✂️ Seggers... understanding the timing complexities of A&C (Part 1)

If there are any seggers out there who would like some additional insight into the concept of “well timed” and all its implications from an A&C perspective, this Google presentation that I’ve put together may help.

To get the proverbial “show on the road” :performing_arts:, click on the “Slideshow” option on the upper right of the cover page.

I hope it’s useful :slight_smile:
Manganese

P.S. I’ve now completed Part 2 of “Well-Timed Segments”

15 Likes

I’m impressed how much time and effort all you old segmenters put on us who wants to learn or become god at segmenting.

5 Likes

I would like to watch this, but it’s not working for me.
I’ll try later on with my laptop ._.

Edit: well done :white_check_mark::+1:
Great effort for newbies to get better and improve

2 Likes

@manganese Great job except I would change "9. If it is impossible to find a timing that works well create a new segment and delete the old one. Copy any subtitles into the new segment " to
“9: If it is impossible to find a timing that works well, copy any subtitle already in the existing segment, delete the old one and create a new segment. Paste the saved subtitle into the new segment.”
My major fear about allowing novice segmenters to do A & C work is the loss of existing subtitles. This presumes there are ONLY English subtitles so copying and pasting one subtitle is easy.

3 Likes

Thank you for having a look through the presentation. I sincerely appreciate it. I completely agree with you. In trying to be economical with my words, I’ve definitely not given enough information. I’ll go and update it now. Thanks again.

4 Likes

I highly recommend watching this video clip :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:.

It is an excellent video on how to check segment timing. This is especially important now that Viki has so many A&C and "Adjust timing only " segmenting projects.

P.S. If anyone knows who assembled this, please let me know who it was either in this thread or by a personal message. I would really like to write to the person and say ‘thank you.’

2 Likes

@manganese
The video was created and narrated by AmyPun, one of the founders of Ninja Academy.

And check your message. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ I also make that type of mistake often dictating to myself with the wrong homonym, but when someone else does that it flies off the screen and hits me in the eye!

3 Likes

Hahahaha! :sweat_smile: I should have used “write”. My ability to embarrass myself never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for spotting that @cgwm808 :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for the name, too. I’ll send Amy a message. (I hope your eye is okay!)

P.S. That’s an amazing coincidence. I was just watching “Healer” two days ago and admiring Amy’s CS work (I noticed that you were CE, too. It’s a great show. My thanks to you and your team for the subs.)

3 Likes

Don’t be embarrassed. It’s a common thing under both natives and non-natives, usually people who very well know the right spelling. I guess it’s just because English (probably more than most other languages) has so many words with the same (or a similar) sound but different spelling (and vice versa) and when our brains are sort of on automatic mode, we might easily type the wrong option without realizing it. You don’t want to know how often I’ve (almost) typed “good” instead of “could.” :joy: I initially thought it was just me, but once I noticed even native speakers did it, I figured it’s not that unusual.
That reminds me. Back in high school, we learned this sentence:

They’re there in their car.

In Dutch, it might happen occasionally, but not that much and in Finnish, I can hardly imagine it happening at all cause Finnish spelling is extremely consistent. So it’s just the language that causes it and not so much the person using it.

I must admit I wasn’t always happy with all of the videos I had to watch for the NSSA at the time because often, the narrator was talking too fast and when there was text instead of talking, it often distracted from what I was supposed to see and I didn’t feel like pausing every 3 seconds.
This is one of the exceptions. Pleasant, calm voice that supplements what you see instead of distracting you from it.

2 Likes

Hi Mirjam.

It’s good to see you. I appreciate that “there, there” pat on the back. Thanks :grin:

I often make silly mistakes and I’m only an average proofreader when it comes to my own work. I’ve learnt to live with my lacklustre abilities and after all these decades, I recover from embarrassment fairly quickly.

That’s interesting about Finnish. I wish English were like that.

I was very impressed with the clarity of the Segment Timing video, too. Amy explains things very clearly. That was why I posted it. It was too good not to share with others :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

By the way, I have seen could/good a few times during my teaching so you are not alone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Should anyone read through this thread and wish to know more about being a Chief Segmenter, I have created a thread that may be of interest…

1 Like