School Drama

Everyone have their likes and dislike actually I am more into very strong storyline when it comes to K- drama. The only K- drama that I do not like and turn my head to the left or south is High School dramas. I just hate them ( I know hate is a strong word to use ) but I honestly don’t like NONE.

The idea of an actress or actor who playing as an high school student is like LMAO when they look so much older ( maybe even College age ) but I know there are some people that love high school dramas.

I was happy to visit Viki today until on the main front screen directly in my eyes was a new High School drama. So today knowing I have NO power to tell Viki NO! I decided to VENT, knowing it make no different.:rage: so this time I am heading to the North Pole to cool down.:airplane: Note: Yes I know no one is forcing me to watch. What dramas do you like or dislike ?

2 Likes

I HATE school dramas bc they are so ridiculous when they have these actor/actress in their 30’s some even older and they put them to play a role of a high school or College student.

Worst yet, lately we have Korean, Chinese and Japanese making school dramas from left to right. They should hire younger actors for the school roles and when they grow up we see rthem as they aged from HS or College.years.

The drama Was IT LOVE? Song Ji Hyo is 39 years old and she played herself in the College years (and all male actors too), and it was so ridiculous as they tried to make them look young but failed miserably. They should stop making those dramas already if they are going to use older individuals unless we blind we won’t see their wrinkles and obvious much older age.

But in all honesty they should give up on school dramas because nothing much in real life happens in College, much less in Asian countries that are so strict when it come to schooling, so these kind of stories are so d*** boring. I only watched Bring it on Ghost with Tacyeon and he looked too old for the role of a College student ( he was in his 30’s). I will never watch a School drama again no matter how much I like the actor or actress.

2 Likes

I wonder if that could have to do with the law? I have no idea about Asia, but at least here underaged actors and musicians are very restricted in at which times and for how long in a row they can perform.

2 Likes

@mirjam_465

I think the main reason is bc they don’t want to pay extra to additional younger actors not bc of their under age bc [Bring it on Ghost] the girl was underage during this drama (I think 16/17 years old only and taceyon was in his 30’s or close to it). The drama was criticized a lot bc they ‘‘kissed’’ but they made such a cute couple, and I loved the drama so much, I overlooked how old he looked for a College student role.

They have done it before in a school drama where the couple during high school were younger actors, and when they ‘‘grow up’’ we had the main actors playing their respective roles. Is too bad I can’ t remember the drama’s title.

3 Likes

Thank you I totally 100% percent agree with all you have said, it’s good to know I am not alone. In how I feel about these school dramas.

1 Like

The drama on the main front screen is ‘Love Revolution’, right?!
Me too, I just despise school dramas and I can’t stand them. They take bullying waaaaay too far and it’s like the teachers are either blind or dead sometimes. I mean come ON graffiti on school walls without a SINGLE school staff member knowing? And there’s ALWAAAAYS this idiotic love triangle ugh
The only mildly school drama worth watching is Go Back Couple, because it’s funny to see the two MLs going back in time to college and judging all the immature kids there. Even Weightlifting Fairy was pretty good. But both of these are college dramas…I’ve yet to actually see a good school drama. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That happens in real life too.

2 Likes

My younger son was bullied/ beat up 5 years ago in a well respected High School over a beautiful girl. In the meeting I had the Board of Education Commissioner, a psychologist, 4 security guards and the Principal of the school. When I saw the garbage we were against (a gang kid that had money$$$) I transferred my son out of that school, in what turned out to be a better High School for him.

Some teachers are disgustingly blind; the Physical Education said he never saw how my son got two chipped front teeth, broken chin and a black eye. The worse part the consequences of what can happen to them if the parents themselves don’t protect their children. We must let our kids know they can tell us everything that happens to them so bullying don’t become part of their life and a story in dramas (some with terrible consequences).

1 Like

If it’s less a “school drama” and more a suspense “Come and Hug Me” had younger actors playing the couple in high school. “Thirty But Seventeen” had younger actors, as well. I think all the “School” series of dramas had the actors playing their younger selves so it’s not those. I do watch a lot of school dramas (and like them) but honestly can’t recall another one that had different “younger selves” acting the high school parts.

1 Like

I actually like high school dramas though some are obviously better than others. Of course I also like some suspense, fantasy, romance, comedy… I tend to dislike horror shows or things that are too over-the-top, though if it’s a good plot I may watch and just skip scenes I don’t like. I’m pretty easy going!

2 Likes

I generally do like stories (be it dramas or books or whatever) that take place in a school (or university), but I agree with the others that in some cases the actors look way too old for the character that they play.
Oh, and I love horror! :scream::wink:

2 Likes

I don’t know why they won’t hire younger actors either, and why not do a school drama with kids who are in lower grades or age 7- 10. They seen to use much younger child actor between that age in other normal drama. For example in a Crime drama ( DEFENDANT ) with killing and blood they use this wonderful child actress name Shin Rin A who play the child of the great actor Ji Sung that child had a big part in it.

Also drama FATAL PROMISE they use a young child actor and that drama it is also surrounded with evil killing. Both of the drama I mention are wonderful. And there are other modern day or historical dramas with child actors. I am sure they have laws and parents approval.

But these School drama that Koreans have been doing and constant showing actors that we all know is much older than high school age need an over haul and other words STOP. :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: Enough Already.

2 Likes

Now that you mention it … horror movie Train To Busan has a little girl playing quite a big role in it.

1 Like

I am so happy that as a parent you stood up for your son being bullied. These people act like they are blind and see no evil, and also will look the other way if you are a family of lower class and not upper class. You did the right thing getting your child out of that school I sure mentally he’s a better student.:+1:

1 Like

I have yet to watch “Train To Busan” I have it on my list to watch on my Netflix. And yes I have notice a child in it. I think I will watch this weekend.

1 Like

I don’t really hate any kind of drama.
I guess it is easier to follow the story when the adult actors take on the kid’s role, so there is no need to verify who is who …
Usually when the childhood part is longer, 1-5 episodes they tend to take child actors but for short intros, retrospective views, they often use the older actors so there is no introduction needed.

I don’t mind it that much because in theaters or stage production adult actors often play “children”, so I do not have any reservations about it. I can understand that some may not like it, but honestly I do not mind it.

In the past I have watched some school dramas but in a bit if you avoid those with horror and crime, which I do it is kind of too repetitive and that is probably the only reason I do not really follow them that much. If you ask me about the last school drama I have watched … I don’t remember … University, yes but school I don’t know, I would need to look up my list.

If there is a drama I am out right from the get go, it would be horror, massive violence and makjang.

2 Likes

We have it here on Viki too … unless it’s not licensed in your area?

1 Like

Well, the guy with a lot of money and bully was a drug dealer in that High School that’s the kind of $$$ he had and he was a low class going to a good school with dirty money.

I took my son out of that school before a tragedy happened bc I raised my son a wimp, and he didn’t fight back. If it wasn’t bc he was so hurt in the face, I would never have known he was been bullied. He went to another HS that offered Football; his favorite sport and met the most wonderful friends and they go to same College until the virus interrupted everything.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what makes it so hard to watch for me. I see it in real life too a lot, that’s why

1 Like

I agree. As long as you can follow the story it’s not bad. I actually recently went back and watched “Master of Study” (total afterschool special drama but I still like it) that doesn’t show them as adults and all the actors are very close in age to the characters they are playing. I went back to watch it because I realized “Moorim School” had one of the actors as a child and I couldn’t figure out who he was until I re-watched! I kind of want to go back and watch “Rebel Detectives” - it’s a bit silly and was one of those very short 10-15 min episode shows (with a part 1 and 2) and the first season at least they were very young (I think high school age) in it. As long as it’s not horror…