New Style of moderating Viki's main page of a show's comments

I saw it, and in it you’ve opened my eyes to lots.

1 Like

[quote=“choitrio, post:77, topic:38192”]
Actually, what irmar and I are discussing deals more with preferences of different editors, not subbing skills.
[/quote].
I certainly get that :slightly_smiling_face:

@jeslynl
We wouldn’t want Discussions to become a likes-farming forum, for instance, would we?

I went to see what you meant by farming forum and found this. Excuse my ignorance but don’t understand why you used that as an example. Care to explain what you mean by discussion becoming a farming forum? It was honestly the first time I see the person’s name like I saw @leerla73 so I found it strange bc I’ve answered people several times and that didn’t happened before, that’s the reason why I found it so shocking.

The Farming Forum is the largest Agricultural Website in the UK and is growing every day. The audience of over 400,000, is made up of active farmers and people involved in agriculture with an average age of 39.

2 Likes

When you reply to someone a lot in the same topic, that message usually pops up. It’s happened to me a couple of times before :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is my first time I see that happening HONEST to God.

PS @feyfayer
It said the name of the person too? Thanks for your answer.

3 Likes

I believe you. I just wanted to assure you that it’s not something weird :wink:
Other people have told me that it happens to them too.

6 Likes

@angelight313_168, it has happened to me a few times as well. I wasn’t offended with the message since I take it as Viki’s way of gently reminding me to “play with other kids too”.

8 Likes

Rather than an actual “farming forum”, I understood that as Instagram or Reddit, where people only care about their likes and upvotes. “Likes Farming” might have meant “collecting likes” or just caring about the amount of likes you get per post rather than your actual content in the post.

That’s what I understood.

10 Likes

@shraddhasingh

Oh lol :sweat_smile: I get it now I was wondering what that meant and my kids are not around to ask them. Thanks for the info. You learn something new everyday.

PS I was like what farming has to do with ‘‘talking/writing’’ Too old for this…:frowning:

6 Likes

@angelight313_168 I agree with @feyfayer, and @shraddhasingh’s replies on the question of what do you mean by, likes farming forum? Honestly, garnering likes would have done just as well, or something more neutral, in light of being sensitive to the diverse fans.

2 Likes

I am in the same boat. I didn’t even know how to copy and paste until I started volunteering here at Viki, lol.

4 Likes

“Real-time” trolling comments about different Viki dramas is where the most thoughtless crap shows up IMHO.

Surely there is someone out there in the Franz Kafka structure of Viki who can say, “Okay, stupidity over, we’re done here,” and BOOP! That method of being “real” and “transparent” goes completely away.

Since the Viki chaebols (as I showed in a previous exhausting post) do absolutely rely on the volunteer community to keep Viki marketable, there has to be somebody in the volunteer community who can say, “The real-time commenting was a feature that worked when Viki was a truly student-led, student-run, academically funded, localized project. Now it needs to go, especially in light of the unprecedented, world-wide explosion of AAPI hate crimes.”

And though I have enjoyed the times I’ve been able to write reviews of different shows via Disqus, when I have decided I want to revise or edit anything, the hassle I have to go through is not worth it. And you would think that, if Viki chaebols are all that concerned about subscriber security, they would have taken the time to throw that piece of the “Viki-verse” into a black hole.

Surely, given the backgrounds and interests of many, many in the volunteer community, there are a few who could form a committee, find a better . . . review app? . . . and recommend to the Viki chaebols that Disqus go away. As long as the chaebols don’t have to pay out of pocket to have IT people figure it out, they should be happy to say, “Sure, do it!”

Right now, lutra, I am having heritage envy.

I am Palatinate German on my father’s side. If you grew up in that part of Germany, we could be cousins! Of course you would have to go back to the Hundred Years’ War.

My father grew up in Pennsylvania which started out as an American colony full of religious and cultural diversity. His mother was German and Scotch-Irish; his father was pretty straight-up Scotch-Irish.

Both my father and my mother both taught me, with a seriousness bordering on obsession, “People are people, period. There is one human race that happens to come in different shapes, sizes, colors, and backgrounds. Period. If God made and rejoices in all his creation [which I believe he does], then you should, too. You not only should, you MUST.”

Plus Daddy had my grandmother’s Dampfnudel recipe that he would fix as a special treat for the family on the weekends. My idea of a perfectly balanced meal is: coffee, Dove ice cream bars, gimbap, and Dampfnudel (Dampfnudeln?).

This is my maternal Grandmother’s background (I was named after her). I LOVE the statement “Palatinate cooking is so solid.” Basic, working-class, simple, hearty, made to enjoy simply and share widely. I am not sure how I feel about blood sausage, but average people trying to survive economically make use of EVERYTHING.

And personally, I believe, if you want to eat sweets, cut to the chase, get solid dental insurance, and go German all the way! (I have ten fillings in my teeth from my unenlightened, sugary childhood.)

3 Likes

Always happy to help you :wink:

3 Likes

I follow, :point_up:t5:these are such valued points! :point_down:t5: The question is, is this what the fans want too?

That is not actually true. Ninja segging academy had at some point extended its field of action to subbing, starting off with English and then continuing to some of the bigger languages.

However, this is an initiative a small group of Viki translators undertook, and it does not represent the working majority.

Unlike segmenting (segging), translating is much more complex and can’t be learnt and exercised nearly as fast enough as segmenting. Sometimes it can’t be learned, ever.

Well said, hear, hear! :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Well, honestly, I love Disqus and I would not want it to go away any time soon. Yes, of course, there are people who misuse Disqus but aren’t there people who also want to have actual fun interacting with others?
There are community members who always leave precious information about new shows and dramas.
There are viewers who let the volunteers know they are really thankful for the time they spend in subtitling.
There are CMs and Staff who notify viewers about delay in airing of shows.
There are people who discuss fan theories about what’s going to happen next in a show.
There are people who use the comments section to let others know reviewing a show before watching is bad.

Just because there’s a bad apple in a carton, you wouldn’t throw away entire carton with rest of good apples, would you?

5 Likes

“Like-farming” and what you found are not at all the same. What you got, even if you avoided using Google, was an example of search algorithm stupidity.

THIS is “like-farming.”

I will say that this definition is very much a definition of what happens on Facebook which has an even broader “community” than Viki and tries to do a whole lot more than Viki in terms of trying to please its users. I have had my FB account hacked twice in the past ten years, and once it spilled over into issues with my computer and about twenty different Web accounts I have; it took me eight months to sort everything out and get super-serious about guarding my personal data.

4 Likes

Love it! We do cross-over education here in the community discussions! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

… if it is more than one - LOL - I guess so. Kind of living in the West of Palatinate, so hello there, as it goes for heritage … I don’t know …
We only found relatives back to the 1800 my mom’s dad still in Palatinate as well as my mom’s mom. My father however Swiss and German, but both his parents were born in Northeastern Germany today Poland.

Yeah the War of Hundred Years left some cities with less than a hundred people, because this part where I am living was run over and over by the Spanish, the Swedish, the French and so on … So I am not sure how deep our Palatinate’s roots are.

About, Dampfnudeln, I am told my grandmother maternal side made them often, I only heard about it, none of her 6 daughter got her recipe. So this tradition is not in my family. My youngest aunt likes to tell me how good they were … When I was born my grandmother was already weak and my grandfather did all the cooking, but no Dampfnudeln.

Oh, the sausages, yes Palatinate is especially known for sausages from blood and liver, and potato sausage, it’s a combination of blood sausage added potatoes lots of herbs, yeah hearty you would call it I guess. Not to forget Saumagen. Pig stomach filled with with all kind of stuff from the pig including ham pieces and again potatoes. There is a saying if you don’t eat or like potatoes you are no real Palatinate. LOL

P.S. Movie recommendation for people in the Americas with Palatinate roots
“Hiwwe wie Driwwe” about the language Pennsylvania Dutch that makes it possible till this day to communicate, not in depth since on both side over hundreds of years the language changed.

2 Likes

I appreciate your realistic, logic and eloquent responses. However, I noticed they are somewhat centred around the English language. By that I mean that the biggest money making cow on Viki is the audience which speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese or French. Next are the Romanian, Italian and Arabic-speaking audiences. And for those your arguments are valid in my opinion.

But, I am Croatian. And up until this year there weren’t any (legal) web site in the world who made money off of Croatian subtitles for Asian dramas. In fact, for almost a decade Viki was the only one. And I doubt they earned that much :joy:

I wonder how beneficial financially are Asian dramas to the Croatian version of Netflix :thinking:

4 Likes