Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

But it looks like a historical one, we were talking about this and another thing in common is that both shows belong to 2016-2017 but not a clue

2 Likes

So glad you are enjoying F4 Thailand, @sweetybirdtoo. I will be interested to read your thoughts on the drama.The Korean BOF was my first exposure to this story and also one of my first K Dramas, so It has a special place for me. I think each of the different versions of this storyline has their own charms, and I have enjoyed watching them all. Korea went for a more campy/OTT vibe with a lot of humor and I still enjoy watching clips of the drama every so often. That said, I am loving this Thai version and the changes they have made to make the story fresh and update it for the current audience. The FL character in this version is my favorite-I just love her! And the actress who plays her is so cute. I’m also enjoying Bright’s performance as ML. Win is great as Kavin, too. I wasn’t familiar with those guys before F4 Thailand. Show’s commentary on class, status, and bullying has been really interesting to me so far and I’m liking the more realistic vibe. I wish more people would give the drama a chance. I’m also gaining new insights and respect for the show creators after listening to the F4 Obsessed Review & Analysis Show on YouTube. They discuss each episode through mythology and symbolism. It’s so interesting. Here is link to their Playlist : F4 Obsesssed: A Deep Dive Playlist

4 Likes

Some of the more popular historical kdramas from 2016 include:
Hwarang
Mirror of the Witch
Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
Love in the Moonlight
Six Flying Dragons

The ones I do know from this list don’t seem to fit the theme on the bag as far as I can tell.

3 Likes

For #3
Perhaps it is Korean Drama Kingmaker: The Change of Destiny?
Drama was also known as Wind, Cloud, and Rain
Male lead is a fortune teller/face reader who is trying to put a new king on the throne, so that would tie into the image of the throne and the wind reference.
However, this drama was not a blockbuster drama like the other 2, and no mention of any “five regions.”

Maybe it is a Chinese Drama?

Nirvana In Fire- this was huge hit drama in 2015 and also has a plot of male lead trying to help prince get on the throne. Nothing about winds or “five regions” though.

Good Luck!

6 Likes

GOODNESS “five regions” is bothering me a lot now!! I thought it was talking about Korea’s kingdoms but then I realized there were a max of three kingdoms at one time.
Do you think it could be xianxia? Demon Realm, Heavenly Realm, Earthly Realm, ummm
 don’t know if there are more than that lol

7 Likes

That phrase bothers me too. I feel like the answer is right in front of my face, but I can’t reach it.

I have watched some Cdramas that make reference to things like the ‘East Sea’, and maybe something from the north too, so my first gut reaction was that it was referring to something like that. Or, if memory serves me, there was talk about visiting a bunch of regions in the Cdrama “Legend of Fuyao”.

Ooo, ooo, I just went and reread the synopsis for “legend of Fuyao” and it specifically mentions that the FL has “to collect the secret talismen from five kingdoms that will gain her entry into a sacred land called the Firmament”. The only thing I don’t know now is if there is something about the wind in that drama.

9 Likes

I’ve been thinking it’s probably a Cdrama too, partially because of the 5 regions. I keep searching dramas in google images to see if I can find something that looks like the throne & round medallion/symbol thing, no luck so far.

7 Likes

I think that third one is Korean Odyssey. Journey
To the west.

6 Likes

Wow that sound pretty interesting, I’ll look out for this show

3 Likes

Maybe, we were looking for a Korean drama since the 1 and 2 are Korean, but maybe is Chinese

5 Likes

Wow, that sounds right. I haven’t watched Fuyao
It’s on my list, I think that I need to watch it now lol

6 Likes

It’s a must watch, don’t miss out :fire::heart: Fuyao, you’ll hear the word yatou differently after watching, :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::star_struck::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::heart_eyes::rofl: and wonder why everyone says it wrong :laughing::rofl: in dramas.

6 Likes

Oh boy! Really? Now I have to watch it!!!
I’m just starting “The secret of love” but it’ll be definitely the next one!! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

looks like I am going to re watch this one.

4 Likes

Too long for a watch party, but I’ll watch it!

2 Likes

yeah too long for a watch party

Funny, I just put “Legend of Fuyao” in the ‘dramas you watched all the way through, but they weren’t worth it’ thread. LOL

5 Likes

they could have made it shorter,

5 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::heart_eyes::fire: check short Legend of Fuyao clip in this link :wink:

2 Likes

Sweet lord!! that looks amazing, now I’m thinking: what about starting that one today? lol

2 Likes