Petítion to Adress Unfair Practices in Distributing Translation

This year, there have been 37 projects so far. 7 people have already been appointed CM twice. We’re only in the middle of March and we seem to have run out of competent CMs already! So much so that Viki had to appoint the same people again. What a sad state of affairs - so many incompetent applicants. :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

I wholeheartedly support whomever decides to come out openly against unfair practices, because these are festering wounds that have to be addressed.
But I also didn’t sign the petition, because it refers and seeks solutions to specific problems inherent to the Hungarian community, of which - although they are disturbingly similar to those in most other communities! - I have no personal knowledge. Some of them can be solved somehow by general Viki rules which would affect all the other Language communities as well. However it says “We, Hungarian moderators”, I am not a Hungarian moderator so it’s not my place to sign it.
I wish you success in your endeavour!

What? So 12 CM positions per year for each?
If it’s a film or a 4-episode web drama, it will finish quickly, within a month. But if it is a 16-ep kdrama or a 30-ep cdrama, they would surely overlap and the person would have many projects at once.
Considering that many CMs also moderate (either that same drama or other ones), having more than one at any given time is really a recipe for disaster.
I, for one, wouldn’t accept so many. Being CM is hard work before the start of the project, with all the detective work you have to do to find out whether the person completes their projects or not etc. (thanks to Viki, who refuses to make our life easier in finding the relevant info on the profile pages)

4 Likes

The reason why I can’t agree with you is because I’ve worked in a lot of dramas and I know some people who, although they were great CMs, have never got a new project since, as if they’ve been blacklisted. On the contrary, others get a chance to be CMs every month. The way I see it Viki has 6-7 people working all the time and sometimes assigns a CM post to avoid a repeat of the incident in the fall when the same thing was said here. The result of that was that almost every commenter got a starter series to shut up within a short time. It was not only me who noticed this but others as well.

9 Likes

A petition is a request to do something, most commonly addressed to a government official or public entity. A petition is signed by numerous individuals.

When signing a petition ANYONE can sign it unless is specified the petition is for an SPECIFIC group of people. I have signed petitions that has nothing to do with me, but I want to support the cause and request for the petition.

This means you can be from wherever you are from, and still able to sign and support the cause. I suggest to @mizuki_aikawa_sama to add in the intro part:
We, the undersigned Hungarian-language and ALL OTHER LANGUAGE contributors for Rakuten Viki, hereby submit this petition to protest against…

I know many (including MYSELF) that are willing to sign this petition in support of @mizuki_aikawa_sama complaint of: [Unfair Practices in Distributing Translation Projects at Rakuten Viki] since these unfair practice has been going on for years and years and it needs to be stopped by the higher ups once and for all.

4 Likes

@mizuki_aikawa_sama I’ve worked in a lot of dramas and I know some people who, although they were great CMs, have never got a new project since, as if they’ve been blacklisted.

It’s not only CM/Subbers get blacklisted too, and can’t work in any drama/movie etc. That’s the tactic that these controlling group of people do in every language. I know for a fact we have right now in here Editors that has no business doing any kind of Editing work, but yet, you see them as Editors in almost all the popular dramas, and their work (editing) is mainly done with translation tools.

4 Likes

In the Google Form, we put: “If you share the concerns expressed in this petition (even if you cannot form an opinion on the ones specific to the Hungarian community) and wish to join the petition, please sign it.”

If this is acceptable to you, we would be grateful if you considered signing it: https://forms.gle/f1EA2EGCsqqrEKU49

4 Likes

If 24 hours is too little, then three days. Please note that moderators also have a lot of work to do before the drama airs. The algorithm works on the basis of the instructions it receives: if the instructions do not include “sympathy”, “cronyism”, “discrimination”, it would already be better than the current situation.

The problem of the accumulation of projects can also be easily complied with by establishing that each CM can only win one project at a time or two projects of different types, up to a deadline to be established, for example the delivery of all the episodes to OL. Furthermore, it would already be a big step forward compared to the current situation in which the same person receives the management of projects continuously.

But this number does not represent the real amount of people who “want” to manage that project. From the first day I asked for a moderation, I used the following method: 1. I apply as CM: 2. I receive the message from Viki telling me who has been chosen as CM; 3. I write to her privately and ask for the moderation. In reality I know very well that I will not be chosen as CM, but I need the candidacy to immediately know her name and apply as moderator. And let me be clear that this method was suggested to me by people who have been doing it for years.

1 Like

So what do you think is the real number of people, who want to be a CM?
I’m applying only when I want the CM position. If I want to see, when the CM gets appointed and when I can sed my moderator opplication, I have d.iscord for that.

In the past, we got a lot of CMs who had no clue, but in those cases, there was always a CE or CS who acted as an invisible co-CM. Nowadays, Viki often lets newbies work with an actual co-CM. In both cases, the CM has guidance and things will work out fine. And next time, they know what to do and can work independantly.
In reality, though, we have tons of people who are very well capable of being CM, but don’t get the chance anymore because of that handful of serial CMs.

6 Likes

What algorithm are you referring to?

How would your system safeguard against the same, say, 10 people getting a huge chunk of the total projects in a year?

1 Like

The algorithm has to be written from scratch, which is why I wrote that it would be expensive for Viki.

It does not matter if it is twelve or six projects a year or two, the right percentage depends on how many projects come out each year. What matters is that there is a pre-established rule, which there is not now.

This is the reason why Moderators in any given language should stop ‘‘hogging’’ all the projects (in their language). A common practice going on in here for many years now. They form controlling groups that only assign ‘‘their people’’ ‘‘their group’’ and of course, they take more than they should, creating the ‘‘too much work on their hands situation’’ something they created themselves since people that are able and willing to do the work are never recruited for those positions since they are not part of their control group, and some are even ‘‘blacklisted’’ as mentioned before.

agiulia_449
It does not matter if it is twelve or six projects a year or two, the right percentage depends on how many projects come out each year. What matters is that there is a pre-established rule, which there is not now.

They had made a rule where positions in dramas (CM, Moderators etc.,) were regulated, but very soon the ‘‘controlling groups’’ found a way to keep themselves in all the projects they want, and the vicious cycle continues to this day.

Why Rviki higher ups continue allow these controlling groups to continue such an unfair practice in OL because this doesn’t happen in one or two language but ALL LANGUAGE.

A lot of people think that expressing our feelings here is that we have ‘‘anger’’ about the situation, but in my case is not anger, but frustration that this unfair practice can very easily be stopped by the higher ups; if they JUST take their time to do so.

Personally, I’m not interested in doing at Rviki any work as CM/Mod/Subber etc., but it does bother me when I see unfair things going on here, and NOTHING is done to stop this vicious cycle of these controlling groups THAT I don’t care who wants to get offended some people are not even QUALIFIED to do the many positions they ‘‘hog’’ in projects (especially when it comes to EDITING dramas/movies/etc).

IN my opinion, if you need translation tools to do your Editing work, and you/we still make mistakes, you/we don’t belong in that position, and do the viewers at this site the favor, and give others that can provide better quality work the chance to do so bc it’s only the FAIR thing to do.

4 Likes

What would be your suggestion for pre-established rules? What would guarantee equal opportunity for all of us?

1 Like

Many people are capable of being CM. We’re supposed to be an open community. If someone wants to be a CM, they should be given a chance to learn. If a problem arises, Viki has to deal with it.

3,000 subtitles are the only requirement:

6 Likes

Regarding competence:

1. I think first of all that there should be a CM video course similar to the segger video course. I am not an expert but I think just one video is enough.
  2. CMs should have passed at least the first level of the segger course.
  3. 30,000 subtitles
  4. At least a year must have passed since their first contribution
  5. They must have been active continuously in the last six months with at least 500 monthly contributions

Regarding fairness:

1. No more than three dramas and three films per year
  2. A section to apply as a moderator in the project finders, mandatory
  3. A three-day deadline to assign moderations
  4. In case of inaction by the CM, moderation automatically goes to the first person who requested it for that language or to the first person who requests it in the future
  5. Impossibility for the CM to be present in the drama with any role and inability for the CM to access the subtitle editor and the segment timer
1 Like

Can someone explain to me what this means?

Please kindly note that to help prevent unfairness in the community, if you are reported and found to be adding other Contributors as Editor/All Language Moderator who are operating as a specific language moderator, we will remove you from your position as a Channel Manager, which will affect your future Channel Manager applications, and this can later lead to the removal of your QC status and access to the Viki website, if needed.