Self Study Korean - Textbook Recommendations, please!

Hello! I have been a part-time subtitler at Viki since March 2011.

I’m looking to improve my Korean to better my skills in translating written Korean to English (and English to Korean) as well as hopefully, professionally interpreting in the future.

What textbooks would you recommend for self-study?

I have tried looking at various free versions and preview pdfs online for Ewha and Yonsei. I’m not sure what “level” I’m in so when they describe Korean levels Intermediate or Advance with numbers ranging from 1~6, I’m not sure what to look for!

Thank you for reading!

i liked the online free thing run by ebs for topik exam. if too easy skip to next video.

you could also take the topik exam :slight_smile:

you could try studying from Korean textbooks made for Korean students…

1 Like

I used the book ‘Colloquial Korean’ by Danielle Ooyoung and In-Seok Kim. It’s a very good book for self-studying and it contains a cd for listening exercises as well.

1 Like

Hello, nutrient1,
try “Intermediate Korean” by Andrew Sangpil Byon and “Speed up your Korean” by Lucien Brown and Jaehoon Yeon, but the both are really for intermediate to advanced level, they are more for translating than for interpreting.
Good luck with your studying!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!
I recommend most of the Ewha books and for learning grammar Essential Korean Grammar by Kingdon is really good. :slight_smile:
Good luck!

1 Like

I bought Colloquial Korean, but I can’t say it’s a favorite of mine. I only use it to brush up on grammatical concepts that I’ve already learned. I find that it over complicates certain things, such as basic conjugation. Integrated Korean explained it in 3 lines!

But it really depends on your learning style.

1 Like

For me, it’s the only Korean grammar book I bought. The rest I learned on the internet. I don’t know about Integrated Korean, so I cannot say anything about it. But this book worked fine for me.

2 Likes