Machine translation from Viki

This is gold :rofl:

No, they have the freedom to do so.

The right to do something is a different thing.

1 Like

There is, of course, someone ā€œaboveā€ :slight_smile: Thatā€™s why I used the word ā€œpartialā€ in ā€œpartial self-governingā€. The ultimate vision still comes from the top, as well as a ā€œpolice squadā€ in case two users just canā€™t get along or there is a problem on the project. But the police only responds after you report something.

My practical experience with Viki Police is a solid C. If itā€™s something minor, such as adding me to the team when the CM is absent (or absent-minded), then there is no problem. However, inter-user conflicts are not their forte. Sanctions for stealing other peopleā€™s subs or using Google Translate are a joke.

Yes, some CMs are not doing the job well enough. They are human, after all. But thatā€™s where the words like ā€œteamā€ and ā€œcommunityā€ need to fully shine. If one has a personal problem with a CM, they can report her to the Viki Police. However, if itā€™s a project that is suffering, then the team (by team I donā€™t mean just the English team) must collectively discuss the problem and find a good solution. If one canā€™t be found, talk to Viki Police.

Have you had situations where the situation was really bad? How did you get through it?

Lol! :smile:

Welcome back, dear. Iā€™m happy you have returned, if only the reason were a more positive one.

This is an extremely important point, folks. No matter how angry you are with one another, you shouldnā€™t publish private messages which you didnā€™t write yourself. It severely violates Vikiā€™s Community Policy.

4 Likes

True itā€™s also against Vikiā€™s guidelines, thatā€™s why I flagged it.

1 Like

Me, too. Had to. Didnā€™t even want to read it.

It just seems like it would be easier if the subtitles were done properly the first time, by whomever they were done by. If the bot translated properly, that would be a great thing. But it canā€™t even do that. Itā€™s extra work and less smooth of an operation to have to fix and explain all of the errors, among other things.

But you have the right to think how you want to on it. : )

2 Likes

Could the mother of this idea put her name on the sheet?

ā€œWe seggers sometimes have to cut sentences in more segments due limitation of characters per segment and reading. So then you have to listen to 3 segments to to go from BCA to ABC if you know what I mean. How is a machine which most likely subs per segment is able to do that?ā€

That was me :slight_smile: Didnā€™t know that was added and I saw some other stuff of mine was added (when a bot ruined my segs but no idea which drama that was again). I added my name now.

1 Like

Back on track: did anybody receive anything resembling a reaction from Viki? Itā€™s office hours, so I wonder if they reacted and how. I havenā€™t seen an official post/ thread on the subject.

3 Likes

I was looking on Twitter in the replies to a tweet by Viki about the show Flower Crew Joseon Marriage Agency and people are complaining about A. the subtitles not being released fast enough and B. the fact that the subbing team is apparently on strike.

There are also many, many complaints in the comments for the show. I think a few of you maybe work on the team of it so you might already know.

ah nevermind i just read a comment from one of the members saying that the team is not on strike. Iā€™m guessing there was a problem in staffing for the team or something lol
I just noticed that some people were using the strike to that as a blaming for the subs being slow.

https://www.viki.com/tv/36679c-flower-crew-joseon-marriage-agency#comment-4625614353
I think there is a management issue going on at Flower Crew

Fighting to the Team!

4 Likes

Flower Crew isnā€™t on strike but there are some other issues which I shall not mention here. I hope those issues are solved soon.

3 Likes

Yeah. A few people had just commented saying that the strike was the reason that the subtitles were slow.

Wishing them the best of luck!! : ) Jiayou ~

Thanks! The CM didnā€™t even tell us. I had to read the news in this thread first. Hopefully Viki learns from this, as in doing better research into who to give the job. I know many others, including myself, applied for CM too.

9 Likes

This was written by @dudie in this thread. When I copy-pasted this post into irmarā€™s sheet, I put her name there. What seems to be the issue here exactly?

Update: I see somebody deleted her name.

Iā€™ll repeat once again: Please do not delete what other people wrote. Even if you donā€™t agree with it, even if itā€™s easy, even if you know you wonā€™t get caught. Letā€™s respect each otherā€™s efforts :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I think somehow we have to add another rule to be a CM. I wish viki could add it (but oh well). And that is. that you are obligated to leave someone else in charge in absence more than a week in any type of not finished channel. As the members of the same team in a drama I think we have to be more aware of how is working, so the burden of it doesnā€™t follow in the CM only. But you are totally right Dudie I donā€™t know how they actually choose the CMs, I think they choose per application # and in the order of the application rather than who is applying?

2 Likes

@cgwm808

Since you want to go there let me say to you respectfully: that MY concern at this moment are the English and MAINLY the Spanish subtitles, and since I donā€™t know French and canā€™t read/understand whatā€™s wrong in them, let the French teams deal with whatever issues they have right now.

When I time and time again, mentioned the many errors the bot Spanish translation had, no one cared but I care bc Spanish is my first /native language, and Iā€™m sick and tired of seeing this ridiculous subs in Spanish bc the English ones were done incorrectly. You didnā€™t do the translations in this dramas, right? Just the editing, right?

Just go and check and see if vikibot felt it needed to fill out some subs, and those were the ones I mentioned before. I even added one of the many subtitles in a thread that (I even have screenshot of the whole sentence that was all of it, from Google translate).

If you choose to take offense because you worked in that drama, itā€™s on you. I never mention names I only point out the subtitle minute 23:08 Episode 14. You probably didnā€™t edit that sentence bc it sounded right to you but it didnā€™t sound right to me, and I know a few more will agree with me not bc Iā€™m part of their team bc you give to Cesar what belongs to Cesar. I know you will have your team backing you up and making me look like the bad one when all Iā€™m doing is giving my opinion (and Iā€™m not the only one who felt HTL was off in some subs translation, so we assumed is bc of the bot. We highly doubted a volunteer did those subtitle.

I have the right to my opinion, and the Spanish subtitle I point it out in there, was the most ridiculous subtitle I have ever read here on RakutenViki, and the sub to blame was the one in English. Everything was wrong in that sentence the words used, the unnecessary contraction added there, the past present tense etcā€¦etcā€¦Not forgetting that was taken 100% from the Google translate.

I have no intention to argue bc I canā€™t get into the drama, and see for myself what went wrong in there. I have NOTHING against you, you have been here for many years in so many dramas so you have to be doing your job right when you are the main editor for most of the on air dramas and others (even chinese dramas). I will not apologize bc my accusation was geared to the bot, never to you.

1 Like