Podcast related to Viki community members

Here is the intro portion of podcast for my daughter’s linguistics class where I talked about (advertised :wink:) Viki.

• K: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Linguistics 2100. I am your host, xxxxx, and we will be talking about honorifics, specifically in the Korean language. Today, our guest will be my mother: xxxxx. She was born in Korea and moved to the US during middle school and developed an interest in languages. She is fluent in Korean and English, and knows some Spanish, French, and Japanese, even obtaining a second BA degree in Spanish Literature. She worked as an interpreter and a court clerk. Now retired, she volunteers as a translator for a popular K-drama streaming site, Viki, where she has provided over 35,000 subtitles for various shows. Mom, why don’t you tell us a little more about your translating volunteer work?

• C: Sure. I started volunteering at Viki during the COVID lockdown. Even though I can probably work as a paid translator elsewhere, I chose to volunteer my service at Viki because as a volunteer, I can pick and choose the shows I work on. Obviously, as a Korean to English translator, I create English subtitles for Korean shows that come to Viki from the content provider. Sometimes, I am asked to be the Translation Editor for a show to check the correctness of subtitles. Since Viki welcomes volunteers of all linguistic levels, some are not as fluent in the source language or the target language.

11 Likes

and? more please, i wish i could listen to it. i can literally imagine voices in my head. haha

9 Likes

Cool! Thanks for sharing! Now, can we hear the whole thing please?? :smiley:

6 Likes

She said it, not me.

(Although I want it, too.)

4 Likes

@vivi_1485 @stardust2466_546 @damiechan @leerla73 @poeticpeep @aretha

Would you like to have a group chat about the podcast in our volunteer Discord group?

7 Likes

I would be horrified to share any recording of myself, lol. Like @bozoli suggested, I was going to ask if the Discord group might be interested in pursing the idea of podcast.

7 Likes

yes we can discuss that

4 Likes

We could, I’m totally open to being part of one ^^

6 Likes

What will be discussing about in that?

If it’s just a small chitchat, i will join too.

4 Likes

Once you start to talk, you will feel better.
Even I am not very confident with my English, but no one is going to judge you by that, so you can just talk a little and share your thoughts and experience here on Viki.

7 Likes

The podcast would be for international viewers anyway. So speaking slowly would be a must, I should think.

6 Likes

Well, we should get to know each other, and get to know what we’re all interested in. Then we should create a list of topics to discuss. For example, I’m open to discuss anything but politics, but I don’t know if others agree with me or not. Things like that.

If there are people who feel super uncomfortable to speak, but have excellent ideas for topics, please join us as our producers!

8 Likes

I’d have to open up my discord account, back up.
To those feeling less than confident, try it out a little first. Your confidence over time will grow :blush:

6 Likes

Open it up again and come join our madness over there :rofl:

4 Likes

7 Likes

I’m laughing :joy:

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: @someofliz, @bozoli,
Ok! I will! :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

All interested in being part of the Creative Team of this podcast, please first become members of this server:

And then visit our new “channel”:

6 Likes

I asked my daughter about the idea of Viki podcast and she’s all for it, lol. @bozoli, are you thinking about creating it just for the volunteers or will it be open for the viewers?

4 Likes

@bozoli is planning it very well, you need to take a look at that definetely, if you have discord.

first we will record and then edit and post on a public platform where everyone can hear it.

4 Likes