New Style of moderating Viki's main page of a show's comments

@porkypine90_261, :smile: I think you mentioned something similar in another discussions post? The world is big, and small all at the same time :blush: Or should I say, these methods crossed oceans, eons of history ago, we cannot possibly be taught them in the traditional, educational arenas.

My favorite German tutor, Herr Google, tells me I should say:

Translation (more or less): My dear cousin, if you’ve never tried steamed noodle, go out and buy something right away. You will not regret it!

I did a screen cap so as not to make Viki think I want to use special formatting.

Speaking of food, in my time zone . . . . LUNCH! Hooray!

2 Likes

I will reply later …

1 Like

My responses have to be centered around the English language. For various reasons, my languages are English (I was an English Literature major in school) and Spanish (mostly picked up as a small child in Texas). My #2 sister (I am one of three sisters) is like me. My #3 sister knows English and French (as does her daughter, my neice).

Croatia has to be a very small niche market for any for-profit organization. And watching K-dramas on the Internet has got to be a problem for anyone who does not know one of the “big” subbing languages. Viki’s policies sometimes bother me immensely (“bug the crap out of me” is the colorful, idiomatic way to say it in English) but it is THE premier platform for Asian dramas.

For Netflix, hosting K-dramas is a matter of business, not pleasure, so they are not going to work very hard to have a very “inclusive” community when it comes to that aspect of their playlists.

I stopped watching Netflix about three years ago because it is a platform that is so worried about being inclusive and free-speech, yet it has no problem hosting a huge number of videos that are, IMHO demeaning to women, violent beyond the necessity of cinematic creativity, and not very interested in what their “community” has to say about anything outside their focus on making money.

I was able to watch some great K-dramas when I did have a Netflix subscription. That whole “not licensed in your region” issue was less of an annoying issue. However, the other aspects of their business model . . . bugged the crap out of me.

(Giphy)

2 Likes

Looking forward to it. In the meantime, you motivated me to find my Grandmother’s dampfnudel recipe. Her family emigrated to the US in the 1840s, and I believe this is from her father’s mother.

4 Likes

We should make a Club and learn from each other lol

My kids say to me; look in the internet! But look what I found, and it was something totally different than what the real meaning was. Btw, I learned how to copy and paste here too.

Well, when I started subbing dramas you ask questions and ppl give you nice instructions. Like the spoiler blur thingy 3 ppl explained it and finally after tries one of the explanations helped me out (I think feyfayer was the winner) lol

3 Likes

Looks like we already have a club, called Viki Discussions.:wink:

4 Likes

@choitrio

Yeah, I just have to keep in mind to limit how much I communicate with you, and the members of the club; No More than 3 times. I’m guessing; per day? So for today I’m done answering/asking you stuff bc is already 3 times limit.

PS. Let me squeeze this in. Why it bothers me so much that in almost every k drama I see is: Do you not know she was married? Do you not like the flowers I gave you? It angers me to see a sentence like that. Am I being ridiculous in feeling so angry about that? I mean this is a disease now with that sentence in dramas. Do you not see anything wrong in a sentence written like that? I care about your opinion bc you work as an editor too, right? Would you change it or leave as is?

Another example: Adults cry too. I see
instead of; Oh, I see. Adults cry too.

2 Likes

Well, your favorite German tutor has a problem many translation programs
have.
Mr. Google does not realize that you are on friendly terms with your cousin since you are family, so there is no need to use the formal Sie, but the need to choose the friendly Du.
So actually you would say:
Mein lieber Cousin, …
and implying that you mean “me” and I am a female it goes like this …
Meine liebe Cousine, wenn du Dampfnudel noch nie probiert hast, geh sofort los und kauf dir sofort welche. Du wirst es nicht bereuen!

Now you may understand that most of the German community had a huge problem with the once introduced tool “One liners”, as given a sentence in English, we never could be sure, is this polite speech, is it a man or a woman, and so on … It was like opening Pandoras Box. The sentence could be correctly translated, but looking at the scene could be totally wrong as well. I am glad One Liners is history.

LOL I hope you don’t mind the small German lesson. My, oh my it’s past midnight again on my side, so good night.

P.S. And thanks for the recipe.

2 Likes

@adrianmorales

adrianmorales
I’m sorry. But that’s the price we all have to pay when we don’t do our best to get along.

It’s funny you mentioned that bc sometimes you posted things and some ppl here kind of attacked what you wrote about. and I felt it was so unfair, too. What price you had to pay if you was just saying how you felt at the time in a respectful manner? (about a drama that had too much violence towards women etc…remember?)

You even answered them in the sweetest way possible but they still ‘‘egged on’’

This is not bc ppl don’t get along here as much as is controlling what ppl say, feel or do here.

Something is not right, and I know the adrian I knew, knows it’s true. Certain ppl and even staff makes you feel unwelcome here, and that’s unacceptable but they are getting away with that. But the saying goes: Nothing last forever. They should enjoy it while it last.

2 Likes

Well, thank you very much for the relationship upgrade. Pass the beer and the cake! I know about “Du” parties from a German neighbor. Prosit!

Tell me how the recipe goes for you. I have not eaten my Grandmothers’s Dampfnudel since college, and I have never made it myself.

I think every culture must have some sort of steamed bun or dumpling.

(Pinterest)

A Dampfnudel bun is, however, one of the most dangerous I can imagine. Ten plates for me, please, and do not stop serving until I lie down on the floor and say, “Okay, I must stay here forever since I now weigh 5,000 embarrassing units of any measure you care to use.”

:flushed: :yum: :flushed: :yum: :flushed:

2 Likes

@angelight313_168, before we talk about the sentences in question, I just want to let you know that I generally don’t enjoy editing as much as subbing. I’ve only worked as a TE on three projects, and all three were at the insistence of the CE, not because I volunteered for the position. Anyway, for “Do you not know she was married?”, I would change it to “Did you not know that she was married?” or “Don’t you know that she is married?”, depending on the context. As a TE, my job is to focus on the correctness of translations and I generally refrain from making edits unless it is absolutely necessary.

3 Likes

@choitrio

Thank you for responding, and I understand and respect your way of working. It so happens that I have tried by writing several times comments mentioning about that sentence started with… ‘‘DO YOU NOT’’… but they keep removing my comment, and no one gets to see it, so I’m guessing now that is why I see this sentence so much in almost every drama. I hope if you come across this sentence you change it at least once, so they can see that there are other ways to write the sentence without using Do you not… that for unknown reason, I hate to read in a sentence so much.

I no longer enjoy reading the drama’s subtitles since they are always what I call ‘‘backwards:’’ with the little Korean I understand I know the girl said in the drama; Oh, I see that adults can cry too. But instead they write the sentence like this; Adults cry too. I see. (Periods and all that’s how they translated the sentence) Fragmented sentence that without the period can be called a run on sentence but by adding the periods they think that solves the problem. I give up lol

3 Likes

I think someone once mentioned in another thread that being fluent in Korean sometimes works to your disadvantage when correcting English grammar because the “Korean way” of speaking will seem natural. I understood perfectly the meaning of "Adults can cry too, I see. " and I probably would have left it to the GE or CE to make changes if s/he thought it was necessary. Actually, the final grammar check is in the hands of GE and CE anyway.

5 Likes

A risk that I took since I’m used to it. Let’s face it, I knew my posts were controversial. But I felt it was the only way to get the conversation… Ehhh… I mean discussions going. :sweat_smile: And Yes, I am taking full credit for the Netflix-like rating system that Viki has now! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:They used to dump dozens of dramas, slap a PG-13 on all of them, and then call it a day. But not anymore. And I’m happy I could do something. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Baking classes too :smiley:! These threads has it all! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

umm…I didn’t understand what you meant by this…:thinking: Reviews aren’t written via Disqus, as far as I’ve noticed. They’re the only things we don’t use the Disqus thing for. How is revising/editing a hasse for you? I thought they were pretty accessible, I can do it either from my ‘About’ page or on the Channel page. It’s even easier on the Channel page because it always shows your review first and then the rest of the reviews.

This thread, however, is about the moderation of a show’s comments by Viki or Disqus or who knows who. Not the editing of subtitles. I feel uncomfortable when discussions veer towards other matters. I feel it’s disrespectful to the person who first started the thread and also confusing to those who read it, who may or may not be interested in that unrelated subject. It so happens that you and I are passionately interested in it, but even then, isn’t it nicer to find such conversations all grouped under the right threads where one can easily find them?
Oh, if I were moderator in Discussions, I would make sure they are clean and neat!

1 Like

@leerla73

leerla73
Affects not only @angelight313_168, it affects

lmao it doesn’t affect me at all bc I rarely give likes or hearts unless I agree with the ‘‘whole discussion’’ so I was never jailed out to continue giving ‘‘hearts’’ or ‘‘likes’’ like it happens to you so often. The shocking one to me was to see your name and the message saying I was ‘‘replying’’ too much to you. Like I said before I have never seen this message before although I have replied more than 3 times to other ppl. here.

It’s more that it bothered me in the sense that I feel is the bad habit here of controlling everything in here. You must remember this: how can it affect me when I told you it doesn’t happen to me? I found it strange how much it does happen to you, but I wasn’t aware about the new changes going on here in discussion. Now that I know what’s up, I understand things better. In other words, I finally got the ‘‘farming Forum’’ thing big deal thanks to the wonderful ppl that knows how to explain things with respect and understanding to what may be my ignorance in the subject.

PS. Let me be honest and not a hypocrite and add that I thought they were picking on you, but thankfully it turned out it wasn’t that at all.

1 Like

@leerla73

misswillowinlove lutra

[19h](https://discussions.viki.com/t/new-style-of-moderating-vikis-main-page-of-a-shows-comments/38192/105Looking forward to it. In the meantime, you motivated me to find my Grandmother’s dampfnudel recipe. Her family emigrated to the US in the 1840s, and I believe this is from her father’s mother.

[](https://discussions.viki.com/u/leerla73leerla73 Baking classes too :heavy_heart_exclamation:! These threads has it all! :heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

Isn’t it funny when certain people change the thread subject no one says anything? But the one about [Not the editing of subtitles] all of a sudden requires a moderator to make sure is neat and clean. Hmm…Go figure.

1 Like