SEGMENTERS PLEASE VISIT HERE! Some Helpful Advice for Current and Potential Aspiring Segmenters

I’m a little concerned about the duck in the steamy bath scene not being clothed. Any you, Amy … are skinnier than I had imagined!

Hi Cruiser:

Yes, maybe the duck should duck a little lower, exposing less skin.

Despite I’m skinny, I’m willing to bath for Ninja Academy. So current and new segmenters out there, please come and visit our page and see if our program is suitable for you!

2 Likes

DEAREST READERS AND SEGMENTERS:

IT’S DECEMBER 24 IN CANADA AND DECEMBER 25 IN OTHER PLACES AROUND THE WORLD.

WISHING YOU ALL A JOYFUL CHRISTMAS AND A PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.

WITH LOVE,

AMY…p(^_^)q

2 Likes

1 Like

MISCONCEPTIONS OF A QC/CHIEF SEGMENTER:

Hello my avid readers and fellow segmenters:

How was your New Years so far? I hope you had a fun time and enjoyed spending quality time with your family and friends.

Recently on many channel cover pages, you might have came across a position called QC/Chief Segmenter. Have you ever wondered what are Chief Segmenters and how they stand out from other segmenters?

The Chief Segmenter position can be misleading to segmenters. In general, Chief Segmenters are quality checkers who will fix any segments necessary to make the viewing experience better. They would ideally only need to make minor edits, such as slightly editing the timing, splitting longer segments and combining shorter segments. However, there are times when a Chief Segmenter may notice a segmenter consistently has the timing off or needs to extend segments longer. In these cases, some Chief Segmenters may notify the segmenter who made the cuts and give suggestions or requests to fix their segments in the future. Segmenters shouldn’t be discouraged by these notifications. The hope is that the segmenter will improve rather than continue to make the same errors. This way, the Chief Segmenter will not spend countless hours editing segments when the original contributor could have more easily adjusted their segmenting. In on-air dramas especially, it is very important that parts are initially segmented well for subbers to easily fill in subtitles, because there is not very much time to quality check the segments before subbers need to begin.

If the Chief Segmenter lends a helping hand or gives feedback, please try to understand their position and effort in providing you advice to improve. Just remember that the criticism is never a personal character review and is only meant to be helpful.

On the other hand, it is totally understandable if one (segmenter) is quite “shocked” to get some feedback/advice about one’s segments “out of the blue,” such as when the project is just about to finish, especially as the chance to improve might be limited if the project is about to end soon. As a Chief Segmenter, in order to prevent any misunderstandings later on, it might be helpful to discuss/state certain things in the beginning.

For instance:

1. What is expected of the segmenter at the time feedback is sent?

Some possibilities of when feedback is sent:

• In the beginning of a drama/project ( for instance after 2-4 Eps)
  • In the middle of a drama, “half-time” (for instance a drama that has 20 Episodes in total -> so the “half time” would be some feedback after 10 Episodes)
  • In the end of the drama/project
  1. In which way will the feedback be presented?

Some possibilities:

• General feedback & tips (certain segments or parts won’t be referred to) that includes some things the Chief Segmenter noticed.

• Detailed feedback: certain segments, parts will be pointed out, there might be some screenshots or other helpful methods included in order to present the feedback.

• Mix of general and detailed feedback

To sum it up: It is like setting/introducing the “game rules” so that everyone knows how the “QC Chief Segmenter rolls” and won’t be surprised/shocked later on. This is just a suggestion though.

If you are ever uncertain about your segments, it would be appreciated if you ask for feedback, try to self-improve, or seek help to improve so you can provide quality contributions to your channels. That way, you would feel proud of you achievements as a “qualified contributor” and not just bear the name.

In my channels, the role of a Chief Segmenter is to periodically check up on segmenting work. The Chief Segmenter would offer advice to anyone whose quality declined over time. That way, the segmenters would be aware and learn to self-correct to improve, meeting the channels’ demand and standard. However, if the segmenters’ quality declined too much and they are reluctant to make adjustments, I will kindly ask them to halt segmenting in the current project, improve their quality through accumulated experience and consult again when they think they have improved.

Hopefully my essay today have cleared up your misconceptions about QC Check and you would have better respect for their time and effort for maintaining good segment quality for the Subbers to work with. Their work is similar to that of the Editors who try their best to maintain good subtitle quality for our dedicated viewers.

Amy…p(^_^)q

6 Likes

NINJA SEGGING AND SUBBING ACADEMY

Dear followers of my Discussion Board:

Have you ever wondered what it goes on behind the scenes before the video is ready for your viewing? A lot of work and effort from experienced contributors goes into it before the video is completely ready for viewing. First, the video is uploaded by Viki, then it needs to be segmented, subbed and also edited before the episode is complete.

When segmenters in a channel create consistently good quality segments, the subtitling process is faster, which is important in on-air dramas. Good quality segments have accurate timing and appropriate lengths, but it can be difficult to learn well on your own.

Ninja Segging and Subbing Academy is currently accepting and training students in the Ninja sandbox. Once you pass the Sandbox stage, you will be referred into the academy where you will be focusing on learning particular skills for a variety of languages. This new segmenting program is taught by experienced veteran segmenters who are popular and well-known, currently segmenting on multiple K-drama and T-drama channels.

This is a mindmap that indicates the learning pathway:

We also offer subbing/editing training for English to English, Mandarin/Chinese to English, and Korean to English.

For more information you can visit the discussion forum: http://discussions.viki.com/t/ninja-segging-subbing-academy/1090

You may post any questions or queries on here or over there and we can answer all of that for you.

Alternatively, you may look for more information on our channel and also post questions in the comment section.

You can also PM Chizzygirl our moderator for specific questions about our program.

Please follow our channel for the closest updates of our academy: http://www.viki.com/tv/1863c-ninja-segging-subbing-academy

Thank you so much for your time,
The Masters At NSSA

5 Likes

How do you split an episode?

@Haiqa

As far as I’m aware (correct me if I’m wrong), only videos on licensed channels get split. (Someone at Viki does this when they add the video.) If you’re on a licensed channel and the videos aren’t split up, you can message the help center about it.

For fan channels, if you’d like shorter videos to work with, you’d probably have to split them before uploading.

1 Like

Thank you.

THANK YOU VIKI FOR YOUR COMMUNITY STORY GIFT

Extremely grateful to Viki’s kindness and thoughtfulness for sending me this delightful present for my Viki Community Story:

It’s a cucumber facial mask from Korea and an AUTOGRAPH signed by SUNNY WANG!

Thank you so much for helping me expand my Viki Gift Collection…

In this upcoming Year of the Horse, I will try my best to put forth my best effort on my projects, particularly NINJA SEGGING & SUBBING ACADEMY!

Best,
Amy…p(^_^)q

3 Likes

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL MY AVID FOLLOWERS AND READERS. PLEASE LOOK FORWARD TO NEW SEGMENTING TIPS IN THE NEAR FUTURE p(^_^)q

2 Likes

I am in the list for the ninja academy but saw today that my name was passed and haven’t contact me. Is there any reasons for that?

Hi,

Just sent a pm to you.

Thanks for all your helpful tips and advice. We are grateful of your generous sharing of knowledge with us all.

1 Like

Are you interested in becoming a segmenter? Segmenters time every line of dialogue at viki. Please watch this fun video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ab7gqbcddU

PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR HOMEPAGE FOR MORE DETAILS

3 Likes

`
did anyone ever segment a youtube video using Opera Next?
in my opinion, it’s better than chrome :wink:

1 Like

I tried both… opera lags… chrome is more in synch

Hi Rhu_di:

I think this Ninja Segging and Subbing Academy blog article about Compatibility of different browsers with segment timer will interest you:

http://ninjaacademyatviki.blogspot.ca/2014/05/segment-timer-and-browsers.html

Please feel free to experiment and see if your findings are similar to ours.

Best,
Amy…

1 Like

I have a question. I signed up for Ninja Segging & Subbing Academy and started my segmenting training. The training has now been put on hold because I have a run into a problem that my teacher could not solve. For some reason, I am unable to use any of the keyboard shortcuts. I am unable to make perfect segments due to this. I was wondering if you had any advice to give me. I use Google Chrome & a mac computer.