Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

@frustratedwriter @kdrama2020ali, @leerla73, @ninjas_with_onions, @porkypine90_261, @vivi_1485, @simi11, @worthyromance and so many others . . .

Christmas means different things to different people. For some, it is a religious season. For others it is a cultural experience. For me it is a time to feel extremely grateful that I am alive to see the winter holiday that is full of hope (while at the same time full of enough anxiety of different kinds to cause some folks to want to do extensive kimchi slapping!)

(Giphy)

At least the colors are approprate. :slight_smile:

Nine months ago, after being excessively careful and compliant regarding ā€œthe rona,ā€ I was coming out of the hospital as a survivor of COVID, blood clots on the lungs, pneumonia, and atrial fibrillation. I ended up with an extra diagnosis of mild congestive heart failure (caused by COVID). I had had an encounter with my own mortality that left me shaken. I did not know if I would be able to lead anything close to a ā€œnormalā€ life again.

I have spent nine months butting heads with doctors (well, yes, we could change your meds but why when they are working the way WE want them to?) . . . and nutritionists (donā€™t worry about salt but worry about salt) . . . and physical therapists (donā€™t walk more than twenty minutes a day exercises, exercise for twenty minutes a day) . . . and social workers (you need some housekeeping help for a couple of months but you donā€™t qualify for that because you donā€™t have Medicaid).

I was referred in August for counseling to help me get a better handle on how my COVID experience has affected my self-image and ability to maintain a daily routine . . . and I am waiting for a first appointment in January 2023.

Nevertheless, I have managed to get to a place where I have energy and focus and am almost back to normal when it comes to planning and executing a routine daily schedule.

I have managed to ā€œclawā€ my way back enough to work on subbing for After School Club; I am not quite back to the level of energy that would allow me to enjoy a late-night Viki watch party. Maybe by the summer.

I really do believe that being a part of the Viki Community has helped me in my recovery. The humor, the dedication, the shared love of dramatic excellence as embodied in ā€œAsianeseā€ dramasā€“all of these things have helped me keep going and thinking positively about my present and my future.

Just want to say thank you for being a unique part of my life on planet Earth.

And Happy Holidays!

(I donā€™t want a pony, just a stocking full of gimbap!)

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story of recovery. Youā€™ve been through a lot, but itā€™s nice to hear that things seem to be on the right track, and I hope they continue getting better and better.

Happy Holidays to you, too! I hope you are surrounded by love and light!

8 Likes

So happy that you are feeling better and and I hope that you will have a lovely holiday!

5 Likes

So glad you came out of that horrible experience on top ! Looking forward to your onward triumph. Here for ya!

6 Likes

misswillowlove I really hope you are better, we all are here for you

4 Likes

There was a man who had four sons. He wanted his sons to learn to not judge things too quickly. So he sent them each on a quest, in turn, to go and look at a pear tree that was a great distance away.

The first son went in the winter, the second in the spring, the third in summer, and the youngest son in the fall.

When they had all gone and come back, he called them together to describe what they had seen.

The first son said that the tree was ugly, bent, and twisted.

The second son said no ā€“ it was covered with green buds and full of promise.

The third son disagreed, he said it was laden with blossoms that smelled so sweet and looked so beautiful, it was the most graceful thing he had ever seen.

The last son disagreed with all of them; he said it was ripe and drooping with fruit, full of life and fulfillment.

The man then explained to his sons that they were all right, because they had each seen but one season in the treeā€™s life.

Moral Story

He told them that you cannot judge a tree, or a person, by only one season, and that the essence of who they are ā€“ and the pleasure, joy, and love that come from that life ā€“ can only be measured at the end, when all the seasons are up.

If you give up when itā€™s winter, you will miss the promise of your spring, the beauty of your summer, fulfilment of your fall.

Donā€™t judge a life by one difficult season. Donā€™t let the pain of one season destroy the joy of all the rest.

Author Unknown

May be a cartoon of tree

6 Likes

Aw misswillow - I have being going through some stuff also.

Your story helps me know Iā€™m not alone!

Happy Holidays to you and many Best Wishes for more Recovery!

8 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

I am so glad you are feeling better but sad that you had to go through all of that sickness and stress. As my dear departed mother used to say, " Better days ahead". Please take care of yourself and enjoy the upcoming holidays. BTW: I absolutely love your kimchi slapping gif. Be well.

7 Likes

One Sky
He said it in this speech.
#Dimash
English subtitles included.

2 Likes

@leerla73, All I can say is WOW. His speech articulates everything it has taken me a lifetime to put into words. The only way anyone can arrive at such conclusions the way life is meant to be lived is to have a strong experience of how life is NOT meant to be lived, to have a profound experience of loss and suffering, and to have a profound experience of not being taken seriously regarding matters of human degradation and human flourishing.

His work as a musician is very reminiscent of Yo Yo Maā€™s Silk Road Experience.

[The Music of Strangers: Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble | Concert - YouTube]
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWYo388T1XU&t=25s)

Being from Central Asia and from one of the ā€œStans,ā€ he is speaking truth to the two world powers which currently are causing so many people so much emotional, mental, and spiritual grief at the moment.

Oh, and let me not forget the world power which is enabling the two others to destroy so many lives.

Dimash is not carrying a gun, but he is so much more powerful than any commissar or general.

And on a side note, here is another group labeled Asian. What a weird, catch-all term that is. What weird terms everybody has for ethnicty and territory.

I have been labeled as Caucasian all my life, but Iā€™m not from the Caucasus mountains which Wikipedia says are a ā€œmountain range at the intersection of Asia and Europe.ā€

The Caucasus mountains are within the boundaries of modern Russia, which is not Asia. The Caucasian people are not pale Europeans like me, they are dark-haired and dark-eyed.

(Pinterest)

(Quora)

If I just accepted the label of Caucasian, people who are at all aware would look at me and say, ā€œYouā€™re not Asian, and you are definitely not brown-haired and brown-eyed. You are definitely mixed up about a few things, however. Does the American Census have a racial category called ā€˜Mentally Derangedā€™?ā€

https://media.giphy.com/media/KyHxKVoRkrmMij1t6I/giphy.gif
(Giphy)

On a lighter note, Dimash could do an arrangement of an old Walt Disney tune with some altered words:

ā€œWe are Asianese if you please, / we are Asianese if you donā€™t please!ā€

https://media.giphy.com/media/CyZiMkbtyT9Xa/giphy.gif
(Giphy)

2 Likes

Wishing you love and light!

As one who has passed through dark valleys of relearning to walk after a stroke left me paralyzed, and I relearned to type with just one hand, I can say that life is still worth living! There are people who love you, and we all have a capacity to love others.

This year I even learned to segment with one hand.

6 Likes

I knew it had to be something huge keeping you away. You were missed :slightly_smiling_face: I am thankful you persevered through all youā€™ve been through and so, Iā€™ll repost this here for you @worthyromance
Screenshot_20221216-105205_YouTube

5 Likes

4 Likes

I did the population counting in the city I once lived, walked from home to home asking questions, they werenā€™t (the questions) what people would always assume.

Folks at one house warned me if I came any closer to the door, they would take out the rifle!
I thought this is a madman and walked away. There is a law that states they need to provide information. When I talked with my supervisor about this, he said I should have called the copsā€¦

The Census helps getting grants from gov for schools, elderly and whatever, that is also one of the reasons this is done, but folks misunderstand this counting.

5 Likes

Well said and keep up the good spirit, donā€™t give up, reward will come.
Have a wonderful Christmas Season :christmas_tree::candle: :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Wow, I admire his courage to say openly as it is, the leaders should think deeply about what they are doing to the humanity worldwideā€¦ also what happens in Iran and Afghanistanā€¦ the constant harass and restriction of free will of the womenā€¦ the suppression is realā€¦

I wish for world peaceā€¦ I hope the Ukraine war will end soonā€¦ itā€™s so senseless and meaninglessā€¦ it creates only suffering on both partsā€¦ :dove:

4 Likes

Iā€™m spending christmas at the Veterinary clinic with one of my dogs this is the third time this the wound is cared fƶr, this week and im so greatfull that i have petā€¦

5 Likes

aww new years is upon us, and some likes to do those resolutions, me included. I found something that may help all of us ,so here goes

I did 10 resolutions for this coming year, so how about yā€™all??

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

6 Likes

anyone relate??

8 Likes