New Favorite Dramas?

Hey @ger_o_malley :wave:!

You’ve really got a lot of dramas going on right now :astonished: .

I started the first episode of “Tunnel” last week, but it didn’t draw me in enough to continue watching the series, so I gave up :sweat:.

“My Secret Romance” is definitely an enjoyable drama, and a great way to get your fill of romance if other dramas aren’t giving you enough :persevere:.

~ (:books: :bug:) Lula

Hey @moreenke :wave:!

I’m so glad to find someone who’s watching all of the dramas I love right now :blush:!

Kwak Si Yang definitely has me surprised as well—I never thought he could pull off a psycho character so well, but the proof is in the pudding :confounded::dizzy_face:.

“Ruler” really shocked me with how much I enjoyed the first couple of episodes. I’m not usually a fan of historical dramas (too much court intrigue and backstabbing :tired_face:), but this one is incredible so far! It also doesn’t hurt that the male lead is so good looking :smirk::sunglasses:.

I was so excited to find out that Chang-wook would be starring in “Suspicious Partner”. I think it’s a really great opportunity for him to display his acting chops in an entirely different role than what he has acted in before.

1 Like

Hey guys :wave:!

This might be a little weird, but could someone help me out with a question I have :thinking:?

When typing out an actor’s name, how exactly should I write it? I usually write like this; Seo Kang Joon, because that’s what I’ve seen in actor profiles. However, I have seen in other places that names are said like this; Seo Kang-joon.

Is there a right or wrong way to write Korean names, or is it just personal preference?

Hope one of y’all can answer this question for me :grimacing:!

Hello !

From what I know, both spelling are correct, it’s really personal preference.

Sometimes it’s a letter which changes because they both sounds alike, (exemple : Park Hyun Sik / Park Hyeon Sik / Park Hyun Shik or Song Joon Ki / Song Joon Gi and that’s just a few :weary:).
So there’s no right or wrong way, romanization is just a complicated things yet very helpful, lol.
Hope I helped ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the help, @moreenke :blush:!

I guess I’ll just figure out which way is more natural for me, and use that way :wink:

1 Like

There is no “one right” spelling of Korean names. Romanization standard keeps changing and no one can keep up with it. Sometimes it can be personal preference and other times, it’s written like that by an agency and I’m not talking about just the entertainment agency. So Seo Kang Joon could be spelled like Suh Kangjoon, Seo Kangjoon, Suh Gangjun, Seo Kang-jun, Suh Gang Jun, Kangjoon Suh, etc.

I’ve seen some Koreans in Korea using the hyphen in between the two characters of their first names, such as “Kang-Joon” but most Koreans who live overseas do not use hyphens.

2 Likes

Hello @ajumma2 :wave:!

Woah… That’s overwhelming :sweat_smile:. I guess I should spell names however I prefer them :information_desk_person:. Just wanted to make sure that either way was alright :+1:.

Thanks so much for the explanation!

1 Like

BTS @ the Billboard Music Awards :notes::trophy:

I hope everyone is having a productive day :wink:

While this isn’t quite in the vein of this discussion, I wanted to start a conversation about the BBMAs last night :grin:.

As I’m sure many of you know, the Korean pop group, BTS, was nominated for the Top Social Artist Award, and flew over to Las Vegas to walk the magenta carpet and attend the award ceremony.

The category they were nominated for was won by fan votes, and BTS came through with almost 300 million votes :scream:!

Other artist nominated for this award were Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Shawn Mendes, and Selena Gomez.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DATT3efUMAIxTwD.jpg

This is such a huge step for K-pop, and I’m so proud of our boys for winning! They work so hard, and deserve this and more. Even more people know the name BTS now, and I hope that this will provide them an opportunity to spread their influence even further :blush:.

Hwaiting, BTS :fist:!

BTS with BTS #BBMAs pic.twitter.com/hATpQ5mLLj

— billboard (@billboard) May 21, 2017

3 Likes

Well if Viki would be so kind to get some more licens I propbably would watch more…but at the moment there are only like 3 dramas running in my cóuntry …2 are Chinese and 1 is Korean. I don’t know what the reason is? Last year they had like 2 to 3 K-dramas running each weak …in addition to that some Chinese as well. But for 4 month or so now I get Showbusiness related TV shows and such Nonsens -.-. At the moment I just take what they can deliver but until a few month back I never had the actual need to watch all those Chinese dramas on Viki …sorry but I’m just frustrate with Viki at the moment. :frowning:

4 Likes

Welcome to the discussion, @kumi_759 :wave:!

Gosh… I’m so sorry that you’re having such a hard time on Viki :sob:. I know how much it can suck when you’ve been looking forward to watching something but can’t find a place to watch it :tired_face:.

Hopefully Viki will get a lot more dramas available in your region soon!

Fight My Way :punch: :muscle: Episodes 1-2

Hey everyone :wave:!

I just got around to watching the first two episodes of the new KBS drama, “Fight My Way” starring Park Seo-joon from Hwarang and Kim Ji Won from Descendants of the Sun, and I am completely delighted :kissing_closed_eyes:!

As y’all know, I didn’t have very high expectations for this drama, but Fight My Way is quickly becoming one of my favorite dramas of 2017 :grin:. The main characters are absolutely hilarious, and their interactions make it so easy to ship them :joy:.

Whenever you guys get around to watching Fight My Way, keep an eye out for the comments I made in episode #2, and let me know what you think of the drama so far :wink:.

1 Like

Best dramas in the world must belong to Tvn drama. I watch Tvn for years but it rarely makes me disappointed (except for Reply 1994, a little bit but not too much). Here’s my list:

1. Chicago Typewriter
  2. Reply series
  3. Marriage not dating
  4. Oh My Ghostess
  5. Let’s Eat series
  6. Another Oh Hae Young.
  7. Hey Ghost, Let’s Fight.
  8. Drinking Solo
  9. Flower Boy Next Door
  10. Queen In Hyun’s Man
  11. Emergency Couple
  12. My Wife Having an Affair this Week
  13. Cheese in the trap
2 Likes

If that is his legal name, the right way is however he spelled it on his passport.

@ajumma2 my name is hypenated!

2 Likes

Welcome to the discussion, @trangle8507 :wave:!

There are some great dramas on your list, and also a few I haven’t watched yet :wink:. I’ll have to check them out :blush:.

For me, Queen In Hyun’s Man was one of the first dramas that had me hooked, so I’m super happy to see it on your list :tada:

I hope you continue contributing to the discussion :kissing_closed_eyes:!

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, @sophie2you :innocent:!

1 Like

Hope you’re all looking forward to some fun weekend plans (I’ll probably be watching dramas and swimming in the pool :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I just finished binge-watching a drama and I wanted to check up on everyone while updating y’all on my favorite series right now :kissing_closed_eyes:.

“Because of Meeting You” is the drama I have been watching these past few days, and let me tell you; it wasn’t easy sticking it out for 56 episodes :fearful::cold_sweat:.

I’ve become accustomed to the K-drama way of having 16-20 episodes per drama (excluding some historical dramas), so when I saw that this Chinese drama had a whopping 56 episodes, I was understandably intimidated.
I’m glad I continued watching it though, because it was really good!

Of course, there were some aspects that I would’ve liked changed, but overall it was a great watch!

The leading couple was absolute goals, and now I find myself with an even higher expectation for my future husband :joy:.

As much as I enjoyed “Because of Meeting You”, my favorite drama at the moment is actually (surprisingly enough) “Fight My Way” :flushed::clap:.

I find myself looking forward to the new episodes more than any other drama, and when there’s finally a new one, it flies by before I know it.

If you haven’t already, I highly recommend you check it out!

Keep me updated on your thoughts :wink:!

3 Likes

Have you ever watched ‘The Perfect Match’ and ‘Masked Lover’? Are Taiwanese dramas fit your taste? These 2 are improving comparing to Taiwanese drama I used to watch in the past.

Do you see my collection about tvN drama?

What are your favorite genres?

1 Like

I’m ashamed to say that I have not watched “The Perfect Match” or “Masked Lover” at all :sweat:.
I had heard of them, of course, when they were on the Viki homepage, but I never started either of them.

My experience with Taiwanese dramas has been very limited (I think the only one I even started was “Murphy’s Law of Love”), so I honestly can’t say whether they’re to my taste or not :grimacing:.

My favorite genres… I would say that a good romance/comedy is probably my favorite thing to watch, so maybe that? I also really like watching high school dramas, but I feel like maybe I’ve already watched all the good ones :cry:. If you have any recommendations, let me know!

I looked at “The Perfect Match” and “Masked Lover”, and I’ll probably end up checking out some episodes of “Masked Lover” this weekend :blush:.

1 Like

Great list, I love that you have ‘Chicago Typewriter’ at number 1 that’s where I place it also. I watched the final last night and I have to say it was excellent in every way. I’ve watched all the ones on your list and I love TvN productions. My all time favourite before ‘Chicago’ was ‘It’s Ok that’s love’ so I had to ask myself was I happy replacing it at the top of my all time list so now I’ve decided to have two at the top. Going to be very hard finding one to watch now that would be anywhere near as good as these two. Many enjoyable enough but let me down with their finish so on now to find one worth the time one has to invest in following.

2 Likes

You should watch Hwarang… It also has Seo in it and a bunch of other hot actors and he is the lead male with long hair since it is a historical drama but does have comedy too

1 Like