Okay what's the badge requirement for march now -?

I tried clicking the link in the newsletter and it takes me to a page with badges, NOT the 10 months of badge requirements. For some reason - either I’m just not seeing it or it’s taken down? the subathon note here at Discussions… is not showing up for me either.

So…well…it’s March 6th. Do we have a new requirement for the next badge or ?

Whether I elect to follow the yellow brick road through all the little stops is one thing, I’d like to try to help those around me who are more into the badges if nothing else. :slight_smile:

Crunchy Dieter Donut (heh!)

1 Like

Linda, I have only the viki’s announcement of 10 months badge challenge. I don’t see a February badge on my page nor have I seen the March badge challenge, they are probably still working on the idea, in their post they are also asking for ideas for badge challenges!
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000332308

They said in the article that the badges will be distributed a week after the challenge has ended. Then they will take a look at all contributions and decide who will get the badge.

1 Like

Hi, I’m a fresh newbie in Viki, I joined last Feb20th, and I started subtitling “Death Notify: The Darker”, season 1, a Chinese serie, episodes 5:2, 7:1 and 7:2, last Feb28th and March 1st. I have 521 contribuitions only, I’m a QC Trainee. I’d like to know if these contribuitions will count for the 1st badge, the February one. If they don’t, I will have no chances to collect all the ten badges and unlock the final one in December. I hope that Viki review the challenge settings. I sent a ticket to support and no answer so far.

@sylvia_roque you needed to complete 800 subtitles or segments (for segmenting you need to do the Ninja segmenting academy). Also in order to compete in the 10 months challenge only 4 drama titles did count toward that final extra reward or participation for another reward. I posted a link about the rules above, scroll up.

By now I think we’ve all received it. The badge for March is easy. You have to make a collection. With at least 6 titles in it, with some notes for each. And a general title, cover page for the collection.
(Yawn! Good way to flood viki’s servers with useless collections. If the user wanted to make one they would already have, right?)

2 Likes

Done. Sure, it took an hour off the time I had tonight to edit. Considering I got the “sorry, the video stream isn’t working” error several times editing earlier, I guess it’s just going to be one massive server test?

Maybe they should delete all these collections at the end of the month?

I think that fabulous actor playing El Temur is shorter than I am too…

GeNie of the Lamp

Thanks a lot for your time answering me.

Uhm… what do you mean with… “done”…? The mighty task for the precious March badge takes off only on the 12th:)) But it’s okay, you can always make another one. I’ll go and vote all of your collections. Not sure it’s relevant if I do that, though:))
P.S.: Am I the only one that feels that this is too easy? I mean… I got the fishy feeling this is some kind of setup, and I’m missing something; something which will prove to be lethal later on, in the attempt to be crowned queen of all badges on planet Earth…:))
… did I watch too many thriller and suspense dramas…?..

1 Like

Seems to me that Viki simply changed badges usage strategy.
My guess: It used to be a last resort for “subtitle amount graph for investors” day, and now it is a general “let’s make all of the community run in this direction” tool.
Real fun if you build some manager a “point and click” game interface where they click and we run…

3 Likes

Cheesy rats! Seriously? doesn’t start til the 12th? :frowning: Thanks for letting me know, sigh…

Hmm. I guess delete and do it over again, twice the work. :frowning: or…just do one kinda like it. :slight_smile: sigh. I didn’t care about the collections really - just did 2 I wanted myself. ARGH!

I am likely not the only person who missed that date!

Oh I am with you on the suspicion that there’s something in this list of things for a whole year that will prove lethal to most of us in an odd way - the poisoned apple waiting for Snow White, as it were…sigh.

I also believe there will always be POPPIES in store on your way down the Yellow Brick Road!

Crunchy Dieter Donut is skeptical about what is in the bakery window on this whole badge-gathering thing…these “TREATS” may appear to have substance, but be made of wax!

1 Like

I have some (legitimate?) doubts:

1. where’s my febbruary badge? (I mostly translate Chinese… I’m sure that I translated more that a thousand subtitles… so?)
  2. is this a sort of challenge? (♫ I have more badges than youu… I have more badges than youuuuu…♫)
  3. It’s easy to have a lot of badges (I’ve seen people with badges in improbable languages such as: Indonesian, Tagalog, Romanian and so on. Knowing that they know their own mother tongue, and barely one or two more, I wonder: who checks if the subtitles they made are good ones? May be they just changed the punctuation and they obtained the badge)
  4. what’s the point in having many collections? Viki gains something? Do we?
  5. I feel like someone that’s eating a lot of biscuits without being hungry just to collect some points on a card (it’s like magic: 12 packet of biscuits and you get one free)

Someone there to help me undestand?

2 Likes

:joy:
For me, it’s like catching Pokemon or badges being the carrot.
The only Pokemon I want to catch this year is: penguin (because of a documentary I saw, I fall in love with them).

Just remind me of a gaming period experience:
they offered free elixir each day+events+daily quests so we had to come everyday to have it + playing with these elixirs, you could have rare equipment and show it to everyone or gain good money (Look at my rare armor or my epic sword!).

Badges on this game weren’t as “big” as on Viki (I mean we didn’t care at all about badges) but about gear+lvl of our character and yes, seeing someone with a rare gear, sparkling everywhere, lvl max 100, some people can be envious.
Gear + lvl (game) = Badge + number of dramas, subtitlers, titles? (Viki).

After playing for a long time this game, I’ve become tired of it and understood that in the end, being Lvl10 or Lvl100, it’s just a fudging number on my screen and number of levels they will create can be infinite,
=> something virtual that shouldn’t dictate me what I should do or how I should live (oh, I have to connect everyday to have my free elixir, etc.).

2) Challenge, not really, click there and there and it’s done (don’t have to spend many efforts). But when we first began to volunteer here, the first badges are gained quickly (10 subtitles, you have the first badge XD) https://www.viki.com/badges

1. IDK at all what would Viki gain by making collections, maybe understanding better clients behaviour and taste based on their collection? Sell data or making new Viki production based on this? Or buy new license/don’t renew a license based on that?

Contrary to typical badges, viewers can participate too, so maybe a way to make everyone participate to the Bday and not only volunteers?
For viewers, I saw we have many collections and many people follow collections, so this tool is quite used by viewers here.
Now, we can make collections for anything.

3 Likes

Anything? Let’s eat biscuits!

I’m joining the discussion cause I wonder of anyone wants to share their march collection :slight_smile:
As I’m still waiting for the February badge to come, the waiting might be shorter while looking at some collections by badge collectors.
I still can’t believe that they haven’t made the whole badge process automatic by now after so many sub-a-thons.

@deadliftdiva_548 I missed the line with the date myself, for 3 or 4 times, actually:) Luckily, I didn’t have time this weekend to do the collection, or else, I would’ve been right on your boat. Which would’ve been ok, if you had coffee on board…:))
@simonadeluca_54 I agree with the improbable languages, except for Romanian:)) Not just because I’m one of them, but because:

1. I know most of the Romanian subbers, and, even if it sounds a little bit unrealistic, I worked with almost all of them (no, it’s not a “wow”; some of them left me some lifelong traumas:))
  2. Many of them were volunteers at a Chinese drama I’m moderating, and they didn’t just fill in, they subbed. Mainly for the badge, but they were happy it went faster than at a Kdrama:D
    P.S.: if any of you ever needs to proof something in Romanian, shout out^^
    @juliasreise I’m such a statistics freak; I always loved the subject, from years back, in college. Even now, at work, I do all kind of statistics (even if it’s not always required:)). What do I mean by that? Well, I checked the Collection section right after I got the Pm, and then, 2 days later, and then again, today. You’d be amazed (or maybe not:)) to hear that 60% of the collections were born in these past few days, and even more surprised to hear that, out of the 60%, 50% only has 1 to 3 shows in it. While I can understand that people didn’t, maybe, read the whole pm, to see that the badge requires a 6 drama collection, I still can’t understand how can 1 drama be 1 collection…:))
2 Likes

Girl, there’s always coffee on board. Pastries, cheesecake, the food table is open too.

Any boat I’m on, will be definitely catered. :slight_smile: Possibly with smiling and cute men to make sure we don’t run out of anything. Comfy chairs. Massages for those who do too much editing, or segmenting, or subbing…or even viewing, although it seems I never do that… :slight_smile:

I think I could take over that awesome boat known as “The World” - the floating flat-house of the extra-wealthy that tours the globe… :slight_smile: See?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/the-world-luxury-ship-one-square-meter/index.html

For you, I’ll sign it “Crunchy Dieter Donut”

2 Likes

Denisse_bach… it wasn’t intended on you. I know Romanian is your mother tongue. I was speaking about those people that pretend to know many languages and barely know theur own (I saw terrible translations into Italian for instance). I’ve seen people with lots of badges on too many languages.
As it’s easy to get a badge for the languages I’m almost certain that they just copy/paste from google translate simple words such as “hello” “bye-bye” in the subtitles of every other language.
If you do that, after 300 copy/paste you’ll get the badge in any language. The same goes if you just change a comma with a full stop or if you copy a song from the previous subtitles.
It’s always the same old story: quality vs. quantity.

I know you didn’t mean me:) And I agree with your points of view. The fact that I worked with most of the Romanian subbers wasn’t always a pleasant ride. Thank God many of them already vanished from the site:)) ( I know, that was mean…:D). I also know what you mean with the badges. Although I’m one of the ones with multiple language badges:). I did copy paste most of the lyrics at dramas I’m CM-ing, 'cause I wanted the lyrics to be exact the same in all episodes, not a wrecked train. It’s true, though, that, beforehand, I tried to get a certified opinion of a trusted translator in that respective language, so that my effort doesn’t go to waste with a crappy translation. Not everyone is like me, though, as most of them are, indeed, ONLY after the badges… (… the bragging, though… @-@…)

2 Likes

I’m not seeing this badges like a bad thing, because like @piranna said it’s like “gonna catch them all” and it change a lot our routine. I personnally want to do all the challenges cause I love collecting things.
Maybe the march’s badge looks like boring but with my friends we give us a subject for the collection like " do not see", “that’s my girl”, some funny subject. And finally we got some fun even with that.
Sometimes we are right to overthink about Viki’s doing but maybe (i hope) they just doing that for

1. give some dynamism to the community= they do like they can and we can praise that
  2. give a chance to new people on Viki and old one to finally understand this new platform/adding things. I mean i’m still not use to certain new things.
  3. Or they got the mischevious/strange plan with that badges to divide us, like divide and conquer (you know what i mean) and look at us fighting, killing each other === but i guess i watch too much historical/royalty/strategic/Three Kingdoms area drama this day.

They’re doing something for us, of course nothing is perfect…but i can say it’s a good thing. I’m like…wearing my armor, take my sword ready for going into the battle of collecting badge during 10 month like " What’s next, i’m gonna conquer all of them, let’s kick some ass !!! ". *you need to think right now of someone who running against a badges army screaming “For Glory” or something like dat, cause you know at the end of this ten month the holy graal will be finally discover.
And i promise now, i will stop with all my metaphore’s battle.

Kiss
Kylamia

2 Likes