Ooo Those Historic Outfits - The Fabrics are Gorgeous!

I’m on the eps 2 :sob:
It’s actually pretty good, but get yourself ready to cry

3 Likes

Yes, My Country is sad but a very well done show!

2 Likes

GONE WITH THE WIND HISTORICAL OUTFIT. THE FAMOUS DRESS MADE OUT OF A VELVET CURTAIN

RED BALL \GOWN
THEY RESTORE ICONIC BALLGOWN FROM GONE WITH THE WIND
DRESS WORE TO THE BARBEQUE
BLUE GOWN

Designs on display: Recreations of Civil War gowns showcased at “Gone With the Wind” 80th anniversary celebration

4 Likes

She is my people! :dress:

scarlett%20o'hara

My mother was very pretty and Vivien Leigh reminds me of her.

4 Likes

It’s nice to see those in color. We had a Black and White tv when we were kids. Most people did. I am not sure when color tv came out… (googles it) Oh! 1975 were the first sets and color broadcasts!

We had a Sony Trinitron back in 1975 that you had to individually tune the stations and it only had 13 channels. It was State of the Art back then. It was also the year that Saturday Night Live debuted!
To bring this back on topic! that Land Shark outfit was the bomb! 70’s fashion! We all had those pants that Laraine Newman was wearing along with a baggy shirt with a big collar.

Aww! Poor Garrett Morris! (I forgot that ending!)

1 Like

This oh I can’t even! :laughing:

My mother said “Went with the Breeze.”

3 Likes

Carol Burnet’s bit was HILARIOUS!

1 Like

Ok! time for another Cheng Yi fix!
Immortal Samsara.

Immortal-Samsara-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5hFwT0_nyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00SiUezRapg

3 Likes

I’d like to know where they got the patterns for each of those outfits, and where did they get all that material, was it all silk too?

3 Likes

Ok, now I’m waiting for this show :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Yes, the fancy stuff historically was silk. (Who knows what the movie stuff is though, it could be cheaper polyester/rayon, etc.)

The long and flowy stuff is only suitable for indoor wear or in paved areas of gardens otherwise, the clothing would catch on everything. The cut of the outfits is standard men’s wear for wealthy men from before the Qing Dynasty which was the last one that lasted about 300 years - (Qing Dynasty clothing was an entirely different look and I hated that they forced the men to shave the front of their heads. The northern Qing were not Han people and had a different culture.)

As far as the embroidery designs go, that is the artistry of the embroiderers and fabric designers. Gorgeous stuff, ennit?

Military garb is shorter and more practical - usually below knee-mid-calf with wrapped leggings.
Peasants, like peasants everywhere, wore practical outfits in neutral colors. Their clothing was more likely to be hemp for working wear, but they may have had cotton or silk also. The styles and fabric type varied according to climate and ethnic group.

5 Likes

I love anything long and flowy - so romantic - and so gorgeous on our historical men!

5 Likes

I really like the long hair. But I like long hair on guys as long as it is neat and clean. (Remembering all of those STINKY hippies from the old days of San Francisco’s Haight Ashbury district being a beacon for hippies. :nauseated_face: cough :grimacing: barf :face_vomiting: I think they were allergic to soap and water.)

6 Likes

Oh I thought we were taking about costumes!!! hahahahaha!

5 Likes

We were. AND - along with the outfits is the gorgeous long hair! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I love the way they do a top knot

4 Likes

and please, don’t forget the ponytail!!!

4 Likes

And the Man Bun - some of these young guys can carry that off so sexy!

4 Likes

Traditional Filipino clothing

4 Likes

Typical outfits
'Miss UNIVERSE
Traditional BOMBA Dance Clothes

1940’s

1970’s
1950’s

1950 wedding dress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xjCNkdWEg0

2 Likes