will make them take our requests seriously.
    Even in my real life, I’ve gone on strike only once to save my working line, and even so, we still respected our clients and continued our job… What happened? The law was still approved, because we continued to work diligently… We got nothing.
    On the contrary, the yellow vests got something, yes, they went on strike for weeks, yes, they mobilized a lot of people, yeah, they broke things, yeah, we didn’t have trains last week and everyone dislikes it. Yes, we took many hours to come back home.
    And most of the time, in our world, this is the only solution we found to be listened in this capitalistic world or in front of politicians who will decide for us about our future leaving you with 0 choice. We do this to protect ourselves, our rights and defend ourselves, because they don’t listen to talks first.
    So I don’t want to do the same mistake this time.

• Passion, love and dedication:

I love my teams, I love all the efforts they put in dramas, stopping a channel is like not taking care of our baby that we make it grow together. I want viewers to discover the drama like we discovered it, I want to share it, I want them to enjoy it, but I don’t want to run after a bot.
These teams who got their work stopped, how do they feel?

We’ve just finished a channel today. I still sent the releasing PM while letting the choice to people not to sub it or to sub it.
I couldn’t as a CM take these final episodes in hostage although I’m on strike…
I know all the hard work we had to go through, we waited for a long time for this end, it was not pink every day, some of us put all-nighters, I felt demotivated at times… It’s months of work and today was the final line.
When I received Viki message the day before, I was reviewing the final episodes.
Anna sent me a message after Viki messages. I felt the need to voice call her.
We talked until 3 am, I had work and I was still reviewing the final episodes even after learning these bad news.

I couldn’t stop like that, because only the team knows how much pain we had to finish it. It’s our baby. Many people in the team and I gave a lot of themselves to this project, some mods subbed it themselves, corrected changes on past episodes.
After everything that happened, how could anyone do this to them?
I just couldn’t.
If you have ever felt happiness when finishing a long project that you built from 0 with a team and finished it… then it’s this feeling I couldn’t deprive them of.

Imagine I tell the team I’m going to ask for Viki bot to finish their translations, they will kill me.
Not only because of the quality, but because it is their baby. They put some of them into it.
I can’t decide this and I would be crazy to decide this.

These are the limits I can’t cross because I have the utmost respect for these teammates and editors that I bothered I know because I could be maniac at times, but they don’t know how much I appreciate everything they did and when each time, I say thank you, it’s a sincere thank you.
They deserve all the thanks.

Among all these teams, there are teams who were active:
I can’t imagine what other French teams feel when they gave their all to a project but suddenly it is stopped or destroyed by bot translations and they can’t even finish it because they are on strike to defend their work, their baby, their place on Viki as a volunteer.
I think if they did that to one of my babies, I would have reacted like Anna. They don’t understand how much of us we put into it. It’s crazy.

How can anyone else decide if they can continue subbing or not?
How can anyone else decide to call a bot?
They didn’t follow this drama from 0, they didn’t raise it with us, how can they understand?

In the end, I think these teams also feel hurt not being able to continue subbing their dramas.
It is really hard to keep a team as a whole and finish it with the remaining members of the team, but you know that with these remaining members, there’s a special link or some trust that has been built, you don’t see them the same way as before, because you lived and experienced something together.

The remaining subbers who got this message are the ones who stayed with you… active subbers.

How much are they hurt by Viki’s decision?
I am angry at V because they didn’t think about them, they don’t even imagine all the work it asks to be there from the beginning, to keep going and to finish it together.

How would you react if Viki put bot translations on dramas you’re currently subbing?

6 Likes

I think we do need to explain viewers because timed comments and discussion cover comments too are going crazy, if we want a change they have to know and may help us and join us too.

edit: but we have to explain them also how do we work, because most don’t know. they think subs are uploaded.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly…

I ALWAYS feel we care more than Viki. Viki’s standard is a solid C, we aim for A.

4 Likes

If someone want to explain, please one of you, write a message with explanation for people. We will use one message and spread the word to them. Who wants to do it?

Explain how we works. What viki did, why we take actions and tells them we need their help too.

Maybe not a too long message for translating it into many languages?

I think that’s what Viki wants. Volunteers’ ethic will make them say “I’ll just finish this, so it’s not left on 80%”, then “I’ll help here because the CM is a good person and will drown in responsibility” etc. And we will be left once again with caring more about Viki than Viki itself.

Going on strike is a very difficult decision, because it is against our natural instinct to do a good job. It is a very personal decision, and a hard one, and that makes it a strong message.

1 Like

I have an already explanation of how do we work translated into english, Portuguese and Spanish but is long, I can send that part as a PM to you and other person can explain very simply and clearly so all people understand the current situation then we can send it to all fans in channels.

Edit I mean someone can gather both stuff and we do make one same PM

I really don’t think this should be our priority. It’s us against Viki, let’s not make it a civil war.

4 Likes

One of those platforms is YouTube. You start off with automatic segments, which tend to be choppy and too many. And you have the option to delete all of the segments all at once.

First, welcome back :blush: I’m happy to read you here again.

HA! I signed it, too, and then my sub contributions and the second sentence in my comment were modified and removed.

Basic culture says you don’t ever, EVER modify what someone wrote. Even if it’s easy. Even if you’re so tempted. Even if you know you can’t get caught. And the rule is even more important if you partially disagree with that person.

Let’s keep it civil, folks! :nerd_face:

And this might be what I missed the most! :laughing:

2 Likes

Come in private message, we will do one message for fans together. We will keep it for now and saw…

1 Like

Okay, I will send my part then, when we have the whole thing we can post it here or in google sheets or something so we all can read it first.

We should explain to the viewers cause it’s their rights to know what’s going on. If fans going crazy, they will not watch drama or end their subscription but no ads= less money for viki, ending subscription= less money for viki. So this is just a preview of what will happen if they decide to not listen to us. I don’t think Viki want that, right ? machiavelic smile

4 Likes