Moderator Applications

Whoever worked as a moderator before probably sent an application to the Channel Manager. After being Channel Manager a few times and sending countless applications over the years as a moderator… I keep wondering how important applications are to you, your language community etc. While I get amazing applications for certain genres or from certain language communities, others just send me two sentences. Certainly, this might not be that important if there’s no competition or if it’s just an old project, but as my own language community often seems to put lots of efforts into this, I always feel a bit sad about some things. I understand that not every project is as important or interesting, but if you get messages hinting they just want to keep the QC or there’s failed copy and paste involved… I sort of feel bad. :no_mouth:

Then there’s the content. I love to know why people want to work on something, why and if they are passionate about the drama, the actors, the culture, the language, the genre… whatever. Certainly, it’s great to know how they plan on translating, how they work or what’s their goal, but I am a bit sad if there’s no motivation provided at all. :melting_face:

Sometimes, I receive long lists of completed dramas, that’s great, but I would feel the same if you just wrote about completing 30 dramas (or it can be listed on the About page).

Of course, applications are not the only criteria in selecting moderators. But still, what do you think about applications? How important are they? How do you consider them? How is it a topic in your language community?

11 Likes

Rather than a list of dramas (which, as you rightly said, can be found from the profile page), for me it’s important to know how many ongoing projects the person has, with details:
are there some projects which take up a slot but in reality are stalled because of the English team?
are there some which are still unfinished because the episodes haven’t been released yet (so it’s not the moderator’s fault)?
are there some that will come in a few days or in a couple of weeks?
Then, other technical details:
does the moderator have a sufficient team or is s/he going to translate solo, or with just a couple of other people? Will there be a separate editor or will the moderator edit? (this is only important if the person has many other projects)
What is the time available and what is the realistic expected completion date -including editing? One or two weeks after the release of the last episode? One month?
Then, specific skills. Is it a legal drama and the moderator is a lawyer, or has a lawyer in the team? Or a nurse or doctor if it’s a medical drama? If it’s a historical one, then in that case I appreciate the mention of some other sageuks the person has finished.

There are some other factors that count for me, such as badmouthing specific other moderators of that language.

These things matter much more to me than “I like the male lead, that’s why I want to do it”.

5 Likes

This was a thing in the past, nowadays most dramas release after QC. :woman_shrugging: I often read stuff like “I have some slots left”, but this can range between 1 and 4 open slots, which is a huge difference.

When I submit an application, I try to include stuff like

• Why I am interested
  • Why I might be a good candidate (studies related to the language, genre experience, whatever)
  • current projects
  • general goal / approach

Unless I am asked to evaluate someone I consider it bad behavior to complain about the choice or try to patronize the CM by telling them how to select. Still, it’s been a while since I received such messages.

5 Likes

Let’s be honest I’m bad at writing applications but thankfully I still get shows I want (sometimes because I’m asked by people i know and let’s be honest I tend to work with the same people as a segger or Swedish mod.). I have never been a CM so perhaps I shouldn’t answer but I have had subtitlers on projects and when it comes to them I do appreciate if the write something in Swedish so I know they are fluent and really wants to work on the show they have applied for. I do appreciate if a newbie has something on their profile page, let’s be honest I don’t want to work with anyone that I can’t get “a feeling of”, I sort of want to know who I’m going to work with.

7 Likes

What you say is true for the new ones.
But there are plenty of old ones that are unfinished. Viki doesn’t care for them. For instance I am in one, and in this case it’s not the English team’s fault: our T.E. has left Viki and we are desperately trying to find another, but it has been impossible for months as there are very few left and they prefer new stuff. How can we release to other languages without a T.E.? The old one who left used to make 60 corrections in every part, serious meaning changes, not things like formatting and English spelling or syntax, because those I had already taken care of)
And there are some old Chinese super-long dramas that have never seen an editor and you can hardly understand what they mean, that’s how bad the translation is.

3 Likes

I do this sometimes, when I feel like I have some time to spare, but I’m not very insistant on getting the project. If noone else applies, I will take this project, translate it, edit it and take good care of it. However if there is someone good and motivated, they can take it.

Tbf, this project is taking me a slot lol
It’s been unfinished for some years now. Once a couple of month someone wakes up, tries to finish this up but fails XD I think there were at least two CM changes and we are still here

100%

I think it depends on the situation. Accusing someone without a proof just cause of spite is bad, obviously, but there are some cases on Viki, where the subs are so bad, that you don’t even need to understand the language to see, that something is wrong. I believe that, if done respectfuly, it’s okay to talk about someone’s quality.

I guess we are all different.
Personally, I don’t like to explain why I’m applying to be a moderator.
When I was a channel manager (a very long time ago), I never asked this kind of questions. I would check the volunteer’s profile to see how many ongoing projects, how many projects completed, etc.
Anyway, people can lie about their motivations and contributions.

11 Likes

Certainly, a text isn’t everything and you’ll still have to check things. Still, you can find out like that whether the text was true regarding the amount of projects etc. Regarding the motivation, I think it’s rather about putting in the effort to do something or to bother writing something aside from some copied template. In my opinion, putting in effort shows the attitude to some extent. I don’t expect people to write every application from the scratch, even if I tend to do that, but some things are repeated indeed anyway. :thinking: Maybe I feel it shows some personality. I guess that nails it.

If it’s in fact abuse, it should be mentioned. However, from all the communication on this platform, I figured some language communities are very particular about things while others are not. :thinking: So I find it hard sometimes to determine what to think of it. Certainly, it might be about being a professional or not as well. There’s a difference after all.

Yeah, unfortunately there are some projects like this. I could name 3-4 as well, but at least compared to the time when I started as a language moderator things have changed quite a lot in that regard.

I still see the issue with modern Cdramas without a TE, but I am aware that especially older dramas were much worse in terms of quality. :melting_face: It’s not different with OL translations. It’s indeed great to see how much the quality improved over the years - but it doesn’t necessarily help those old ones that rot somewhere.

1 Like

I don’t want to exclude people just because they may not be good at writing applications, don’t know what to tell, or think that the CM might be too busy to read all those long applications. Of course, the applications are indeed part of my overall impression so they should at least be friendly but for me, they don’t have to be super-long.

I generally keep my applications short and elaborate if the CM wants to know more and over the years, that has worked fine.
There was one occasion in which I did send in an extended application. The CM had no other person for that role at that moment. As soon as she read my application, she immediately contacted Person X to recruit them for that role. She waited until Person X had said yes, and then she sent me a message saying she was sorry but she had “already” asked Person X.
I regretted the effort of writing that long message. It’s one thing that she didn’t want me, but she could at least have been honest. Ever since, I don’t feel like putting that much effort into an application anymore, at least not until the CM also shows some interest.

10 Likes

I find it interesting to get a CM’s point of view on applications. I am fairly new at moderation in the French community. I am a little discouraged right now since I get rejected from all the new projects and they seem to be going to the same 8 to 10 French moderators. I am not saying that they don’t work well but know I do a good job and manage to produce (with my team) quality subtitles within the shortest time possible. I also take the time to have everything edited immediately out of respect for the public. I do appreciate that you do read the applications and I wish every CM does the same.

8 Likes

Hi,
As a French moderator I think that an application is important. But it’s an exercice that not everyone like. It’s like you’re applying for a job and it’s not easy for everyone.
I’ve never been an CM and I’m not interested by it but I thing when it’s about applications it’s like moderator choosing their teams.
When I received applications of subtitlers I really appreciate detailed applications. But I’m according as much importance to a detailed application and a short application. A short application push my to check more details on the profile’s applicant and I assume that I’m more vigilant about it. More detailed applications help me to understand my future member and I like to ask more questions in private but only about dramas you like or why you love to contribute here. I’m a sociable moderator and we say in France that “the first impression is often the good one” (but we don’t have to referred too often to it >_<) . A detailed application also help me to check the way to write and to talk of the applicant. A short application it’s like a closed dialogue according to me because it’s too short, so I will naturally ask more details to the subtitler. And often on short application, I don’t have more answer (so people are not regularly in viki and it will not be usefull to our team).
When I apply for a moderation, I like to explain my way to work, to briefly resume my importants finished projects and explain my experience. I explain it not on a too long way because I know every CM received many applications.
I think applications depend on everyone’s nature. I assume that detailed applications are more interesting according to me. But we have to take the time to give a chance to everyone even for short applications.
See ya all on viki.

4 Likes

It’s not easy for everyone to begin as a moderator. I understand your point of view and I know it’s difficult. You have to be patient. My advice it’s to begin with not “too rated drama” to gain experience then you’ll be given your chance on “the high project” you want to reach. Korean and BL dramas are often awaited by many so CM will have many applications for the French modo. But I’ve also seen some genre here that are always given to the same moderators but it’s another topic.

5 Likes

From my experience there are often not that many French applications, I think I received about 2-3 each for my last projects. Still, there might be people who focus on a certain genre or type of dramas and therefore have a lot of free slots.

I guess there are various ways to make a decision and various things to consider as well. Personally, I find these things helpful:

• How many active projects has the applicant? Does the statement match the truth if it was mentioned in the application?
  • Are there information on the About me page? Is it well-maintained?
  • How experienced are they moderating and editing dramas? How is the amount of contributions? (If someone has 0 contributions while being a moderator they seem either like a placeholder, an alt. account or someone who’s less involved in a project - or the editing hasn’t started)
  • Is there a motivation mentioned? How do they work? What’s important to them? (such as being interested in the plot, if they work by themselves or in a team, what sort of translations they want to provide and if it’ll happen in a timely manner => especially interesting in case of small teams or Spanish)
  • Does the application suggest a good understanding of English? While perfect English isn’t as necessary to translate from it, experience shows that issues here may influence the results if the comprehension isn’t appropriate
  • As mentioned previously I don’t recommend to react angrily or negatively to rejection, unless you have evidence that the chosen moderator isn’t qualified, otherwise it may reflect just badly on you. And I don’t recommend statements hinting the CM needs guidance to choose.

While it’s another topic I often hear stuff from discouraged moderators too. But other newer moderators path their own way through smaller dramas and their love for details and efforts let them get anticipated KDramas etc. in the end as well. Certainly not all the time, but I do think it’s possible with patience and efforts to show there are more qualified moderators thand just a few.

3 Likes

I really share the same sentiment. As a CM, I can see that some people genuinely want the project but may struggle to express themselves in a candidacy message. Some people aren’t good with writing, and that’s not a reason for me to discard their application. If they applied, it’s because they have interest, and if the person is friendly, I consider that a positive point :sparkles::sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

Dear, this happens A LOT in large communities like French and Portuguese. When I first became interested in moderating, I couldn’t get any projects and even thought about giving up on Viki. But as time goes by and you gain more experience, it becomes very rewarding. I’m VERY happy when I see CMs like @irmar, as she always makes choices for moderators that go beyond the ‘obvious.’ I’ve always seen her give opportunities to new people in the community :sparkling_heart::sparkles::heartpulse:

4 Likes

I appreciate your message. I also think about giving up on Viki, but I am not going to leave without saying what I think. I want to think that most CM seriously consider every applicant when they make their choice, but when I see a drama (or movie) looking for a CM and, as soon as she or he appears, four or five other language moderator are chosen right away. When did the CM have time to consider all the applicants ? I know that speaking out about that will not help me get project, on the contrary. I hope things will change soon. Thank you sincerely for your insight @daiemyllygunnarsen_8

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. You give very detailed relevant information on the way you choose. That will certainly help. I hope to have the chance to work with you someday.

2 Likes

I really thank you for those words, from the bottom of my heart. I struggle so much when I am C.M. because I don’t want to do the things that I hated when others did them to me.

But, no matter how much you try to be fair and make good decisions, most of the time you don’t really have enough info and people may deceive you regarding their skills. After all, the important thing is their knowledge of the languages and that’s something we are in no position to know, as none of us knows all the languages involved.

Therefore, even with the best intentions, we are bound to make mistakes and sometimes choose people who do not deserve to be chosen.
But then… at least let’s have the best intentions! Knowing and humbly acknowledging that perfection does not exist, and the most we can do is our best with what we have.
Which is often not enough. But it’s something. Surely better than giving a moderation to someone because they have given you one in the past or you hope they are going to in the future, because of “obligation”.

5 Likes

if you need an arabic moderator , please feel free to contact me … my point of strenght is , when my team members get lazy and don’t do the job … i do it all on my own :slight_smile: