SEGMENTERS PLEASE VISIT HERE! Some Helpful Advice for Current and Potential Aspiring Segmenters

For those Vikians who are genuinely interested in Segmenting and want to contribute to VIKI as a segmenter on a long term basis… Here are the links to Segmenter 101 and Express 101, where you could ask for availability in hopes to be admitted into the program…

Segmenter 101
http://www.viki.com/tv/723c-the-segmenter-101-project

Express 101
http://www.viki.com/tv/2048c-the-seg101-express

Below is the general comparison between the two programs so you would know which route is more suitable for you before you apply…

1 Like

it’s a video that i made few month ago about segmenting.
i not make a perfect segment and it’s not good way to segment too since my earphone almost never get off. but hopefully there’s somethin good about it :slight_smile:

http://youtu.be/wARAWMuUhdY

video itself was hardsub but i use voice as my guide. and lately i just realized that i comfortable watch video with subtitle 0.1 earlier

My advice for hardsubs is to depend on the audio and the visual hardsubs at the same time. The hardsubs help but segmenting based on the audio makes it more precise. Also sometimes the hardsubs are not timed as precisely as they could be (sometimes starting a bit before/after the person actually speaks). I always use the ‘replay’ function to recheck segments!

2 Likes

Focusing on both audio and hardsubs at the same time drives me crazy. The times I had to segment a HS video I always asked whether they wanted me to seg according to the audio or the HS. So far it has all been HS so I switch of the sound and only check it with sound once at the end to see if I didn’t combine voices by mistake.

Maybe some don’t have trouble to focus on both at the same time though.
But next to seg101 videos I never segged HS since I don’t help out in fanchannels for various reasons and licensed content doesn’t have hardsubs most of the time.

The good part I like about your video was you went back to readjust… the draw back is you didn’t check for synchronization and end the segment immediately the voice ended…we need to provide extra time for viewers to see the hardsubs, therefore extending the end and use continuous cuts would be better…

I know you are a good segmenter and all good segmenters would not reject constructive feedback to further improve their skills, I hope you would accept my suggestions.

Below is an annotated video about cutting hardsubs…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbswNjn2iCw

This is the non-annotated one about cutting hardsubs…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK68qq5oQlQ

1 Like

Hi jwindsong:

Thanks for sharing your segmenting experience with us. I remember RoxieHar showed me this 3 months ago to prove her point where segmenting to the Hardsubs is not always the best idea…

http://subber.viki.com/subtitlers/170751

http://www.viki.com/videos/170751v-shang-shu-fang-the-princes-study-episode-24

As you could readily see in the video above, the segments were cut exactly to the hardsubs. Hence the voice was heard before the hardsub appeared on screen, making the segments late.

In an extreme case like the one above, where the discrepancy in timing between the voice and hardsub is large, I would chose to segment by voice throughout the video and ignore the hardsub…

However, for most Taiwanese dramas, the hardsubs and voice are often synchronized quite well. Hence I would choose to segment by the Hardsub using continuous cuts to minimize flash gaps, maximizing its on screen appearance…

To me, the method you choose at the beginning, you must stick to it until the very end. If you switch between Hardsub and Voice in the same video, it’s more challenging, energy consuming and confusing, increase your tendency for errors to occur…

I hope my advice helps you clarify how to segment hardsubs and would be useful to you and others too.

1 Like

From my experience, many Korean Drama segmenters like myself who doesn’t understand Korean tend to have difficulty determining appropriate length for split and combine of segments… Today I want to share with everyone some advice about determining where to begin and end segments for Korean drama…

Cgwm808 shares some additional tips for cutting based on sentence enders or beginners and words you may hear:

You know, of course, that there are several “styles” or “levels of speech” in Korean so knowing the relationship of the speakers is very helpful in knowing what are sentence enders.

When I am cutting, I am looking for sentence enders – the most common are:

“polite form” – ahyo and eoyo (sound the eo like the au in aura)

“honorific form” – nida (declarative sentence) and nikka (question) (usually used to address persons of higher position or older, public speaking)

“intimate” – ah and eo (that is, the yo, is dropped from polite) (used between people who have known each other as peers a long time or within a family relationship)

common declarative sentence enders – -noonde; -jana (sometimes subbed as "you know’), -godeun (because)

Sentence beginners:
person’s name (someone is being addressed), gurigo (Also, And), gonikka (So), guraedo (then), guraeso (so then), gureona (But, however), gureondae (Well, Anyway), goonde (by the way)

Clause ender or beginner:
hajiman (but, although, however), -myon (if, when), -eoseo / -aseo (because, after).
List enumerator -hago (and) – if the person seems to be listing stuff listen for the hago to break up the list.

Pauses between Sentences

Sometimes, it’s quite difficult to determine whether we should split a segment based on breaks between sentences or ignore the break and cut the segment as a longer segment. Cgwm808 suggests that it’s acceptable to combine shorter segments that have approximately 1.0 to 1.5 seconds of silence between the words said by the same speaker. Beyond that, you may need to depend on your best judgment. There are often instances despite there are a number of pauses for which other segmenters would split the segments, experienced segmenters would combine them. These experienced segmenters could do so mainly from listening to the rise and fall of the voices to determine beginning and end of sentences. According to Mihaelagh, the honorifics mentioned above helps to spot the end of sentences. If the dialogue is not too verbose, we don’t have to split the sentence, we can wait until we hear suffices like “yo”, “mida”, “nikka” before we end the segment. That should ensure sufficient length and accuracy of the segment.

8 Likes

thank you for all the info amypun
i really cant wait for be a part of the segmenting 101 courses, but there seems to be quite a long waiting list.
in the meantime, i will follow all tips and do my best
thanks so much for the thread.

You are very welcome Jenismiranda. I’m glad you find my thread useful. If you have any questions about the material posted here, feel free to leave a message here or PM me, I will try to help you out the best I can.

Best of luck to your segmenting and being admitted into Seg101 soon.

Nice!! u did a great post Amy!!!

Thanks AmyPun for your dedication and effort in putting together lots of tips and advice for aspiring segmenters.

I segmented a hardsubbed Chinese drama and the hardsubs and voice was not synchronized and off by a few seconds. So I went with the voice rather then the hardsubs.

I will continue to segment following your tips and advice.

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Thanks Kuyurmi for your support. Feel free to spread the link to your friends who want to learn segmenting too!

Thanks Pelicancharm for your kind support. Feel free to post any questions you may have and I will try to address them to the best of my abilities for you!

Fighting with your segmenting!
Amy p(^_^)q

1 Like

lol Amy I don’t have any friend here lol since I don’t talk/write too much lol I mean I know people by they are already experienced seggers or subbers :smiley: but sure!! I’m going to spread the word.

Kuyurmi, you do have friends, I’m definitely your friend =D…

Feel free to PM me more when you have time and I’m always around to chat :wink:

Thanks for spreading your word, deeply appreciated =)

Lately, I’ve heard many people experienced lagging issue with the segment timer for official VIKI licensed dramas. Today, I have a little tip from my experience that I want to share with you, hopefully it could help you resolve this lagging issue…

To me, the most accurate browser for beta-segmenting is Google Chrome. It’s fast and reliable at the same time. However, there is one little glitch. Chrome browser has an already built-it adobe flash, therefore, if you have another version of flash installed on your operating system, they would clash.

Don’t worry as I’m about to teach you the trick to overcome this technical barrier…

In Chrome://plugins, please disable Macromed Flash and enable Pepperflash just like the image below…

Now refresh your browser and go into segment timer to check that it’s in HTML5 mode. HTML5 is the fastest, most accurate for segmenting. It also minimizes lag, ensuring that both your sound and picture would be synchronized, delivering most accurately timed segments.

In the picture above, where it’s boxed in yellow, if you see Switch to Flash Player, it means you are currently in HTML5 mode and in the correct version of the segment timer. Please segment in this version. However, if it says Switch to HTML5 Player, it means you are in Flash right now. Please left click on the Switch to HTML5 Player button to switch back to HTML5 format for smoother segmenting experience.

Lastly, if it still doesn’t load… try the other way around. Please disable pepperflash and enable Macromed Flash… refresh the Chrome Browser then segment in HTML5 format. Whichever way is more suitable to your computer system, use it.

Hopefully my little tips of advice would help you resolve the lagging issue on your computer system.

Best of Luck with your segmenting!
Amy…

2 Likes

I’m gonna try this Amy,… Ah, browser matters! For me, using Chrome has caused lots of ‘late’ segments’ so far. As always Amy… nice job! Thank you so much.

Lately I have noticed that in Chrome the timeline “coasts” about two tenths when I hit pause (f). Do you see this?

LOL…chizzygirl. I think I am of those one. To do it right, somehow I have to wait the right moment where there’s no disturbance of whatsoever in mind…so, then segmenting can be a fun thing rather than makes you dizzy.

This is pretty helpful for Korean for sure! Do you have any suggestions of Taiwanese or Chinese?