Please Ask Questions

Hihi!

Recently, it has come to my attention that some? many? have been doubting the validity of the English subtitles and the edits the English team makes. And I thought I’d address it and do my part to help.

I am not a professional translator. I do, however, care very much about the projects I take and providing the best subtitles to the best of my ability. But I am also human, sometimes mistakes do occur—I may accidentally skip over a subtitle or my edit doesn’t save because of my wifi issues—and I acknowledge that. No one is perfect.

So, speaking for myself, I don’t mind, in fact, I welcome any messages that ask clarifying questions regarding translations because it shows someone cares about the show as much as me and wants to provide the best subtitles for viewers. It also allows for me to learn and grow as a translator.

I will do my best to answer any questions you have about the source language to English translations and I please ask that you bring up those questions whether it’s a DM in the Viki Inbox or a post in the TD. Don’t be afraid because of some past history you had with English editors. This is how we grow as a community. Furthermore, while you may catch these mistakes and fix them in your own language, the English viewers also deserve the best subtitles and we on the English team also want that for our viewers.

Thank you!

18 Likes

Thank you for all you do for us!!!

Thank you for being open-minded and wanting to learn more! We so appreciate you!!!

7 Likes

Hello, I am also not a professional translator or editor, but I have always wanted the opportunity to join a team that translates from Chinese to English and I have always had this question in mind, when editing or translating I believe there are sometimes where you translate according to the context of the scenario so that it is more understandable, but sometimes this isn’t necessary because you could just translate it literally. For example;

• I once heard (in chinese)“I have never needed” but was subbed as"I don’t need".

• I also heard “doesn’t that mean is was meant for me” but was subbed as “I knew it was for me”

This would be interpretation not translation
In such cases shouldn’t it be edited so that the audience or anyone learning the language might have a more accurate explanation? And only interpret only when needed

4 Likes

Thank you, Darcy!

3 Likes

That’s a good question. And here is my response, sorry it’s a bit long.

Often in translation, there are many aspects to consider. One, the original language and what it is conveying. Two, the language we are translating to and how people who don’t know the source language will understand the sentence. Three, the context behind what is being said, in other words the situation in which the conversation is occurring. And specifically for subtitles, there is limited time and space which needs to be considered. This means it is usually preferable for subtitles to be shorter, while still retaining its meaning.

For the examples you mentioned, without specific context and without fully knowing what the original lines were in Chinese, I can’t quite address it. But I will say that again, for subtitles shorter sentences are generally preferred.

Regarding “translation” vs “interpretation,” this is something very well discussed in translation communities. Many translators will have their own diverse opinions about it and there will probably never be a “correct” answer. Because in reality, you have to balance both and where that line falls is different for everyone.

Through my three years at Viki, I’ve different learned a lot and my translation/editing style has definitely changed over the years. I used to hold a similar opinion to you regarding literal translation; however, over time I began to understand the importance of considering the language I’m translating to, in this case English. If entire conversations were literal translations, it would tiring for the viewer to have to interpret each sentence. The way we speak in Chinese is very different from how we speak in English, and the goal of the translations isn’t for viewers to learn Chinese but to understand what is happening on screen. By using proper English, the meaning is often more effectively communicated.

Also, regarding your interest in translating from Chinese to English. I believe all shows will be coming with English presubs which means Chinese to English translators are not needed. However, if you are interested, NSSA is working on an English Editing Academy which you can be trained as a TE.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I’ll be on the lookout for any news about the English editing academy.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for encouraging us, OL mods, to ask questions and give feedback. Despite our good intentions, many of us have both very good and very bad experience with it. So your words mean a lot :blush:

4 Likes

I have to say that I’m for ever grateful for all that the English team does, as a segger I’m sometimes in awe that you can transform a sometimes confusing English into something OLs can translate to other languages. I have seen you discussing signs and other things that hasn’t previously been translated so I know you do a lot. Thank you for all that you do.

4 Likes

Hi! I’m new to the contributing side of Viki and trying to find my way around. I have a lot of editing experience and would really like to be an editor. Can someone please guide me as to how to do this? Thank you! :smiley:

2 Likes