✂ Thoughts on being a Chief Segmenter

These days, there seems to be more shows arriving on Viki than there are segmenters to work on them.

I have put together this Googledoc for anyone who might be interested in being a Chief Segmenter (CS), and who would like to have some thoughts on how to approach the role. (If you have been heavily involved with “adjust-only” projects, it is not a big step to become a CS for these projects.)

• The index at the start of the document is hyperlinked.
  • The Summary section outlines the process that I have settled into.
  • The Background Understanding section explains my various quality-checking strategies more fully.
18 Likes

I have no plans what so ever to become a CS at this time, but I still think your “series on segmenting” are interesting, and I think it’s fantastic that you have put so much time and effort on making them.

8 Likes

Thanks, Maria :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Thanks, Noel. At least this year, a few more segmenters have taken the step to become a CS and we still have the NSSA regularly providing us with a new batch of segmenters. But it’s true that a lot of people need some encouragement.

Someday, I will apply to be in your segmenting team. :crystal_ball:

9 Likes

Thank you, Noel, your guides are always so well curated.
In my experience a great way to start is to co-CS with an experienced CS. If it wasn’t for Chloé guiding me as co-CS in my 1st project, I don’t think I would have went for it on my own. I think QC isn’t that different from A&C, but it’s nice to have someone help you recruit a team, show you how they organize their QC spreadsheet, and always ready to reply to any doubt you might have.

10 Likes

Thank you, Baepsae :slight_smile: I totally agree. Working with a co-CS is a really good way to start. Chloé is very generous with her time. She’s helped a lot of people grow into various segging roles.

Hi Mirjam. :smiley: Hopefully this document will help people realise that being a CS isn’t so hard. Who knows, maybe it will encourage somebody to take the plunge!

8 Likes

:+1:
Well explained
:blush:
Thanks for making everything so easy to understand for us segmenters

7 Likes

For me, it was that movie that no one else seemed to want to QC. I did think of becoming a CS at some point, but that sped up the process a whole lot. I was on my own, without segmenters or co-CS, but in a way, it was good cause I had to pay attention and solve each issue on my own so I learned a lot. And because it was not a popular show, I wasn’t under too much time pressure. One thing led to another and I got into more shows as CS, mostly with segmenters and occasionally also with a co-CS. Having a co-CS can be great at any stage, to divide the work, have someone to discuss issues with and overall, because it’s more cozy. :wink:
A&C is great training for aspiring CSs.

I’m sure it will encourage a few more segmenters to dive into it. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That’s a great doc, Noel! :wave: Very professional. I think it is good for any experience level in segmenting, not just for the Chief Segmenter role.

8 Likes

Hi Cindy,
Thank you for having a look. I really appreciate it :hugs:

6 Likes