Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

(SNL)
Who remembers these old segments from SNL? Well, today I have some random thoughts on C-dramas. You know what drives me crazy about these wonderful dramas? It’s the fact that production insists upon augmenting nearly all the sounds in each episode. Today I was watching a C-drama where the car was literally pulling out of a parking space and you could hear the ignition turning over! It was seriously out of sync! It was almost completely out of the parking space and then the engine was started. WOW! It’s happened multiple times in this drama so far. Also, I was watching another C-drama a few days ago; it took place in a carpeted office. You could clearly hear the sound of shoes clacking across the floor. It was a serious scene but when I heard the shoe sounds on carpet, I actually laughed out loud.
Thanks for reading my deep/random thoughts. Follow me for more tips. LOL!
That is all. Carry on.

4 Likes

The shoe-clacking sound is definitely out of control in nearly any C-drama.

4 Likes

I don’t know I somehow get some nice feeling after coming here. Like very seriously opening topics and reading is giving me a shot of dopamine… :weary::sob:
I think I made a wrong decision to not come here.
Now I’ll try to get back my regular status.

6 Likes

We’ll be happy to have you back more regularly.

2 Likes

Day in and out I used to camp here :smiling_face_with_tear:
I think I should bring that back. I will though :heart:

3 Likes

@padmalayag,
:blush: :wink:
In case you’re wondering, where is everyone?

!Viki Unofficial Community ■■■■■■■
!■■■■■■■ and viki volunteers
!Podcast related to Viki community members

3 Likes

No, I came here from there. LOL.

2 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

so y’all come back!! I miss you!!

2 Likes

Howdy,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything on the Viki discussion board. Just want to say that it has just been an insane, insane spring and summer in Western New York where I live.

Of course it’s also been insane for those in the Viki-verse who live in Canada (the largest unincorporated territory of the United States). And up and down the East Coast of the United States. And across the globe in Norway.

Oh, and let’s not forget people experiencing earth quakes in the Pacific. I’m just waiting for another blowout like Krakatoa in the 1800s and some sort of super-tsunami.

Oh, and lets not forget member of the Viki-verse who have loved ones in Ukraine and Russia.

Life has just been crazy for humanity, and craziness can be distracting.

My neighborhood in Rochester is a modest neighborhood built in the early 1900s by George Eastman for workers at Kodak. It’s an ethnically diverse neighborhood. My neighbors are solidly working and lower and middle-class folks. People are generally friendly to each other and watch out for each other.

However, since Memorial Day, I cannot count the number of times I have been wakened in the middle of the night by the sound of fireworks, the signal that folks selling drugs are either out on their front porches or sitting in a car somewhere, ready to distribute. Food insecurity (especially for women, children, the elderly, and people of color) continues to be a problem in the city that was the home of Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony.

Life just sucks right now for everybody, and there have been days when the suckiness has been distracting and depressing.

Asian dramas (K-dramas especially) have continued to provide me with some timely reminders about what is valuable in life and why those things are worth holding onto. So important because they are not currently being promoted as important by anyone on a national level.

From my perspective, American culture continues to teeter on the edge of collapse because our national identity no longer includes the concept of “E Pluribus Unum” or “out of many, one.”

Asian cultures, though wary of Western cultures, strike me as much more willing to embrace different viewpoints and treat strangers like family. There are times when I am watching Viki (or that other streaming platform, Net-Flix [apparently a banned word in several forms], and I want to go live in Korea simply so I can have neighbors who understand the value of putting others first and saying, “I’m sorry, I was wrong.”

I hope that people in the Viki Community are doing well and keeping safe, wherever you may be. And that’s because, contrary to the opinion of powermongers everywhere, your life and your presence on planet Earth are priceless and irreplaceable.

(Giphy)

7 Likes

Misswillowinlove, I also have missed you,

yes if you go to my other links you will see I have put a lot of positive stuff on there with exactly what you said. We do count! priceless and irreplaceable!!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

5 Likes

. A lot of my clothes came from walmart, target, thrift stores or hand made If you had a pool you were KING of the block, otherwise you played in a sprinkler to stay cool.

Eating out at a restaurant was a huge deal that only happened for very special occasions. Fast food was a bologna/ham or PB&J sandwich to take outside in the yard. Eating ice cream was a treat on a hot day. We had the ice cream truck. You took your school clothes off as soon as you got home and put on your play clothes. We had to do our homework before being allowed outside to play. If your momma worked, you were a latch key kid. nobody paid for daycare.

We ate dinner at the table. We went to school everyday. Our phone hung on the wall in the kitchen and had a long cord, there was no private conversation or cell phones! We played Mother May I, Hopscotch, Cops and Robbers, 1,2,3 Not It, Red Light Green Light, Red Rover, Hide & Seek, Truth or Dare, Tag, Baseball, Kick Ball, Dodge Ball, and rode bikes. Girls could spend hours playing Barbies or house. Boys played football in the street, basket ball in the school yard and jumped their bikes with scrap wood ramps.

Children were seen and not heard. Staying in the house was a punishment and the only thing we knew about “bored”— “You better find something to do before I find it for you!” We ate what mom made for dinner or we ate nothing at all. There was no bottled water; we drank from the tap or the water hose (warm).

We watched cartoons on Saturday mornings and rode our bikes for hours and ran around in the streets until dark (the street lights came on). We weren’t AFRAID OF ANYTHING.

School was mandatory and teachers were people who you could TRUST and respect. We watched our MOUTHS around our elders because ALL of our Aunts, Uncles, Grandpas and Grandmas AND our Parents best friends were also our PARENTS (they COULD & WOULD WHOOP US) and you didn’t want them telling your PARENTS if you misbehaved. These were the good ole days. Kids today will never know how it feels to be a real kid. I loved my childhood…!!!

Kids these days will never understand how we grew up!!!

Copy & paste if this was close to your childhood.

3 Likes

Don’t need to copy and paste. It was definitely my childhood! And we played so much in the sprinkler during the summer!

(Giphy)

3 Likes

Many odd subs here and there for Designated Survivor: 60 Days on Net-Flax (how many ways can that word get slipped by the Viki censor-bots). Probably the translators were under a lot of pressure to get their work done.

3 Likes

This gif says it all. :heart: It!

I think of reincarnation due to the many watched shows here, and think, :upside_down_face::frowning::upside_down_face: it’s been the longest time of the guillotine for chickens. Those who think to come back as a white chicken has it the worst, in this time.

That gif chicken is literally on tippy toes, stretching it’s neck to give a hug! :worried: Wow!

2 Likes

good idea!! Nfx, Net flax!!!

I went to the cinema today I honestly don’t remember when I went the last time… it was a Japanese classic from 1968 but I realized that as a segmenter and subtitler it was a bit frustrating to see different text and not having anything that explained or translated it. We are so lucky that everything is told that needs a segment of translation. It was nice going out but I’m more of a snuggling on the sofa with my pets whilst watching than in a room full of people.

2 Likes

I relate to this post on so many levels!

Onscreen text with no subs? Boo! :-1:

Staying in versus going out? Yay! :+1:

Glad you enjoyed it, though. Getting out once in a blue moon is nice. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

6 Likes

ok we got too much seriousness here, so how about cake & coffee??

////////////////////////////////////////////could use this one for a bridal shower

aawwwwwww they blocked out FB

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

how about a watermelon cake?? real watermelon here

enough for today

6 Likes